BYOC Large Beaver

• Members

It is likely my favorite pedal from them right now that I own. I built it to triangle specs and it absolutely sings. It's not too over the top, doesn't get {censored}ty when you turn the sustain down, and will get mean if you need it to. The EQ switch I may be implementing further down the road on some other fuzzes.

• Members

The muff is a fairly difficult build. Especially for a first time. The soldering and whatnot isn't hard, but the directions are a tad hard to follow because of all the possible versions. The pedal does sound very sweet once finished. Good luck with it. The guys on the BYOC forums are very helpful if you get stuck.

• Members

Agree with the others who are saying that you might have bitten off more than you can chew for a first DIY project.

That said, take it nice and slow, read each part of the instructions at least twice before you start soldering, work somewhere well lit with plenty of space, grab a beer, throw on some tunes and you'll be fine.

If you're a total n00b, watch the beginners videos on the BYOC site, and get yourself signed up on their forums just in case something does go wrong. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable folks on there.

• Members

I just ordered one too... Anyone know if it can do the old Russion big muff distortion. The old army green muffs, with the huge switch. That pedal rocks!

I think it's possible. BYOC doesn't provide the correct parts to build the green muff, but GGG certainly does. Given that, you DON'T have to go with GGG to build the pedal. You can just replace a few parts from the Ram's Head / Triangle kit with values that a green muff uses.

I'm looking at the GGG bills of materials and schematics for the Triangle and Green muffs, and it looks like most of the resistors are different as well as 3 capacitors. If you get the proper values for those, though, the circuit path should be the same and you shouldn't have any problem making the pedal you want

Guest Guest

Just built the BYOC triangle last night. It sounds {censored}ing incredible.

250 was my first build - would recommend.

• Members

I cant say I agree with all the byoc stuff....I used to think they were badass but looking closer theyre kinda overpriced and leave alot of space for someone to funk up on it and even the perfect build usually doesnt compare with another pedal of the same price already built.....

I have the three knob beaver pre built and its good but I dont want a good fuzz I want a badass fuzz.....I got the Wah built it, Its good its a wah it wahs......I made the Chorus that was a very good chrous in comparison to the others for the price.....last one I bought was the triboost......I think only one of the settings was useful really....for the price id prefer a Catalinbread.....smaller too....

As for the build.....join the BYOC forum they can be kinda jerks at times but theyll help/////sorta

• Members

I think it's possible. BYOC doesn't provide the correct parts to build the green muff, but GGG certainly does. Given that, you DON'T have to go with GGG to build the pedal. You can just replace a few parts from the Ram's Head / Triangle kit with values that a green muff uses.

I'm looking at the GGG bills of materials and schematics for the Triangle and Green muffs, and it looks like most of the resistors are different as well as 3 capacitors. If you get the proper values for those, though, the circuit path should be the same and you shouldn't have any problem making the pedal you want

Thanks! Do you think there is a way to add a toggle switch to switch between the stock BYOC triangle build and a green muff version? Similar to how the selector knob works on it.

• Members

My BYOC is by far, for my tastes, the best Muff I've played. Ever since I got it I couldn't help thinking "there's got to be something better out there". So far I haven't found one that does what I like better, it's perfect (well almost).

So far I've had an NYC, Dice Works, Ronsound Classic, Musket, Hoof v.2, and probably one or two I forgot and none of them do what I want better than the BYOC.

The version my buddy built for me was the Ram's Head. The fuzz has amazing clarity and the mid knob is awesome, but the way the fuzz breaks up is the best part. It gets just a little bit out of control and I love it, not too little and not too much.

The Ronsound was too out of control, NYC was too muddy, Diceworks was kind of sterile, Hoof didn't have clarity, and both the Musket and Hoof were too smooth.

It's definitely a matter of opinion depending on what you're looking for, but for what I want my BYOC beats everything else I've tried. The only thing it's lacking for me is bass, and I plan on modding it to add a little bass very soon.

• Members

Thanks! Do you think there is a way to add a toggle switch to switch between the stock BYOC triangle build and a green muff version? Similar to how the selector knob works on it.

i'd imagine that this is possible, but definitely not easy to accomplish. you'd probably have to build both PCBs and end up switching between the two. i don't know if there's an easier way to do it, though

• Members

Depends on how many different parts there are between the two. If there are say... 8 different parts, you could get 2 4PDT switches and hook them up. Or just get two boards like mentioned, which would probably end up being harder and more money

Archived