Barber Tone Press or Diamond Compressor??

fuzzylogic220

• Members

Sorry but I don't see a lot of compression pedals being used at any of the venues we play. I am always interested in checking out the effects of the other players and compression is almost nonexistent.

And I'm not trying to troll all I am trying to say is good technique will get you a lot farther than compression will.

I apologize if I came across that way.

• Members

Pretty much every big country act's guitarist uses a compressor (and a telecaster, the two do different things for the traditional "twang" sound so it isn't a question of using one or the other). Tons of world-tour level pros use compressors. Mark Knopfler uses a compressor and he has amazing vibrato technique, surely you wouldn't accuse him of being a beginner making up for some flaw in his playing? Compressors also even out the string response from your guitar, something that no amount of technique is going to do because it's purely an electronic phenomenon that you can't make happen magically by playing harder or softer or whatever. And no one should apologize for using a compressor to enhance their sustain, because if you have good technique before you use a compressor, then your already good sustain is going to be further improved by the use of one.

The point being that there just isn't any reason to insult people who use compressors or imply that they're just beginners making up for problems with their playing.

• Members

Its what I see I have a right to my own opinion. If you don't have the skills to hold back with your picking hand to keep the notes at the same level,Practice. If you can't make your guitar have a singing sustain without tons of OD or distortion,practice.

Compression will ruin a good tone and make a bad one better. There's too many players on this forum with cheap effects and cheap guitars and cheap amps who couldn't find a good tone if it bit em in the ass.

There I said it flame away.

• Members

Who wants to flame you, you seem miserable and hateful, looking at the world and seeing idiots everywhere. Seems to me you're flaming yourself. What you're doing in a thread about two compressors, well, one would wonder if you hadn't tipped your hand...

• Members

You would be to if you had to read the misinformation that you guys spew.

Misinformation would be "no pros use compressors." Misinformation would be telling people that you can, with technique, replicate the effect of evening out the individual strings in a full chord with compression. And "spewing" would be finally getting the courage to unleash a hateful diatribe over a thread about compression.

Please, you're breaking my heart!

• Members

Its what I see I have a right to my own opinion. If you don't have the skills to hold back with your picking hand to keep the notes at the same level,Practice. If you can't make your guitar have a singing sustain without tons of OD or distortion,practice.

Compression will ruin a good tone and make a bad one better. There's too many players on this forum with cheap effects and cheap guitars and cheap amps who couldn't find a good tone if it bit em in the ass.

There I said it flame away.

I feel like u must have a misunderstanding for technique if you feel like good technique can do everything a good compressor can. Yes beginners can use compression to increase sustain instead of a good vibrato and yes compression can be used to squash out little mistakes and whatnot but MOST people in the world do NOT use compression for these purposes.

Compressors even out the volume differences created from string to string, from different pickups, etc....this is something you will not overcome with practice. You mean to tell me if you know your G naturally stands out in the mix of a chord you are able to hit that string lighter than the rest while playing the chord? I HIGHLY doubt it. It is the same concept as using compression in the studio to gain a more balanced final mix. A tele will get you a certain kind of twang, a compressor will give u different kind of twang....the use of both is VERY popular among country guitarists and other "twang" enthusiasts.

• Members

Beginners use compression. To make up for weak technique. If your after country spank use a tele. If your after unlimited sustain move your hand.I quite often use compression in the studio bit I rarely see it on the boards of the touring musicians.

Maybe I'm just hanging out with the wrong players.

By all means, hang out somewhere else then. :rolleyes:

• Members

Beginners use compression. To make up for weak technique. If your after country spank use a tele. If your after unlimited sustain move your hand.I quite often use compression in the studio bit I rarely see it on the boards of the touring musicians.

Maybe I'm just hanging out with the wrong players.

hahahahaha

what a self righteous bastard.

• Members

well back on the subject...........i ordered a diamond from analog haven the other day....cant wait until it gets here..........and for the record i dont want it to squish out my sound or give me super long sustain ...im pretty ok with sustain just even out everything make softer notes louder and louder notes softer, so i hope i made the right choice.

thanks for all the help

Archived