The Official "Bee Thousand": Guided by Voices Lounge

• Members

First of all, so I don't have to type OT: in front of the thread title, does anyone know what phaser Tobin Sprout was using on this album?

Next question: Has anyone read this book yet? If it's good, I'm going to buy it immediately.

http://books.google.com/books?id=biWn7LDnLqUC

There are a few albums that have changed my life, and this is one of them. Pollard is a genius, a statement which should provide some fuel for debate.

http://www.gbvdb.com/album.asp?albumid=1320

zN9x6zckn18

bee_thousand.jpg

GBVbee+copy.jpg

200px-The_Grand_Hour_EP.jpg

• Members

kicker of elves

out!

"On high seas in search of

The sickly sweet milk of selfish love

And knife these for warm fresh blood

In studded crown the thief of souls

The parasites - the bugs of gold

This fertile land now spoiled and sold..."

The rantings of a madman? :freak:

Guest Guest

I {censored}ing love that album. Huge impact on sixteen-year-old me. Echos Myron is one of my absolute favorite pop songs.

• Members

Bee Thousand is a great record. Is Mr. Pollard a genius. Lo no so. He is prolific and its hard to keep up with the many releases. I LOVE the not in my airforce solo record and the new Boston Spaceships stuff.

I'm sure the phaser was nothing special.

Guest Guest

Did anyone hear the Trail of Dead cover of Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory? I only read about it, and it sounded hilarious.

• Members

I hardly ever post in effects, but I Guided by Voices so much. They are basically my favorite band

Next question: Has anyone read this book yet? If it's good, I'm going to buy it immediately.

that book is really cool. There is a lot of college thesis-sounding analysis of the songs that can be a bit boring and bits of it get repeated quite a bit, but there is also a lot of interesting stuff. Best part is a 23 page essay by Bob about writing and recording the album. The book is basically worth it for that alone. Other chapters are written by some other band members. I just grabbed the book to check. Dan Toohey, Greg Demos, Tobin,Kevin Fennell, and Don Thrasher all have written their own chapters. Also, Robert Griffin, the president of Scat Records has a chapter as well. It's also cool to see the picture of Tobin's 4 track, and the memory man with the "hot freaks setting" drawn on in marker so they wouldn't forget.

• Members

Best part is a 23 page essay by Bob about writing and recording the album. The book is basically worth it for that alone....

It's also cool to see the picture of Tobin's 4 track, and the memory man with the "hot freaks setting" drawn on in marker so they wouldn't forget.

You just made my day, Cassette :thu:

EHX have been asking for classic tracks that use a Memory Man, and "Hot Freaks" definitely takes the cake. I had no idea.

• Members

I saw them on tour for BT. It was at a tiny place in South Central called Jabberjaw. It was one of the greatest performances ever!! I love the album and could listen to it once a week if I wanted. Peep hole and Your not an airplane are the saddest sounding tunes. I love it :love:

• Members

I saw them on tour for BT. It was at a tiny place in South Central called Jabberjaw. It was one of the greatest performances ever!! I love the album and could listen to it once a week if I wanted. Peep hole and Your not an airplane are the saddest sounding tunes. I love it
:love:

You are soooo lucky! I've seen them several times, but my first time seeing them was in '94 (I think, man that was a long time ago).

There was a helluvalotta great American Rock music in the Nineties, but I have to say that GBV trumps them all where I stand. Nirvana might've had more ignition, but it burned out too fast. GBV kept it burnin' long enough to leave behind a nice long vapor trail.

• Members

So close to having Bob as a teacher in grade school. Just missed him by half a year. One of my all time favourite groups. I would more then happy defend 'Game of Pricks' being the greatest pop songs ever written.

Listening to a lot of their early 4 track stuff inspired me to ditch computer recording and stick to cassette tape.

Haven't read the 33 book, but I have read this. Pretty good read as well. As for the phaser I would imagine it was something cheap. Small Stone maybe? Doesn't really sound like a Phase 90.

• Members

I saw them a few years ago in a small place in Buffalo, NY. Those dudes went through two big coolers of beer during the set and broke into a 12 pack after that. Great show!

Their Orlando shows were notorious. The entire band wore raincoats during the whole show because they would be drenched in beer. It was ridiculous. It was hard to enjoy the show because it would turn into f'in Animal House. At their farewell gig, they had to make an announcement that they would quit the show if anyone starting sloshing beer at the stage.

• Members

yeah... his dad is my grandmother's sister's son.... i think. i always heard them talk about him being stupid for ditching his teaching gig.

Right, like if you quit a k-12 teaching gig, you won't ever get another chance to do that again :facepalm: Seems to me that many school districts will hire you as long as you have a pulse. You can hear his frustration on Bee Thousand quite clearly.

• Members

great album, quite a bit of crap on there though

I even love the crap. I was listening to the album this morning, and even the weakest tracks that only last about 30sec add to the brilliant whimsy of the album. Personally, I wouldn't move a hair on that album.

Archived