HOG vs. POG

• Members

I went back to the POG from the HOG because I do think it sounds bigger and meaner, particularly in the low end. It also seems to have more output as far as the low octave stuff, IMO. I can get a really nasty overdrive out of my lower wattage amp with the POG, but not with the HOG. The HOG has a bunch of cool extras, but I just don't dig the overall sound as much.

The POG2 is tempting for the reduced size, but I am wondering if it will have the same mean sound and hot output of the original. Looking forward to trying one out at some point.

• Members

I get a lot of low end from the HOG with my setup.

Remember though, Hooya plays bassoon. Low end for a guitar player is a bit different. I'll admit on bass though it does fatten it up a bit, the impact isn't nearly as big.

You guys might be right. I think my demands on the low octave are just different. It's one of the reasons I want to A/B/C the HOG, POG2 and MicroPOG. I played through a MicroPOG once and seem to remember liking the low octave on that. Not that the HOG is bad - I just would like some more kick on occasion. It's probably an EQ issue I could work out, I just haven't really had the chance. If I boost the low end going into the hog with an EQ (or rather, don't cut the low end with the EQ) I tend to clip the HOG pretty quickly. I have a 3 band EQ on my mixer later in the signal chain I could tweak though.

• Members

Maybe your ear just can't detect those whale noises. No offense, it could happen to anyone.

Plus since the octaves are generated on the harmonics (AFAI understand), it's the harmonic content of your guitar which might lack some of these frequencies ie. old string or too much process on the signal before hiting the HOG.

Archived