HOG vs. POG

• Members

I was thinking of picking up a Hog, as it seems pretty cool from the online vids. Now that this new Pog 2 is coming out I am having second thoughts (the pog2 just looks so sexay :love:) Does the Hog really kick the Pogs ass? I love that freeze chord thing the Hog does... but the Hog is huge and the Pog 2 can store presets much more easily.

Anyone have a thought on this?

:idea:

• Members

I'm not too interested in 3rds and 5ths. IIf I would just be using the straight octaves anyway is the Hog still better? I really like the pedal functions of the Hog.. but maybe I don't need it. Unfortunately no stores around me have the Hog in stock for me to try in person.

• Members

8 presets also seems like overkill on a Pog... can you really get 8 distinctly different sounds from it?

I would really love to see an XO Hog.

Having a huge separate breakout box just to hold six presets is pretty meh.

I was thinking this too, I'd probably only use 2 or 3.

• Members

I was thinking this too, I'd probably only use 2 or 3.

Have you had a chance to try a Hog yet? It seems to me like it could be either totally amazing... or one of those pedals that sounds good when you are noodling around, but never really makes it into a finished track.

• Members

I have a HOG, although I think I want to do an A/B/C comparison between the strict octave sounds of the HOG, POG2 and MicroPOG. I have a feeling that for straight kick-ass lower octave punch that the POG2 is going to ruin the others. Did you see that demo video of the POG2? The low end is just insane! Unless that's how he has it EQ'd or how the amp sounds or the microphone on the camera, but I kinda doubt it's just that.

It's the only thing that I find the HOG to be somewhat disappointing in and that's that I really wish I could get more low end punch out of it.

• Members

I love the HOG- for me it's the expression modes that really set it apart. The hold/gliss function in particular is kicks some serious ass. You can glide from note to note and with the exp toe-down the note is held, freeing up your hands for delay knob twisting and whatever else you can think of :rawk:

Here's a clip of with my bass-prunes&custard-HOG (using exp and gliss)-bassmurf-polychorus-delay. The HOG tracks fuzz and whatever else you could throw at it, and by slowly bleeding notes into each other with the gliss function you can get some really cool erie sounds:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7663642

It starts off a little slow but its only 4min- my favorite part is at 3:20- sounds like a cracked out jack&thebox or something..

• Members

It doesn't sound that different from a HOG to me
:idk:

Really? I think the HOG has more of an impact on the signal with all of those 3rds and 5ths and octaves and everything going on. That demo just sounded like a HOG with the -1 and +1 octave sliders up.

I don't really use alot of the features on my HOG, but the ones that do matter (mainly freeze+gliss) are pretty damn impressive and, IMO, easier to find a place for in a song. Really though, the pedal as a whole is an organ simulator; that's the initial sound I got out of it when I first plugged in it, and that's what I still mainly use it for. If the POG2 sounds anything like the original POG's organ sound, the HOG is a little less churchy sounding and more Hammond B-3ish, if that matters to you.

And you guys are having an issue with low end on your HOGs? How do you have them set up? I get plenty of lows with mine..

Archived