Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Lounge! Come on in and share your secrets.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone was asking me about the phaser on the Axe Fx. I think it was FrankieJ... anyway, here's a brief clip of me scrolling thru a few of the phaser parameters, including the vibe. The blocks went: Phaser block, Amp Block (JTM45), Cab block, Reverb.

Awesome. I've been looking for some vibe/phaser clips. I want to A/B the Captain Coconut 2 with the Ultra and see if how much of the tone I can replicate from the Hot Silicon Fuzzfoot and Provibe. Can't wait.

Thanks again for the clips. Is there a way to assign an ECS type parameter to the vibe setting in order to make the speed/width of the effect controlled by pick attack and dynamics?

• Members

Awesome. I've been looking for some vibe/phaser clips. I want to A/B the Captain Coconut 2 with the Ultra and see if how much of the tone I can replicate from the Hot Silicon Fuzzfoot and Provibe. Can't wait.

Thanks again for the clips. Is there a way to assign an ECS type parameter to the vibe setting in order to make the speed/width of the effect controlled by pick attack and dynamics?

Yes, you can assign an envelope or LFO to control a lot of parameters on the Axe FX

• Members

Yeah. As I've mentioned before in one of my threads you can have pitch controlled parameters as well which makes for a lot of interesting effects that you couldn't make using a traditional stompbox style setup

• Members

Yeah. As I've mentioned before in one of my threads you can have pitch controlled parameters as well which makes for a lot of interesting effects that you couldn't make using a traditional stompbox style setup

Yeah, the first thing I want to do is replicate as many of the effects I've sold (or will sell) so I can justify to myself why I sold them. I know it sounds stupid. I am pretty attached to some of my gear, so selling it hurts unless I can justify it. I love the clip that Zygoat posted. It just shows a tiny snippet of what types of phaser/vibe sounds that are possible and there is SO much more.

• Members
where do you buy these things? i googled Fractal Audio and nothing really came up.

You have to order, either off Fractal Audio directly (USA) or G66 (Europe).

Been running a strat off clean sounds for the past hour or so. Man this thing is amazing :)

• Members

would love to have one... but just got myself a bad cat.

See my problem here is what happens when it clunks out, i mean you can take an amp to a shop and get it fixed no matter whats wrong with it. What would you do in this situation?

• Members

I'm an AxeFX'r too, but don't have a whole lot of stuff to share other than how I've been using mine.

One simple little thing that I do is use a CC pedal to blend back and forth between two amps. Many of the tunes that I play where there are changes between clean and distorted or mild distortion and heavy distortion, I just put two amp blocks and then assign the level to a CC and have one start being at 0 or close and the end value to be 100 or close and then set the CC range on the other amp to be opposite and then play with the slope to make sure there's not a drop in volume when the CC is in the middle.

Works awesome.

I also use the auto engage on the wah as well, which is kick ass for having a great wah that's CC controllable too.

• Members

Last night I was messing around with a riff, and continuing my quest for good high gain sounds. The Mark IIC+ is probably my favorite amp sim at the moment, but I "discovered" the CAE 3 Lead amp sim again. At first glimpse I wasn't terribly blown away by it but paired with the right cab it can bring the rock.

Here's a comparison between the two.

Mark IIC+

CAE 3 LD

Aaron, I remember you saying that one of your favorite high gain sounds was a modified take on the Petrucci rhythm patch. Do you still use the Cali 4x12 cab with that? There's something about that cab model I just can't stand, it's way too boomy for me. What do you think?

• Members
Last night I was messing around with a riff, and continuing my quest for good high gain sounds. The Mark IIC+ is probably my favorite amp sim at the moment, but I "discovered" the CAE 3 Lead amp sim again. At first glimpse I wasn't terribly blown away by it but paired with the right cab it can bring the rock.

Mark IIC+

CAE 3 LD

Aaron, I remember you saying that one of your favorite high gain sounds was a modified take on the Petrucci rhythm patch. Do you still use the Cali 4x12 cab with that? There's something about that cab model I just can't stand, it's way too boomy for me. What do you think?

Very cool. The MKIV sounds very open and lively while the CAE sounds tighter and a bit more refined. I bet they would sound incredible running together.:)

• Members

I tend to agree with the thoughts on the cab and I use a V30 impulse response with mine.

• Members

I'm a little freaked out about the IR's because I haven't read about them yet, therefore, I don't know what the hell they really do or how to use them. I'm assuming they are like a cab sim that was bade by "snippets" of sound produced by the actual cab, but I have no idea how it actually works. I guess I better get to reading...

• Members

Heh. I read about IRs on the wiki and I'm still freaked out, so don't feel bad.

The stock cabs are plenty for me right now. If it comes to the point where I can't get epic TOAN out of the stock cabs then perhaps I'll look into IRs.

• Members
Heh. I read about IRs on the wiki and I'm still freaked out, so don't feel bad.

The stock cabs are plenty for me right now. If it comes to the point where I can't get epic TOAN out of the stock cabs then perhaps I'll look into IRs.

That's exactly what I'm counting on.

I can't believe my Ultra is sitting in D.C. right now just collecting dust. :mad:

• Members

IR's really are great, basically they are the measured difference in sound between a sine wave played through a cab and it's original form or at least that's how I understand it. In turn the axe fx loads the difference and applies it to the sound you put through it to give the same general response.

Zygoat do you have any of your patches uploaded? I'd definitely be interested in checking them out.

Archived