Bob Mould-ish sound?

big Idiot

• Members

My friend and I are kind of on a hunt for that really thick, juicy tone Bob Mould usually has, but especially the guitar sounds all over Sugar's File Under: Easy Listening.

After doing some reading about supposed set-ups he may have used, my friend read something about Bob running an MXR Distortion + into a DBX 166 rack compressor into whatever amp. So, we tried running a newer Distortion + into various compressor pedals, and really liked the sound. The compressor just evened out all the frequencies, and really brought up the lower mids, making the sound super beefy. A little closer to the kind of sound we're looking for.

My question is, are there any single pedals out there that give a similar gain structure, and squish the hell out of the signal after distorting the sound? Or are we just relegated to running a compressor after whatever OD/Distortion pedal?

• Members

My friend and I are kind of on a hunt for that really thick, juicy tone Bob Mould usually has, but especially the guitar sounds all over Sugar's File Under: Easy Listening.

I wouldn't describe Bob Mould's tone as "juicy"...it's thick...it's bright...it's somewhat scooped, but definitely NOT "juicy".

Just use pretty much any distortion pedal into a stereo delay and a pair of JC-120's. He used those quite a bit with his solo stuff and Sugar.

For recording with Husker Du, it was pretty much an MXR Distortion+ straight into the board. Live I remember he used a Marshall for their last tour.

• Members

saw bob solo not too long ago and his live sound was on point with his newer recorded tone. i think he was running through a jc120 and either a jcm800 or 900 with a fat strat, i think its always been that way since husker du except replace the strat for a V. couldnt tell you what pedals he used but i know hes a fan of the spx90

Archived