(o/t): THE WORMS

petejt

• Members

Yes, WHAT are The Worms? WHO are The Worms? WHERE did The Worms come from? HOW did The Worms get in? WHY did The Worms get in?

It's been keeping me up all night. I REALLY need to get some sleep, there's only an hour of darkness left, but would like to discuss this further, so please, join the discussion...

But it was only fantasy.

The wall was too high,

As you can see.

No matter how he tried,

He could not break free.

And the WORMS ate into HIS brain...

wall.jpg

wall.jpg

• Members

if anybody here has seen the movie, or actually listened to the entire album straight through, its become clear. YES, alot of it is about Pink building the wall of self-isolation, & his cries for help, but the line of *it was only fantasy, the wall was too high, as you can see, no matter how he tried, he could not break free, & the worms ate into his brain* in the movie, Pink becomes a fascist Nazi-like character, which is evident in many of the songs, & the worms(these nazi morals & ideals) corrupted him, the madness of which he succumbed to. in Waiting For The Worms, he believes he is safe *here behind my wall* but it is all an illusion, for he is already corrupted by the worms he hated & feared (Mother & Goodbye Blue Sky)

:idk:

• Members

I know that the album is about self-isolation. Pink had had enough of the world so much, that he distanced himself off and metaphorically built a wall around himself.

What I don't understand is this Worm thing. Why is it when in full isolation, that his mind becomes corrupted? Why did he start thinking he was a Fascist dictator and get others to harm other people?

If he had indeed built a wall around his mind, thus shutting EVERYTHING out, then why did he let his mind get corrupted? How was his mind left vulnerable to corruption when he had shut himself out of everything?

If he had built a wall, surely he's strong enough to not let ANYTHING sway his mind, since he is so resistive to everything outside of his mind?

• Members

Worms seem like a pretty classic symbol of corruption, decay and general deterioration.

As to not liking them....

Live at Pompei has some great moments, watch out for the smoothest dropping/replacing of a drumstick I've ever seen. I do love this old track :thu::

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

*In the Flesh?- Introducing that there is a division between Pink's mind and the world?
*The Thin Ice- Seems to me like a warning that a sheltered childhood doesn't mean the world is sheltered, so be ready for it?
*Another Brick in the Wall [Part 1]- Pink feeling the loss of his father, that his father left him and is part of what separates him from the world
*The Happiest Days of Our Lives- Pink is tormented by his schoolteacher, is not permitted to think and be free with what he wants to do, always in trouble when about in the world, thus feels removed from the world
*Another Brick in the Wall [Part 2]- Pink protesting against what is shutting himself out from the world, he feels that the education system is separating him from it, thus contributing to the Wall
*Mother- Pink feels overprotected by his mother, does not feel free from his mother, feels that she is too controlling over his whole life, and thus another shield from a direct connection to the world, ie another brick in the Wall
*Goodbye Blue Sky- I guess it's about the scenario brought up in The Thin Ice, Pink feels all alone by himself without his mother sheltering him, especially since he feels alone when his wife betrayed him, feels isolated from everything
*Empty Spaces- After finding out how his wife betrayed him, Pink cannot trust anyone and thus feels so isolated and alone that he contemplates on making that permanent, considers how else to keep out the world
*Young Lust- Pink tries to reconnect with the world by finding solace in reckless wild trysts, ie "bugger it I'm gonna do whatever I like and run a muck!", at least he tries to do it, but...
*One of my Turns- ..can't. Even when bringing a woman with him he has drifted off from the world so far he can't establish a connection, thus lashes out at anyone who tries to reach through to him, yet feels desperate...
*Don't Leave Me Now- Pink has conflicting thoughts, he wants to be closed off from the world and chases everyone away, but it still hurts him when they go...
*Another Brick in the Wall [Part 3]- Pink has had enough of the world, deciding that all the bad things outside of his mind have culminated in shutting him out, ie building the Wall, and that he can be on his own, he doesn't need the world, he feels the world did not want him anyway
*Goodbye Cruel World- Pink is telling the world he has ceased to be a part of it, thus will be fully enclosed by the Wall.

*14- Hey You:
It seems like that as soon as Pink had fully closed himself off from the world, had completed building his wall, he starts wondering about what's happening outside of the wall. Is he wondering if anyone at all still cares about him? Is he trying to reach out to people beyond his wall?

And I think I may have come to some kind of realisation-> is it this wondering if anyone out there to reach him, is that him being VULNERABLE?

Is it that when finally closed off from everything, when there is finally NOTHING around him from the world, just himself, that he starts to open up to the world?

And, while in this vulnerable state, that he allows ANYTHING to get into his mind?

But yet that verse:

But it was only fantasy.
The wall was too high,
As you can see.
No matter how he tried,
He could not break free.

Is that saying Pink was kidding himself? That it is fantasy for anyone to answer his calls from over the Wall? That he is too trapped behind his wall for the world to really reach him?

But then...

And the worms ate into his brain.

And thus vulnerable to corruption? Vulnerable to letting "the worms" eating "into his brain"?

But WHY did corruption seek him? WHY did he become accepting after being resistive to the world for so long? HOW did corruption know he was vulnerable? WHERE was Pink and his Wall so the worms could find him?

*15- Is there anybody out there?- Pink is still vulnerable and desperate to reach out to the world
*16- Nobody Home- Pink reminds himself that he is all on his own behind his Wall, and that he doesn't need the world
*17- Vera- Pink starts thinking about what has become of his mother, the one he feels that? That is most responsible for building his Wall? Is it?
*18- Bring the Boys back Home- Is Pink wishing that his father was in his life? And that had he not been absent (due to death in the war) that he would not be isolated?
*19- Comfortably Numb- Pink is tranquillised by a doctor after being found wrecked in his room, and during this he is numb to everything, including his own Wall?

And now:
20- The Show must go On:

Ooooh, Ma, Oooh Pa
Must the show go on?

-> Is Pink regretting that he build the Wall?

Ooooh, Pa. Take me home

-> Is Pink feeling afraid of his Wall and wants his (absent) father to protect him?

Ooooh, Ma. Let me go

-> Is Pink still resisting his mother? Thus maintaining his Wall?

There must be some mistake
I didnt mean to let them
Take away my soul.
Am I too old, is it too late?

-> Is Pink regretting that he allowed his mind to be corrupted by them, the worms? Why is he regretting that? Why did he let them in, in the first place? Is Pink regretting on building the Wall and thus prone to being taken over by the worms, so in essence he has come to terms with that his Wall that was meant to keep out everything from invading his mind has actually failed? And therefore let in what was actually meaning to take over his mind?

Ooooh, Ma, Ooooh Pa,
Where has the feeling gone?
Ooooh, Ma, Ooooh Pa,
Will I remember the songs?
The show must go on.

-> Pink worried that his mind is completely taken over and he has no individuality left?

*21- In the Flesh!- Pink's mind is fully corrupted by the worms and commences the deranged fascist activities
*22- Run like Hell- Pink proceeding with his fascist rally

And then, 23- Waiting for The Worms...

When Pink's mind became corrupted, why did he become a fascist racist? Why didn't he go round blowing up schools and strangling mothers and killing young groupies and unfaithful wives if he felt those people were the ones that had shut him out from the world?

And if Pink is so secure "in perfect isolation, here behind..." his "wall", then how do the worms get in? Why does he permit access to the worms that he waits to come to him? Why allow the worms and no one else? Why does he decide to follow the worms and not anyone else in the world?

24- Stop:
Stop!
I wanna go home
Take off this uniform
And leave the show.

-> Pink has had enough of following the worms?

But I'm waiting in this cell
Because I have to know.
Have I been guilty all this time?

-> Pink can't go home yet, because he has to sort out if HE was causing all those problems and not his mum or wife or schoolteacher or whoever out there in the world? Is Pink now questioning if he was responsible? Is Pink realising that he blocked himself from the world and not anyone else, and thus feels guilty for blaming his mum etc.?

Is Pink the worms himself? If so, how did he corrupt HIMSELF?

• Members

And so onto:

25- The Trial:

Good morning, Worm your honor.

The crown will plainly show

The prisoner who now stands before you

Was caught red-handed showing feelings

Showing feelings of an almost human nature;

This will not do.

Call the schoolmaster!

-> If the worms corrupted his mind, why are they now judging him? Does Pink have a split personality? First after years of feeling alone he decides to close himself off from the world, then wants to reach out, then shuts himself again, then lets his mind be corrupted, then decides he's had enough of that and wants to go home ("showing feelings of an almost human nature"), and now punishes himself for deciding that?

I always said he'd come to no good

In the end your honor.

If they'd let me have my way I could

Have flayed him into shape.

But my hands were tied,

The bleeding hearts and artists

Let him get away with murder.

Let me hammer him today?

-> Who were the bleeding hearts and artists that tired the schoolmaster's hands? Why hammer Pink with the device and symbol that he himself used against innocent folk during the fascist rallies? Is this taking a dose of his own medicine?

Crazy,

Toys in the attic I am crazy,

Truly gone fishing.

They must have taken my marbles away.

Crazy, toys in the attic he is crazy.

-> WHO took Pink's marbles away?

You little {censored} you're in it now,

I hope they throw away the key.

You should have talked to me more often

Than you did, but no! You had to go

Your own way, have you broken any

Homes up lately?

Just five minutes, Worm your honor,

Him and Me, alone.

-> Who is "me" that Pink did not talk more often to, and went away from? Is this Pink's mother? Or his wife?

Baaaaaaaaaabe!

Come to mother baby, let me hold you

In my arms.

M'lud I never wanted him to

Get in any trouble.

Why'd he ever have to leave me?

Worm, your honor, let me take him home.

-> Pink's mother, is she questioning why he left her?

Crazy,

Over the rainbow, I am crazy,

Bars in the window.

There must have been a door there in the wall

When I came in.

Crazy, over the rainbow, he is crazy.

-> What door? HOW was a door made in the wall? WHO put the door in the wall? Did the worms go through that door? Why was the door open? How big was that door?

The evidence before the court is

Incontrivertable, there's no need for

The jury to retire.

In all my years of judging

I have never heard before

Of someone more deserving

Of the full penalty of law.

The way you made them suffer,

Your exquisite wife and mother,

Fills me with the urge to defecate!

"Hey Judge! {censored} on him!"

-> Is the worm, who corrupted Pink earlier, saying he is disgusted that Pink blamed the mother and wife for all the problems in the world? Is the worm saying that Pink blamed his mother and wife for building the very wall that excluded himself from the world and thus led to corruption? Is Pink blaming his wife and mother for becoming corrupted?

Since, my friend, you have revealed your

Deepest fear,

I sentence you to be exposed before

Your peers.

Tear down the wall!

-> What exactly is Pink's deepest fear? That the real truth is that it is he HIMSELF that built the wall? That he blamed his wife and mother for building the wall and thus being led to corruption?

• Members
I love Pink Floyd, I {censored}ing hate the wall. Whinge whinge Roger...
:blah:
:idk:

Funny, people often seem to latch on to either Gilmour or Waters. I personally :love: Roger Waters. He was Floyd's musical "dark side" IMO.

For me Floyd-Waters=one long Gilmour wank fest. We get it...you have great guitar tone :rolleyes:

Archived