TU2 Users - First in chain or last?

• Members

I read somewhere that it's better to put the TU2 late in your chain to avoid "tone suck". I'm no tone snob, but has anyone found any truth in this?

I've currently got mine after dirt and before delay (so I can tune up with some background noise).

So where do you put your TU2? What do the "pros" do?

• Members

Early in chain, unless you have a buffer sensitive (i.e. germanium based fuzz pedal) pedal, in which case, you'd put the TU-2 after it.

I have never had a problem with Boss buffers sucking my tone, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Members

first in chain, but i dont know a thing about "tone"

{censored} tone.

Thanks guys. I'm having a hell of a time with my pedal layout. I prefer to have my frequently used pedals in one row - I hate stepping over pedals all the time - and my DIY board isn't cooperating.

• Members

you don't have to lay them out in order of the chain. I have my pedals out of order on my pedalboard so that the ones I need to step on regularly are in the row closest to me. Just lay them out the way you want, and then cable them according to best order.

• Members

The idea of using it as a kill switch is interesting, though I don't find it very practical for me when tuning because I'd have to be sure that all of the pedals were disengaged first to get an accurate signal into the tuner.

I have many pedals with effect out and direct out (EHX of course). I use a direct out from one of the pedals closest to the beginning of the chain as a tuner out.

• Members

I don't have one, but thinking about it, I'm sure it does suck some tone. It would be best to have it last so that you're sending more direct tone into your other pedals before reaching the TU-2. That way it is only tainting the out-signal and your pedals that you actually use when playing will be receiving a better signal.

Another alternative is to just buy the Hardwire tuner and call it a day.

Nice avatar by the way, one of my favorite albums.

• Members

The idea of using it as a kill switch is interesting, though I don't find it very practical for me when tuning because I'd have to be sure that all of the pedals were disengaged first to get an accurate signal into the tuner.

I have many pedals with effect out and direct out (EHX of course). I use a direct out from one of the pedals closest to the beginning of the chain as a tuner out.

I also use my Tu-2 in the Dry Out of my MicroPog, which is at the very beginning of the chain. I use my amp's footswitch, which has a Tune/Mute switch, to tune silently.

• Members

I've done it both ways. I used to use it last so it would act as a killswitch for all my noisy pedals, but I ended up moving it first later when I put all my other pedals into true bypass loops. I really don't think it makes as much of a difference as some people want you to believe. Just put it wherever it's most convenient for you.

Archived