New Amp, what should I get?

Jisatsu

• Members

If you'll take a combo, look for a used Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express.

I have been actually! Before my hours at work were cut I almost got the 5:25 express head, but glad I didn't, been penny pinching the past couple months, and that wouldn't have helped. They are kind of hard to find, combos and heads, and again I want to keep price around $700ish MAX.

• Members

For $700 you might be lucky and find a vintage Fender Bassman head. But that thing wants 4 ohm speakers. If you have a couple of 8 ohm cabs, you can get a Series-Y cable and turn 'em into a 4-ohm load. You could also run a single 8-ohm speaker and give up some tone.

I almost bought a Bassman several months ago, but it had issues. I ended up getting a mint 1965 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 combo for $750 last weekend instead. For the clean stuff that I like to play, it smokes the Bassman.

• Members

I'd go for the Blackheart Handsome Devil.

C8hZBPIPQXY

I had a Little Giant combo for a year and a half and I loved it. I needed more wattage in my cottage and was able to get the ampeg j20 for $299 so I jumped on that and sold the Blackheart. I missed it the second I put it in it's box to ship it.

I think the 15watter is great... gives a master volume and presence control and the best part is that it has more clean headroom.

If things dont work out with my Ampeg, I'm definitely going for the Handsome Devil. Blackheart makes good stuff.

• Members
. It wasn't cutting it for me, but I'll bet you'd love it!"

:facepalm:

I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I traded my Dr. Z away because it wasn't working out for me with my band but I'd still recommend it to others because it was a kick ass amp. If I had money I would have kept it and bought another amp.

• Members

Probably gone already, but that's the cheapest I've ever seen one for.

There was another really cheap one in good shape in olympia a month ago I wanna say, anyways I emailed the guy 2 hours after he posted it, he said it sold in 20mins. Basically bought it for his son, and ended up sitting in a closet for 7 months so he sold it for $250

Archived