Just nabbed an EHX Deluxe Octave Multiplexer

n!k

• Members

Picture of the 5 knob version on the EHX forum

http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/1030/

Controls for : Sensitivity, Fuzz, Sub-Harmonics, Tone, and Blend. Switch for "Bass"

It seems like the 5-knob version includes more features from the standard Octave Multiplexer: turning the sub on or off and sensitivity control. I'd wager the Sub-Harmonics knob turns from -1 oct to -2 oct the same as the 4 knob, but I could be mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update:

So it was in pretty bad shape once it arrived from over th' eBay. Power chord was frayed in several places, LED light was chipped, fuzz circuit doesn't work, and, the funniest of all, when one of the knobs went missing, apparently the owner decided the best solution would be to take a wooden cabinet knob and SCREW it into the pot and then hot glue it all together. What a mess. I talked the seller into a partial refund so I'm still very happy with the deal, even if I'm paying to have it fixed up. I managed to clean most of the rust/gunk off of it and it's lookin' pretty good. When it gets back from the shop, I'll post before/after pics.

The octaving tones sound awesome though. Very large, especially into the -2 octave range, and can be very smooth or really angular and harsh. The blend knob lets you roll in enough clean, unaffected signal to be able to use really dissonant sub-octaves as a kind of blanket in the background. With it at like 90% clean, 10% effected, a frazzled, struggling-to-octave kind of bzzzz is like a kind of ambience.

edit: I'm a bass player, and it tracks pretty good on bass, but much better/tighter on a guitar's low notes. Past the 12th fret it's very tight on both.

• Members

The eBay auction had very little content so it was kind of a gamble as to whether it would all work or not (although he did say that it did). I did know I was going to be getting something heavily used. Here's the picture from the auction:

You can kind of see the screw/cabinet knob combo for the bottom right knob, but you'd have no idea that was actually the case until you saw it in person. I thought it was just some replacement push-on knob from this angle.

• Members

I talked the seller into a partial refund so I'm still very happy with the deal, even if I'm paying to have it fixed up.

I hope you are able to get it spiffed up and functioning as it should. They are pretty rare units, and it's good to know that it's getting some love, and isn't rotting away, thrown in the trash, or scrapped for parts.

• Members

I hope you are able to get it spiffed up and functioning as it should. They are pretty rare units, and it's good to know that it's getting some love, and isn't rotting away, thrown in the trash, or scrapped for parts.

I have a feeling you will be like the little old ladies with 100 cats living in the house, only with old big box EHX pedals....oh wait....you already are! :wave:

Glad they have a safe home! ;)

Archived