How do these cheque scams work again?

english_bob

• Members

OK, so I listed my Yamaha SA-500 on Gumtree and got this e-mail:

Hello,

I saw your Musical instrument listed on Gumtree.com and am interested.I want you to tell

me your best Offer.

Collins

...I didn't spot "I saw your Musical instrument" on the first time of reading, so I e-mailed back:

Hi,

I can drop the price to

• Members

Well, this particular scam is usually run by a group of scoundrels that will try and convince you that "check" is spelled with a "q" for their own gain, profit, etc. ... but we all know that's a bunch of hullabaloo and generally disregard their foolish claims.

• Members

Aren't all these check scams easily defeated by simplying waiting until the check you get clears before you ship anything? Aren't the people getting scammed the ones not waiting for this to happen?

Also, if they could do a check then they can also deposit it at any bank to your account/routing numbers. And, you'd see the results and get a note from your bank all the same.

I just don't see how you could lose if you just waited for the clear... in words of yoda, that is why you fail.

• Members

Aren't all these check scams easily defeated by simplying waiting until the check you get clears before you ship anything? Aren't the people getting scammed the ones not waiting for this to happen?

Also, if they could do a check then they can also deposit it at any bank to your account/routing numbers. And, you'd see the results and get a note from your bank all the same.

I just don't see how you could lose if you just waited for the clear... in words of yoda, that is why you fail.

So you'd give these people your address to send you the cheque?

• Members

+1 i thought the same and you must be really stupid to send something out before the cheque clears...

Archived