Saw the Weatherthans last night - FX Revelation

kidamnesiac

• Members

As the title says, I went to a Weakerthans show last night. I've always loved their tone and was interested in seeing what they were using.

From where I was standing the singer ran a Melody Maker into a small fender amp (not sure what it was).

The other guitar player played an SG Custom and a Les Paul w/ a mini humbucker in the neck into a Twin Reverb (maybe this was for his lap steel?) and an AC30.

He was pulling off some real nice sounds.

Now for the interesting part, I eventually moved to where I could get a better look at the floor to see what effects he was running...

...a Boss GT-6??? If not a GT-6, something very similar. Nonetheless, a multi-effects unit.

Damn. :cry:

and how much have I spent on effects??

:facepalm:

• Members
As the title says, I went to a Weakerthans show last night. I've always loved their tone and was interested in seeing what they were using.

From where I was standing the singer ran a Melody Maker into a small fender amp (not sure what it was).

The other guitar player played an SG Custom and a Les Paul w/ a mini humbucker in the neck into a Twin Reverb (maybe this was for his lap steel?) and an AC30.

Now for the interesting part, I eventually moved to where I could get a better look at the floor to see what effects he was running...

...a Boss GT-6??? If not a GT-6, something very similar. Nonetheless, a multi-effects unit.

Damn.
:cry:

HAHA!

yeah, seriously though, what did you expect?

• Members
HAHA!

yeah, seriously though, what did you expect?

not sure what i expected. but, he had some nice reverbs going. and i remember thinking that was a thick phase sound and a nice wah.

after that, my main goal was to make sure the fiance didn't see it. i know what would've happened: "what kind of pedal is that? you don't have one like that." then, "so, all the pedals are in one big pedal? why do you buy them all separately? it'd probably be cheaper".

the opening act had a hollow-body ibanez. she said "that's a nice guitar. is that an open-body gretschen?"

god love her

• Members
not sure what i expected. but, he had some nice reverbs going. and i remember thinking that was a thick phase sound and a nice wah.

after that, my main goal was to make sure the fiance didn't see it. i know what would've happened: "what kind of pedal is that? you don't have one like that." then, "so, all the pedals are in one big pedal? why do you buy them all separately? it'd probably be cheaper".

the opening act had a hollow-body ibanez. she said "that's a nice guitar. is that an open-body gretschen?"

god love her

:lol:

anyway....I like the weakerthans, I've not heard anything they have done lately though...I'll have to re-check them out. :thu:

I only bought the first album because it was the guy out of Propaghandi, but I really love that album.

• Members

i guess when you have timed tremelo, phase, flange, and delay on spots through out your set list like they do its probobly easier to program a multi effects unit than carry around a ton of differnt pedals to do the same thing or constantly tweek during your set.... you cant deny they get some great tones on there cds.... never got to see them live... one day hopefully.... did the singer have any effects?... i heard before that he used some type of tubescreamer....

• Members
I've always loved their tone and was interested in seeing what they were using.

Damn.

look again.

• Members

I only bought the first album because it was the guy out of Propaghandi, but I really love that album.

I didn't know that. Hah, makes me want to check them out.

Multi-fx can sound great. When I saw Opeth it was PRS guitars>Boss GT(?)>Laney amps. Great sound. I wouldn't want to play that setup (well, I'd rock a Laney), but you can't argue with good tone, no matter what it comes out of.

• Members

Damn.

The Weakerthans have my FAVORITE guitar tone of any band, ever. However, most of that tone was acquired in the studio. When the other guitarist turned on his PH3 the one time I saw them, my ears nearly melted off. I hate that {censored}ing pedal.

Archived