New Amp, what should I get?

Jisatsu

• Members

So I'm currently looking for a decent low wattage amp. I want to keep it in the realm of 15-20 watts, and unfortunately due to hours cut at work, money is an issue. I'd like to keep it under $700. A head would be perfect, but needs to have 16ohm and 8ohm outs. This amp will primarly be used for classic rock, noise, and just all around putzing about.

So far I'm on the fence about a Blues Jr, Tiny Terror, and a Black Heart Handsome Devil. Any other suggestions? Anyone use either of these three and can make compelling arguments for OR against?

Thanks =)

• Members

I like those Blackhearts. The compelling argument I can give you is that they sound awesome.

Thanks! lol, yeah usually the local shop I buy stuff from has one they let people demo pedals through, and I've always liked how it sounds. Then again I really like how a blues jr. sounds, and I really like the bite of a tiny terror...argh choices choices!

• Moderators

Would help if I actually was a member at TGP huh?

Probably!

It's some dude selling a Goodsell Super 17 head for $750. There's another guy on there selling one with the 5/17 watt switch (doesn't say if it's the trem/reverb model or not) for $850. They're topping out your budget, but they're incredible amps.

• Members
Probably!

It's some dude selling a Goodsell Super 17 head for $750. There's another guy on there selling one with the 5/17 watt switch (doesn't say if it's the trem/reverb model or not) for $850. They're topping out your budget, but they're incredible amps.

Wow that's a pretty reasonable goodsell :o I remember having gas over one of those a couple years back. I might have to check into that >.>

• Members

lol wow... unrelated, but the FX section TGP Emporium makes me laugh sometimes. Sold pending payment with 4 backup buyers for a limited edition Spring Chicken?... :facepalm:

Look at the Vox Nightrain. Everyone seems to love it, and the PGS demo is great.

• Members

I had the same reservation before I bought my Super Jet, but I love the response on the tone knob. Much better than the TT.

Well I think I know a shop in seattle that carries them, I'll try em out. I'm not buying this minute, but I've been hankering for a lower wattage amp for the past 6 months. Tired of lugging around 50lbs heads to jam sessions and my sovtek blew it's output transformer :/ I guess my biggest worry (and this is probably from owning too many MV amps), I want the amps gain on tap at lower volumes. Well I guess I"ll have to try one out.

• Members

Orange TT or a Dual Terror. The former is under your limit, the latter is a little over.

7/15 watts; 2x8, 1x16 ohm output jacks; volume, tone, gain; and a huge selection of pre- and power-amp tubes to choose from. Throw a 5751 in V1 if you want some Orange-ified cleans, for example.

• Members
lol wow... unrelated, but the FX section TGP Emporium makes me laugh sometimes. Sold pending payment with 4 backup buyers for a limited edition Spring Chicken?...
:facepalm:

Look at the Vox Nightrain. Everyone seems to love it, and the PGS demo is great.

oh snaps! Forgot about that little bugger. I think my local mom+pop shop has one on their floor. Speaking of Vox, I was also thinking the AC15, but it seems hit or miss on the head? I don't want to pay for the handwired, and I've heard of reliability issues with their lower end stuff...meh.

• Members

Orange TT or a Dual Terror. The former is under your limit, the latter is a little over.

7/15 watts; 2x8, 1x16 ohm output jacks; volume, tone, gain; and a huge selection of pre- and power-amp tubes to choose from. Throw a 5751 in V1 if you want some Orange-ified cleans, for example.

Was actually really considering the Dual Terror, I like the option to go from 7/15/30. Would suit my needs very well, however I might have to wait till they hit the used market. I'm flipping a couple amps right now, but who knows, I might be able to pull it off.

• Members
You need to make a trek to
Emerald City Guitars
in downtown Seattle, just off 1st and Washington.

Been there too many times :thu: Though their vintage stuff is a little overpriced, but they are pretty good guys to deal with. I love looking at the 59' LP they have there. :thu: And their Tele collection is WOW. It's like being a kid in a candy shop.

• Members

Have you tried an Egnater Rebel yet? I sold mine recently, but it was an awesome sounding amp. I was just tired of having a two piece amp, so I went back to combos.

I didn't gel with the tiny terror, too much of a one trick pony for me. Might want to give the night train a go as previously mentioned. They have em at American Music in seattle. If you want to try some Ampegs, I'm pretty sure Bellevue American Music carries a few combos.

• Members
I think Sam Ash is still selling the Ampeg J20 Jet Tube Guitar Combo Amp for $299 (it's normally $1099). Yep, that's right, check it out:

linky

It's kinda a 1-channel Version of the Gemini I minus the reverb.

AJ20XXXXX_ip.jpg

The sale is going on, but the item is no longer available.

• Members
Also, the Rebel 30 (combo) should be hitting GC locations soon. I wouldn't mind picking up one of those myself.

I've tried the Egnator, and didn't really care for it, to be honest. It could have been the cab I was using it through, but honestly I didn't mess with it.

Also I'm open for combos too, as I'm kinda gassing for a blues Jr. :thu: but a head would be ideal.

Archived