Um.... you might want to get an Earthquaker Tone Reaper real quick.

• Members

What are the differences between the Hoof and the Tone Reaper? I know one is a Muff and one is a Tone Bender, but how do these differ in sound? Just ant to know if I'm covered with my Hoof, or if I should be thinking about the Reaper.

In short, the Hoof is cleaner and more compressed w/ a tighter low end. The Reaper is more nasty and open.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In short, the Hoof is cleaner and more compressed w/ a tighter low end. The Reaper is more nasty and open.

Does it have as much low end as the Hoof does? And how about the tone knob? does it go from super dark to super bright like a muff or is the tone sweep not as big as a muff?

• Members

I got my TR pedal about an hour ago. This being my first EQD unit, I must say that I'm pretty impressed. :thu:

It's almost kinda like a muff, but clearer, and less grittier.

It doesn't induce ear fatigue like some other fuzzes out there. Sounds absolutely Godly with my Guild tuned down a full step. I can't stop playing old Black Sabbath tunes. :rawk:

#003.

pedals002-1.jpg

• Members
I got my TR pedal about an hour ago. This being my first EQD unit, I must say that I'm pretty impressed.
:thu:
It's almost kinda like a muff, but clearer, and less grittier.

It doesn't induce ear fatigue like some other fuzzes out there. Sounds absolutely Godly with my Guild tuned down a full step. I can't stop playing old Black Sabbath tunes.
:rawk:

So does it have tons of fuzz, or just a moderate amount?

• Members
So does it have tons of fuzz, or just a moderate amount?

Not so much as a fuzz like a big muff, but there's enough to where you can play older classic and/or proto metal.
I've played it a bit more tonight and I just love how it doesn't seem to color the tone too much. I hate that word "transparent" when explaining or giving reviews, but that's exactly how it is. It retains your guitars signature sonic characteristics very nicely. There's so much clarity even when the tone knob is maxed out. You won't have to deal with a muddy washed out sound.
I'll have more time with it tomorrow and see how it reacts to my SG Classic. I hope that helps. :thu:

• Members
P1010291.jpg

Wow. There's not a lot to it on the inside, is there? I like the way the resistor connects from the footswitch to the LED.

I always shots of the insides of boutique pedals. The photos from GGG are intended for beginners like me (I just recently built my first pedal, a "Rodent" ProCo RAT clone). But it helps to see how the wiring is done on a high-end pedal.

Makes me want to build a Dallas Arbiter germanium fuzz clone next.

Anyway, nice lookin' pedal! Bet it sounds nice, too.

• Members
Not so much as a fuzz like a big muff, but there's enough to where you can play older classic and/or proto metal.

I've played it a bit more tonight and I just love how it doesn't seem to color the tone too much. I hate that word "transparent" when explaining or giving reviews, but that's exactly how it is. It retains your guitars signature sonic characteristics very nicely. There's so much clarity even when the tone knob is maxed out. You won't have to deal with a muddy washed out sound.

I'll have more time with it tomorrow and see how it reacts to my SG Classic. I hope that helps.
:thu:

Does it get super dark when the tone knob is all the way down? does it get super bassy like a muff?

• Members

Its not a tone knob in the traditional sense so you wont hear the same type of tone sweep you have in a big muff. You get more bass emphasis or more treble emphasis depending on where the knob is set. No setting is super dark.

• Members

I've had a bit of time to play through the TR today.

I plugged in my SG that's in standard tuning.

Now, I have zero experience with tone bender type circuits and the only other germanium based fuzz that I have is a London Fuzz by MJM. That's what immediately came to mind at first, but with a more responsive fuzz control.

You can get anywhere from a high pitched transistor radio type sound to a fairly thick fuzz that isn't overwhelming like a muff.

When backing off the volume on my guitar the pedal doesn't clean up as well as a germanium fuzz face would, but it still yields usable sounds.

For the amount of tones that you can achieve and the asking price that Jamie's got this unit priced at you can't go wrong. Highly recommended. :thu:

• Members

Now, I have zero experience with tone bender type circuits and the only other germanium based fuzz that I have is a London Fuzz by MJM. That's what immediately came to mind at first, but with a more responsive tone control.

Your London Fuzz has a tone control?

Also, anyone know how this compares to the MJM 3-knob Brit Bender?

• Members

Your London Fuzz has a tone control?

Also, anyone know how this compares to the MJM 3-knob Brit Bender?

the 3 knobby britbender is more compressed and round sounding has less sustain and it's nastier sounding.

the tone reaper has a more open sound great for rhythm stuff or leads....great sustain as well.

i favor the TR but that's me

• Members

Got mine a couple days ago, #5. I was surprised how well it does super heavy matamp-sounding riffage stuff. Also does a great garage-rock trashy fuzz rhythm sound with the tone rolled to the treble end. I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna keep it though, as I feel the screwdriver covers a lot of its range (strange as that might sound).

IMG_6419.jpg

Archived