Holy Grail Nano

ShuGAZER

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How does the NHG compare to the DigiVerb?

Much better than the Digiverb, IMO. It's more natural sounding. One of my dislikes about the Digiverb is that as I increase the wet signal, I do get a volume drop. Not so with the HG Nano.

• Members

Niceeee. how does it mix with the rv7?

if you had to choose one, which one would you choose the hardwire or the holy grail?

It mixes well with the RV-7. Choosing one over the other is a bit hard as they each have their own pros and cons. I love the Reverse Reverb on the RV-7 and the other reverbs sound great as well, but it only kills your dry signal on Reverse mode. Also, the RV-7 can sound a bit too digital if you go overboard on the settings. The Holy Grail Nano is smaller, much simpler to use, and can give you lush wet reverbs, but it lacks tone controls. It may not be the ideal reverb pedal for everyone, but it definitely works for me and will likely appeal to those who liked the original Holy Grail.

• Members

my classic holy grail doesnt have a volume drop.

im glad they kept it original though.

yea mine doesn't have a volume drop either, only if you turn the reverb all the way up does it get lost in the mix (although I kind of like it all the way up sometimes, just have to turn up a tad)

• Members

why?

The nano is less than the chicken? that's a win/win in my book.

As much as I love EHX, I'd feel better about supporting an up-and-coming builder. Also the demos of the Spring Chicken sound amazing and I love its aesthetics. Not to say that any Grail is lacking; I'm sure this one sounds just as great.

• Members

The only reason my Holy Grail isn't on my board is because it doesn't work with a 1 spot and I don't have another power supply to run it. Definitely thinkin about getting rid of it for the Nano version.

• Members
As much as I love EHX, I'd feel better about supporting an up-and-coming builder. Also the demos of the Spring Chicken sound amazing and I love its aesthetics. Not to say that any Grail is lacking; I'm sure this one sounds just as great.

I guess most of the clips I've heard of the chicken didn't do much for me, it sounds a lot like a delay trying to be a reverb or something :idk:

• Members

The only reason my Holy Grail isn't on my board is because it doesn't work with a 1 spot and I don't have another power supply to run it. Definitely thinkin about getting rid of it for the Nano version.

The Nano works great with a 1 Spot which is what I'm using on my board. Incidentally, I bought the Holy Grail Nano at a local Guitar Center. Apparently, they will no longer be carrying the original so it's priced the same as the original.

• Members

It mixes well with the RV-7. Choosing one over the other is a bit hard as they each have their own pros and cons. I love the Reverse Reverb on the RV-7 and the other reverbs sound great as well, but it only kills your dry signal on Reverse mode. Also, the RV-7 can sound a bit too digital if you go overboard on the settings. The Holy Grail Nano is smaller, much simpler to use, and can give you lush wet reverbs, but it lacks tone controls. It may not be the ideal reverb pedal for everyone, but it definitely works for me and will likely appeal to those who liked the original Holy Grail.

Have you compared the RV-7 with a digiverb? I had a Grail and a Digiverb, and I kept the Digiverb, because I like the tone control, separate decay and level knobs, and I like plate reverb more than spring.

edit:also i'm curious if the Hardwire series improved the switch? I hate the spongy feel of the X-series.

• Members

I keep reading how some people don't have the volume drop issues with the HG. I've had the HG (just sold it actually) and the HG+, both of which turn the volume down as the reverb goes up. How can some pedals not do this? Surely it's intrinsinctly part of how the circuit works? :idk:

The Boss reverbs are the same and I wish there was a reverb pedal that didn't do it! It'd be good to see a pedal with a mix for the reverb and another one for the guitar signal, or at least one where the guitar is always in the mix.

Anyway, For a standard, solid sounding reverb, the HG is pretty good.

• Members

Have you compared the RV-7 with a digiverb? I had a Grail and a Digiverb, and I kept the Digiverb, because I like the tone control, separate decay and level knobs, and I like plate reverb more than spring.

Yeah, the reverbs on the RV-7 sound better to me than the Digiverb, although the Digiverb can cut the dry signal completely where the RV-7 can only do it in the Reverse Reverb setting.

• Members

Where did you get it? I'm looking around on GC and MusiciansFriend for prices and they don't have any. There's only 1 on eBay and its $118...

I got it at a local Guitar Center store. It's not online yet. It's priced the same as the original Holy Grail. $118 and some change is what I paid for mine.

• Members

Yeah, the reverbs on the RV-7 sound better to me than the Digiverb, although the Digiverb can cut the dry signal completely where the RV-7 can only do it in the Reverse Reverb setting.

Cool thanks. I believe I have to buy this RV-7, damnit.

Archived