Best Fuzz for drone/stoner/doom?

• Members

What's the deal with the doomidrive?

And wouldn't there be some overlap with the BB and the SC?

from brad davis: "the Doomidrive is a version of the uber rare Univox Uni-drive. Used by Jimmy Page in the early 70's. I was able to borrow an original unit to match the tones. It uses the the original OEM transistors as the original. Its a heavy sounding distortion booster with tons of output. I've modified the original circuit to have a bottom control to dial in as much low end as you need and there's plenty to be had. Although capable of some pretty brutal tones it also cleans up very well with the volume control and can be used as a more conventional dirty boost. Is great with bass too."

there might be some overlap between the bluebeard and the supercollider, but i won't know until i A/B them. either way, i'm stricken with fuzzlust.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes. I would say so

If the mark series are tighter than rectifiers, and i found a rectifier on the bold setting with tube rectification too tight, then marks will be way too tight. (bold setting is looser feeling than spongey - gives you a nice boost in the mids and bass)

Could the Electra Dyne maybe be Mesa's answer to a suitable Stoner amp for the brand ???

Would also love to hear an older Stage I Mesa Stiletto Duece on the most stoner-like settings and with much, much "warmer-than-stock" valves/toobs. (...with 2 Private Jacks & 2 Swamp Thangs in an x-pattern)

• Members

Could the Electra Dyne maybe be Mesa's answer to a suitable Stoner amp for the brand ???

Would also love to hear an older Stage I Mesa Stiletto Duece on the most stoner-like settings and with much, much "warmer-than-stock" valves/toobs. (...with 2 Private Jacks & 2 Swamp Thangs in an x-pattern)

if the electradyne is just mesa tone in a jcm800 format, then yes i woudl say so. If you get the simple lower gain structure, simple controls, with extra mids and low end. It woudl be thunky. I'd love to try one.

But honestly, the best stoner tones i've been able to create have been from tweed style fenders, sunns, and fuzzes.

• Members

if the electradyne is just mesa tone in a jcm800 format, then yes i woudl say so. If you get the simple lower gain structure, simple controls, with extra mids and low end. It woudl be thunky. I'd love to try one.

But honestly, the best stoner tones i've been able to create have been from tweed style fenders, sunns, and fuzzes.

I was pretty happy with my AB-165 Bassman, into two 4X12 cabs, but it was not my cabs, and after four months, the owner asked to get them back :cry:.

I wonder how the Canadian Peters HALO amp will be.

some people over at TGP says it has this HiWatt thing going on.

http://steamcomusic.com/petersamps/index.html - HALO

Damping

" Less damping (clockwise) gives a more aggressive/deeper sound while more damping (counterclockwise) gives a softer/mellower sound. This control tailors the amp

Archived