Musket Fuzz????

tri99er

• Members

So I am just needing the right Fuzz/Muff for my board everything else is final (been so for the last year) but I can't seem to find the right fuzz/muff.

Here is what I have been through

- Mayo: Great fuzz, shouldn't have sold it, but not worth what people are asking for it.

- Zero: Same comments as the Mayo, but meaner sounding.

- LBM: Alright, but wasn't defined enough

- Hoof: Like it, still have it, but it isn't aggressive enough for what I am really after.

- Big Muff w/Tone Wicker: Currently on my board, it's good but it's not great.

I would rank them in this order:

Mayo, Zero, BMw/TW, Hoof, LBM

Seen alot about the Musket Fuzz, and the demo's sound pretty good. Just wondering if it is Mayo like.

Damn I never should have sold my Mayo, I have a bad feeling I will need to suck it up and pay the ridiculous price people are asking for it, but I would rather not.

• Members

I've gone through several fuzzes over the past year: Fuzz Factory, Machine, Lunar Module, Ernie.... but my Dual Fuzz pwns them all.

The Musket is one of the most versatile fuzz pedals I've played through and I do not plan on selling it ever.

DSCF1488.jpg

• Members

The Mayo is probably the 2nd best muff I've had..... Musket would be a strong #3. Ernie is #1.

The Musket fuzz is VERY versatile and a really nice pedal on the whole. If you don't want to shell out Skreddy bucks, that'd probably do you fine.

• Members

Here's a clip where I compare it to a Fire Red Fuzz..... maybe you've already heard it though. Ernie is fuzz #2.

Also, my Ernie is a little beefier now than it was in this clip. When I sent it in, Marc said that it had an atypical cap and transistor in there. I had him change the cap, but leave the transistor (same one as is in the Mayo) in it. Anyway, it doesn't run quite as lean now I guess -- it's a little more "fuzzy and corpulent."

I like it, but may opt to put the old cap back in there at some point....... we'll see.

• Members

The thing about pedals (and all gear for that matter) is you kind of have to try it out for yourself first. What works for others might not work for you and reviews/demo's should be taken with a grain of salt. There have been pedals that many rave about that I bought and didn't understand the hype, and there have been pedals others detest and I loved. I say just buy it used (they're kind of hard to find used) and if you don't like it sell it. They sell pretty fast and even if you buy new you'd be taking about a $20 hit in the resell.

• Members

I would love to hear your Ernie Crxsh. Mine was too heavy and thick sounding. I've never played a Mayo though. But for the money, the musket is the ticket...

yeah, I sold my Ernie for a similar reason. It's a nice sounding fuzz, but it's more on the crunchy side. Great for heavy riffing, but my fingerprint sounded a bit better for atmospheric stuff.

• Members

While I love the Skreddy stuff, hell I've owned a Mayo, Zero, Screw Driver, and a Top Fuel, I find they are all voiced pretty similar, just different variances of dirt/fuzz goodness.

I think the Musket may be the way to go, as it has versatility up the wazoo, and seems to be able to cover all the ground I am looking for.

Here is the desired sound I was getting from my Mayo, and if the Musket can pull it off
I will buy it.

Me and my old Mayo
[YOUTUBE]aqErQnD3Tv8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Here's a clip where I compare it to a Fire Red Fuzz..... maybe you've already heard it though. Ernie is fuzz #2.

Also, my Ernie is a little beefier now than it was in this clip. When I sent it in, Marc said that it had an atypical cap and transistor in there. I had him change the cap, but leave the transistor (same one as is in the Mayo) in it. Anyway, it doesn't run quite as lean now I guess -- it's a little more "fuzzy and corpulent."

I like it, but may opt to put the old cap back in there at some point....... we'll see.

Corpulent :lol:

yeah, thats what I'm talking about. I wish I could have AB'd it with mine...

• Members
I agree w/ Matt.

Also, a Musket Fuzz just popped up on TGP a few minutes ago, Jay.
Not mine... $150.

Even Marc's descriptors are awesome.
:cool:

Thanks for the link, but I am gonna go through Tonefactor, they have been a great company to deal with, so they get my business, plus I am in Canada, and there still is some stigma on shipping stuff up here.

• Members

A guy on ilovefuzz just listed one of the old red and white muskets for $120 shipped (I miss that graphic)

He's also unloading a giant fixd fuzz, and a buncho devi/dwarfcraft stuff.

does no one read my posts?

...oh, and good luck landing that destructomangler. that thing looks awesome.

• Members
Seriously? That's lame, I told the dude I'd come pick it up. Good thing I already have one though
:)
Just wanted another.

sorry matterday...I had to get that. So I need to find a box of rock and verbzilla, should be good for this month:)

• Members

Musket fuzz will be the last fuzz I am trying. If it does not cut through the mix, selling all my fuzz like cliffbass from ILF. But, from the demos the musket fuzz looks the best option if anyone is in the market for a Big Muff style fuzz.

Archived