Doing the Tone Wicker mod on my Muff :love:

strtdv

• Members

I've just finished doing the 'Tone' part, which is a switch that lets you bypass the tone stack on the muff. All it does is lif the ground when engaged.

Gives you LOTS more mids and about a 6dB volume boost.

IMO it opens up the sound a bit too. I think the pedal will sound better in a band with another guitarist now, and I can also see bass players liking this mod.

Now I just need to get a 3PDT toggle switch for the 'Wicker' part that removes the 470pF caps and I'll be set.

• Moderators

I've just finished doing the 'Tone' part, which is a switch that lets you bypass the tone stack on the muff. All it does is lif the ground when engaged.

Gives you LOTS more mids and about a 6dB volume boost.

This mod is from my web site at http://www.muzique.com/lab/tbypass.htm if anyone is interested in trying it.

For the record, it was posted long before the Tone Wicker pedal came out. I have no idea if this bypass method is similar to the Tone Wicker nor do I make any representation that they are similar. E-H is a great company who have given us many wonderful pedals over the years - a big thumbs-up to them. :thu:

regards, Jack

• Members

This mod is from my web site at
http://www.muzique.com/lab/tbypass.htm
if anyone is interested in trying it.

For the record, it was posted long before the Tone Wicker pedal came out. I have no idea if this bypass method is similar to the Tone Wicker nor do I make any representation that they are similar. E-H is a great company who have given us many wonderful pedals over the years - a big thumbs-up to them.
:thu:

regards, Jack

I actually used some of the stuff on your website as a reference, so thanks, that was really helpful :thu:

The only minor thing is that, in the NYC reissues anyway, the tone stack uses 2 22k resistors, not a 22k and a 39k.

I love EHX stuff too, they're not afraid to try out crazy stuff that other mainstream manufacturers shy away from.

• Members

It's actually a very easy to do mod. The only difficult part is sourcing a 3PDT toggle switch, as EHX don't use one in their switching, they use a chip AFAIK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Miniature-3PDT-Toggle-Switch-ON-ON-M302_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem2c505c35b1QQitemZ190326781361QQptZModelQ5fRRQ5fTrainsQQsalenotsupported

• Members

Err, I'm pretty sure the Bass Big Muff has SMD components which makes modding pretty difficult unless you have experience with SMD components.

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

there goes my most versatile muff ever dream!

Seriusly , can somebody with the bass big muff confirm this? I really don`t wanna go without dry or the wicker option.

• Members

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

there goes my most versatile muff ever dream!

Seriusly , can somebody with the bass big muff confirm this? I really don`t wanna go without dry or the wicker option.

Don't cry about it. I'm sure you can find a used BMP on the CL for $20.

• Members

I don't really understand schematics, can you post what you did for the tone bypass with pics possibly?

Sure thing;

BIGMUFFNYE3003ATONEBYPASS.png

Unsolder/lift out the terminal of both the cap and resistor nearest the ground (shown on the picture), and solder wires from the ends of both components to one terminal of the switch. Then solder wires from the next terminal of the switch to the points you removed the compononts from.

edit;

I should point out this is not my photo

• Moderators

I actually used some of the stuff on your website as a reference, so thanks, that was really helpful
:thu:
The only minor thing is that, in the NYC reissues anyway, the tone stack uses 2 22k resistors, not a 22k and a 39k.

Thanks.

22k... hmmm, I'll look into that. It will take out some of the mid scoop but also rolls off high end when the tone pot is at mid-point. A 56k instead of the 39k is an interesting mod.

regards, Jack

• Members

Got the switch I needed for the 'wicker' part of the mod today, so I now have a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker.

Obligatory Pic:

18172361a11385191678l.jpg

The tone part, as shown in the pic I posted earlier, simply lifts the ground from the tone stack. The wicker part removes the three 470pF capacitors that smooth out the treble but can leave the muff sounding wooly and indistinct, especially at lower sustain levels. Now I can switch in an out the caps as desired.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sure.

3866460241_2f3c5dfd8a_o.jpg

(again, image not mine, I've just added labels)

This adds quite a bit of treble, and would work well with humbucker guitars. If you wanted to experiment a bit you could just pick 2 of the 3 caps to do this to (all it does is remove them from the circuit), or you could wire it so that the switch would change between the stock cap and one of a different value.

Archived