EHX SMMH makes Boss DD7 Obsolete?

• Members

I just got an EHX SMMH :love: I used to use a DD7 for digital delays etc... does this SMMH make the boss obsolete? I am feeling like it does... but I don't want to sell the DD7 and then realize I made a mistake... I would probably buy a Deluxe memory man if I sold the DD7.

What do you say:

SMMH and DD7

or

SMMH and DMM?

:love::confused:

:cop:

:facepalm:

• Members

the DMM and DD7 sound totally and completely different and offer very different features. its a matter of personal taste.
:)

No I know the DD7 and the DMM are totally different (duh ;) )

This is more of a comparison between the SMMH and the DD7. I am just wondering if I will miss the DD7 if I sell it for a DMM to compliment my SMMH.

• Members

Get a big box DMM while you still can, if you have the dough. I wish I could.

Really? I actually prefer the form factor of the new smaller one, thats part of what is drawing me to the DMM now after all these years. I don't have enough room on my pedal board for the huge one.

• Members

Yea, you can dump the DD7... Wait for the memory boy to come out.... should be $100.

Does anyone know what the memory boy even does yet? I really like the modulation options on the DMM, I wouldn't want to be without them (as I assume the memory boy is).

• Members

I like the DD-7 more than the SMMH. But I don't have both to compare head to head at the moment. The SMMH was cool, and had some unique features, but I found the controls kind of frustrating, and spent more time tinkering with it, than playing. I love both the DD-7 and the DMM (got both last month) because with both I tweak very little, and I play more. If you like your SMMH though, not sure there is a need to keep the DD-7, but the DMM will give you a totally different flavor of delay.

• Members

I preferred my hazarai to my dd7. The smaller footprint was nice and it was easier to dial in, but once dialed in the hazarai sounded better to me and the looper/reverse was vastly superior. Plus you can't get wacky sounds with the dd7 like the ooh wah or ring modulator-esque settings on the ehx.

• Members

Well I have just spent an hour comparing the DD7 to the SMMH. I made my favorite settings on the DD7 and tried to replicate them on the SMMH. The SMMH could make them all and they sounded better on the SMMH almost every time. The one thing I like that the DD7 can do that the SMMH cant copy exactly is the modulation mode. The modulation on the SMMH is just as good, but different.

So the SMMH can do everything the DD7 can do plus tons more. I can see why some people would be happy with the DD7 over the SMMH, but I am into weird sounds etc. and the SMMH really suits my style. I think I will sell the DD7 and get myself a DMM and be done with it. SMMH and DMM for delay and just never think about delay again.

• Members

So the SMMH can do everything the DD7 can do plus tons more. I can see why some people would be happy with the DD7 over the SMMH, but I am into weird sounds etc. and the SMMH really suits my style. I think I will sell the DD7 and get myself a DMM and be done with it. SMMH and DMM for delay and just never think about delay again.

With the DD-7, I put it into analog modeling mode and I can make it get some really wacky noises by throwing the feedback and effect level all the way up and quickly sweeping the time knob. Can the SMMH do this as well?

Give that a shot and you'll see what I mean. It makes kind of a warblewhoosh doing that...

• Members

Well I have just spent an hour comparing the DD7 to the SMMH. I made my favorite settings on the DD7 and tried to replicate them on the SMMH. The SMMH could make them all and they sounded better on the SMMH almost every time. The one thing I like that the DD7 can do that the SMMH cant copy exactly is the modulation mode. The modulation on the SMMH is just as good, but different.

That sounds like a reasonable plan to me!

Edit. Except you will think about other delay pedals again, it's a rule here.

• Members

Is that just a standard EB volume pedal? How do you get that to work?

Yep, regular mono EB VP, you just run the out into the exp in on the dd-7 and set it to control 1, 2, or all 3 of the parameters. Good times.

In that video I just have it only controlling the delay time, and I have the feedback set pretty high.

Archived