Just got a killer offer on CL!!

jhamnett

• Members

I listed my pedals for sale on CL and got this reply. Extra money and he's paying for shipping:

"Good day sir,

Please kindy remove your advert. I am prepared to offer you 20 extra USD to complete this transaction. I am currently in the UK but would your Big pedal sell off (Monsterpiece, BBE, Mellowtone, Maestro...), I will utilize a shipping company to collect the items. Please send your phone number, address, name, social security number and I will send a bank cert. check in two day's time.

-Lebron, King of Scotland."

OK, so this seems like an obvious scam, but the great part is that this email was actually sent from a forumite. Guess which one it is and I'll give you a cookie :thu:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're all over Craigslist. I've been on the search for housing and thought I found a great deal until I got this email:

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hearing from you.I am Rev Sean Brown,the owner of the house you are making enquiry of.Actually I resided in the house with my family,such as my wife and my only daugther before and resently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in the London,UK and presently my house is still available for rent for $630 per month including the utilities like hydro,washer and security,it is urnised.

Moreso Now,I went for a Crusade in the West Africa through my Church Redeemed Christain Church Of God and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in the state for more discussion as She is with the keys and the document to the house.Pls i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also i spent alot on my property that i want to give you for rent.

So i will solicit for your absolute mentenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i came for a check up.i do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.Where are you located and where do you see our advert also let us know if you need more pictures.

Email my wife Sara Brown. on (
sarabrown092@gmail.com
) and she will

attends to you better.

I figured, what the hell, email his "wife" and got this email:

Thank you very much for taking your time to write me.l really appreciate the whole effort that you have shown towards our apartment.l want you to know that all we want is a very responsible tenant that will treat and respect our apartment with utmost care.Thanj you very much for the brilliant question.l want you to know that our apartment square footage is 850sq.ft

Like you know the most important thing for evry apartment/house owner is to find a very responsible tenant that will take absolute care of there apartment as if it were his/her own. lf you can assure us that you will take absolute care of our apartment ,if we let you rent from us. We will be happy to let you rent from us for as long as you wish to rent our apartment.

Let me quickly introduce myself to you. My name is Felicia and my husband's name is Chris.My husband is the owner of the apartment you are making enquiry of, but right now he's in West Africa on a missionary work, l was suppose to travel with him,but some months before he traveled, l had a very serious car accident, that affected my back bone and brain, which led to my disability..Now l am using wheel chair and l find it very difficult to talk, the easiest way to reach me is via email or any means of writting.that is the reason l was unable to travel with with my husband. Right now, l am staying with my mother in

Ohio.She is also suffering from lungs cancer.

Actually I and my husband both resided in our apartment before he traveled to West Africa on a missionary work, so we both agreed to rent/lease our apartment, to somebody that can take absolute care of our apartment. Like l told you earlier on, we are looking for

a very responsible tenant that will take absolutely care of our apartment with care and respect.because, we will not like to experience what we experienced from our last tenant.He destroyed most of our valuable home appliances ,l know how much my

husband spent to replace the things our last tenant destroyed in our apartment before he moved out.

To be honest with you, a whole lot of people are contacting me regarding our apartment, but l am not sure of who to accept due to our past experience, so we're really taking our time to inspect and look for a very responsible person, that will take proper care of our apartment. My husband is a very busy man, due to the nature of his job, but he said if l find a responsible person, that promise to take care of our apartment, l should let him know.

Here is the address of our apartment (2554 Front St.San Diego, CA 92103 ) l believe you will fall in love with our apartment, because it is located in a secured and clean neighborhood. As soon as l hear from you, l will send you more information regarding our apartment. Once again, thank you very much for the time you took in writing me. l must tell you that l really appreciate it. Hope to hear from you soon, so that l can provide you with more information regarding our apartment.

Yours Sincerely

Felicia Chris

I hate how they get your hopes up :(

• Members

me too. how does the scam work so I don't get butt{censored}ed?

They either ask for a deposit upfront for "security" reasons (this is just to view the place :rolleyes: ) or they ask for a copy of your passport...

{censored}ing idiots... you should see some of the jokers on gumtree over here in the UK... at least that email looked semi real...

• Members

They either ask for a deposit upfront for "security" reasons (this is just to view the place
:rolleyes:
)
or they ask for a copy of your passport...

{censored}ing idiots... you should see some of the jokers on gumtree over here in the UK... at least that email looked semi real...

would they not need a photocopy of ID if you wanted to move in?

or do you mean just to view the place?

Archived