An Off and On Question

• Members

Here's a question that I haven't ever seen addressed here on the forum, but it's driving me a little crazy so I have to ask:

When I power up my pedalboard, why do certain pedals switch on while others don't?

I just reconfigured my board and formerly I had three pedals that I had to turn off after the power-up. Now I have five or six that leap into action without me asking! To make matters even more confusing, I have a wah that sometimes goes on and sometimes doesn't!

Can anybody explain to me what gives??!?

Thanks!

• Members

If the pedal is mechanically switch, it switches whether it's powered or not, and when you power it up, it's how you left it last.

If the pedal is electronically switched (Boss, digitech, etc.), it all depends on how the circuitry is wired. Some always are on when powered up, some off. It all depends on how it was designed.

• Members

I would think this was a reasonable explanation except that since I reconfigured my board, different ones light up (or, more accurately, some of the same ones but also some different ones...)! It definitely isn't governed by how I left 'em when I powered down, because I always make certain to leave them off.

• Members

The one's that are coming on are the Boss pedals - MD-2, DD-7, and Wampler modded DS-1 and BD-2 - as well as a DOD FX 750 Stereo Flanger. I also have an old Boss FW-3 Foot Wah that comes on half the time.

Before I changed the layout of the board the Wampler pedals came on but not the others.

Archived