New Roland Fantom G6, G7, G8 at NAMM

A*X*7

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just wonder when and how hard Roland Fantom X prices will fall. I haven't seen any movement on them. A Fantom X 6 can be had now for $1669.00 minus a $200.00 rebate leaving a total cost of $1469.00. I wonder if they will drop below $1000.00. I can't see many people buying one, except the "thrifty" people like me (with such a good new product out by Roland). That is, unless the price is very attractive.

• Members

I just wonder when and how hard Roland Fantom X prices will fall. I haven't seen any movement on them. A Fantom X 6 can be had now for $1669.00 minus a $200.00 rebate leaving a total cost of $1469.00. I wonder if they will drop below $1000.00. I can't see many people buying one, except the "thrifty" people like me (with such a good new product out by Roland). That is, unless the price is very attractive.

The first place you will see movement is in the used market - there will be a glut of supply as people trade up. Eventually, prices there will bottom out and then stabilize higher.

On retail units, I wouldnt expect any additional savings until the G actually ships. When that happens, retailers will want the old units out of their inventory to make room for the new stock. That is when I would expect the best deals to be had on new X series.

but who knows? you might pick up bargains early.

• Members

The first place you will see movement is in the used market - there will be a glut of supply as people trade up. Eventually, prices there will bottom out and then stabilize higher.

On retail units, I wouldnt expect any additional savings until the G actually ships. When that happens, retailers will want the old units out of their inventory to make room for the new stock. That is when I would expect the best deals to be had on new X series.

but who knows? you might pick up bargains early.

Based on what happened with the Motif ES last year, yeah this is the scenario. The price dropped some at the announcement of the XS, then really took a tumble in the summer as the XS became widely available and Motif fanatics shed their old ES models in droves to help pay for their new model.

In the teeth of the sell-off you could find used ES6s for under $750. Lately the ES used price has actually gone up a bit.

• Members

I don't think the X / G scenario will be QUITE the same ...

... some of the biggest changes in the ES-->XS occurred in the UI (which is now damn slow on the XS) and giving it a more a more modern look with the color screen ...

... for a lot of potential buyers, the Fan-X won't seem as dated as the Motif ES ... of course, that's merely a perception issue but I do believe it will be an issue in the Fan-X's favor ...

The Fan-X is a very solid workstation ... I think many of the Fan-G improvements (improvements to the effects section, better sequencer, etc.) will appeal more seasoned Fan-X users and other musicians looking to "step up" to a Fan-X, Fan-G might just as well be happy with an X ... What's probably more important to the new owner is the improved SRX-sourced soundset ...

(Don't know how much the ARX cards will excite until they get a better selection out ... )

Personally, I don't really care ... I've gotten my $2k and then some out of my Fan-X7 ... and my SRX cards, which will protect some of the investment (IF I should choose to sell it ... ); Complete Orchestra, Studio, Supreme Dance and Ultimate Keys.

I think much of this will come down to how much better the Fan-G REALLY sounds vs. an SRX-equipped Fan-X ...

Looking forward to demoing a G ...

• Members

How? They are different. Don't kid yourself either. People seem to think the Roland will suffer from sound quality, a big issue with people who went away from the Fantom X. Also the Fantom-G can only record Audio to its RAM. It can't record to external storage such as flash drives or hard disks. The sequencer looks nice, but it's almost useless because it can only record to a maximum of 544 MB ram, pointless over 24 Audio Tracks? I would suspect that changing songs that each contained 544 MB of samples would slow down the instantaneous switching, since you only have one 544MB space to store samples. I know and understand that this is meant to be more of a "keyboard" workstation, butI was thinking with those inputs that one could make this work. It really should be able to track, two tracks at once, let say both vocal and guitar at one time, while being able to essentially send each to it's own track. A very basic 2 track type of setup. Why would one spend a couple thousand dollars for something that doesn't at least track 2 at one time. One of the biggest disappointments I'd say if I was a fan is that you can only add TWO ARX boards. The new screen is pretty huge in comparison to the previous models, but it still seems a little odd to navigate via buttons beneath the screen or the mouse. Every time the demo guy was switching around, it seemed that he was fumbling a bit with either the function buttons or the mouse. The mouse works on the screen of the G just like your computer mouse works on your monitor, but seems a bit of overkill to need a mouse for an 8" workstation screen. It supposed to be a performers board yet the Roland Fantom G8 weights 32Kgs-70Lbs... How do you gig with that? What disappoints a bit is that the sampling rate is still @ 44.1khz, the SonicCell has up to 96khz, are we going backwards?

• Members

Which do you like better: Studio or Ultimate Keys?

My Complete Orchestra in my 5080 needs a bed buddy.

They are different boards ...

1) Ultimate Keys ... EPs, Hammonds, clavs, and other keyboard instruments ... the other half of the card is vintage "analog" sounds ... there are various others sounds, too ...

2) Studio SRX: a smattering of all sorts of instruments ... (not as strong or focused as Ultimate Keys) ... but there are a couple of choir patches in there I absolutely wouldn't be without now ... (Might be a good choice for a one-SRX slot machine like the Juno-G)

I think most people consider Ultimate Keys far more essential and I would tend to agree ...

Picking SRX cards is tough because they are all quite good (although the number of so-so patches on Studio is a bit surprising) ...

I think that will be one of the interesting things about the Fan-G soundset is what Roland comes up with as the "best of the best."

I'm sure others will chime in, too ... Good luck ...

• Members

...What disappoints a bit is that the sampling rate is still @ 44.1khz, the SonicCell has up to 96khz, are we going backwards?

I asked the same question recently and Audacity replied by saying that the rate for recording is 44.1k, but for playback it's 24bit/96k as the Sonic Cell.

• Members

I asked the same question recently and Audacity replied by saying that the rate for recording is 44.1k, but for playback it's 24bit/96k as the Sonic Cell.

People get too hung up on sample rate frequency and bit-depth. In the end, it is the sound that counts.

I also think people are getting confused between Sample ROM playback specs, audio conversion specs, and user sampling specs.

The Fantom-G appears to have:

-- Sound ROM: 16-bit, 44.1 kHz playback (compressed data)

-- D/A conversion: 24-bit/96 kHz (according to AW)

-- User sampling/audio: stored at 16-bit, 44.1 kHz in Sample RAM

http://www.roland.com/products/en/Fantom-G8/specs.html

The Sonic Cell appears to have:

-- Sound ROM: 16-bit, 44.1 kHz playback (compressed data -- Wave memory is listed as "16-bit linear equivalent")

-- D/A Conversion: 24-bit, 44.1/48/96 kHz conversion

-- User sampling: none (it doesn't actually STORE sample data, correct?)

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=897&ParentId=20

Unless I am mistaken, the Sonic Cell acts as an audio interface, sending all of its recorded audio directly to the computer. This is contrasted with the Fantom series (X & G) that can store its audio track data in Sample RAM.

• Members

How? They are different. Don't kid yourself either. People seem to think the Roland will suffer from sound quality, a big issue with people who went away from the Fantom X. Also the Fantom-G can only record Audio to its RAM. It can't record to external storage such as flash drives or hard disks. The sequencer looks nice, but it's almost useless because it can only record to a maximum of 544 MB ram, pointless over 24 Audio Tracks?

Pointless for some, perhaps, but not those with judicious use of sound. I'm not the type to expect my keyboard to be ProTools. 544MB is still 4-1/2 minutes of all 24 audio tracks playing all the time with no edits or repeats/loops, which, along with the other 18 parts, would sound like cacophonic ass. It's not wise to drag a hard drive-based keyboard on a world tour. What happens if it crashes? Also note that the MV-8x00 has the same (actually, smaller) 512MB limit per project. And tons of great tracks (plus quite a few soundtracks) have been created on it.

And if the G's anything like the X, you'll most likely be able to find a 1GB chip that'll work.

I would suspect that changing songs that each contained 544 MB of samples would slow down the instantaneous switching, since you only have one 544MB space to store samples.

Sure, if when playing live, each song requires 102 stereo minutes of audio. Ashley Simpson and Milli Vanilli would be so proud.

Why would one spend a couple thousand dollars for something that doesn't at least track 2 at one time.

Because expecting your keyboard to track drums is... unrealistic? And being visibly upset about it is... dumb? Okay, not you, but others are super pissed for some stupid reason. I can certainly see thinking "Oh man, it's too bad I can't do serious VS-2480-style multitracking. Oh well, neither can the other guys. At least I have 24 playback tracks."

One of the biggest disappointments I'd say if I was a fan is that you can only add TWO ARX boards.

I'll agree with you 100% there. Roland obviously wants to sell ARX boards

Archived