The Official "Bee Thousand": Guided by Voices Lounge

• Members
Right, like if you quit a k-12 teaching gig, you won't ever get another chance to do that again
:facepalm:
Seems to me that many school districts will hire you as long as you have a pulse. You can hear his frustration on
Bee Thousand
quite clearly.

look at it from the family's side of things... you have a good job, and you quit one day to focus on the {censored} you've been recording in your basement on a 4-track.

• Members

look at it from the family's side of things... you have a good job, and you quit one day to focus on the {censored} you've been recording in your basement on a 4-track.

Understood. I'm sure my family would react the exact same way if I quit my job to play beer-drenched clubs with a lofi rock band right now. I can't say that sounds appealing to me in the least, but I admire your Uncle Robert's courage to take a risk and pursue his passion all the same.

"Most of us are quite pleased with the same old song

And all of a sudden I'm relatively sane

With everything to lose and nothing to gain

Or something like that

Man of wisdom and man of compromise

Man of weak flesh in an armored disguise

All fall down

"If it's right you can tell" echos Myron like a siren

With endurance like the liberty bell

And he tells you of the dreamers

But he's cracked up like the road

And he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load

And we're finally here and {censored} yeah, it's cool

and shouldn't it be - or something like that"

• Members

such an awesome period for the band

sprout was the perfect balance for pollard

Agreed. I was listening to Universal Truths & Cycles on vinyl today. It's a good album, and at that point GBV had become a very polished sounding rock band. But it doesn't have the mad imagination of the early stuff. I truly believe that his experiences working as a teacher in a 4th grade classroom inspired his most creative, whimsical, and adventurous recording.

Archived