Off to see The Cult at the Royal Albert Hall

Kid_A

• Members

Wish I was going, have a good 'un.

Duffy is using either Matchless or Bad Cat combo's along with the Roland chorus. He still has the JCM800 round the back though as well (I think)!

Let us know what it was like when you get back....

• Members

I heard the guitarist uses Matchless amps live... good choice. Just wish i wasnt so {censored}ing hungover
:(

"the guitarist" - you mean Billy Duffy! :poke:

Enjoy the gig - I'd love to see them, though I didn't get into them beyond Sonic Temple...but Love and Electric are just two brilliant albums.

Anyway, thread inspired me to do some Youtube Cult surfing. This is a goodie:

[YOUTUBE]XYwyHlsa1wU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The weird thing about The Cult is that so many people dig them up until Sonic Temple and then just abandoned them - Their best stuff came after that record...

I think Beyond Good and Evil is absolutely their best record all things considered. It rocks, is kind of spooky, has that tambourine thing all over it, and just kills. Not a lot of people have heard it, but it's probably the most Cult of all Cult records.

Every record they've put out is pretty great. I even dig the Holy Barbarians (though I've never really checked out Billy Duffy's side projects) and the "indie" Cult record (The Cult). They've never sounded contrived, or mechanical. Great band.

Saw Jane's Addiction this summer - They played the hits and seemed like they were just walking through - In the 5 or 6 times I've seen The Cult, they always played it like they meant it. What more can you ask from a band?

Dig it.

• Members
The weird thing about The Cult is that so many people dig them up until
Sonic Temple
and then just abandoned them - Their best stuff came after that record...

I think
Beyond Good and Evil
is absolutely their best record all things considered. It rocks, is kind of spooky, has that tambourine thing all over it, and just kills. Not a lot of people have heard it, but it's probably the most Cult of all Cult records.

Every record they've put out is pretty great. I even dig the Holy Barbarians (though I've never really checked out Billy Duffy's side projects) and the "indie" Cult record (
The Cult
). They've never sounded contrived, or mechanical. Great band.

Saw Jane's Addiction this summer - They played the hits and seemed like they were just walking through - In the 5 or 6 times I've seen The Cult, they always played it like they meant it. What more can you ask from a band?

Dig it.

I'm guilty of abandoning them in 91 - I bought Ceremony on release and just couldn't get along with it. Heart of Soul makes me shudder when I think of it.

But you've definitely inclined me to check out Beyond Good and Evil :thu:

• Members
Sonic Temple

I think
Beyond Good and Evil
is absolutely their best record all things considered. It rocks, is kind of spooky, has that tambourine thing all over it, and just kills. Not a lot of people have heard it, but it's probably the most Cult of all Cult records.

Every record they've put out is pretty great. I even dig the Holy Barbarians (though I've never really checked out Billy Duffy's side projects) and the "indie" Cult record (
The Cult

Dig it.

Cheers for the album tips :)

I must say, I was pretty disappointed last night. Ian Astbury seemed like he didnt want to be there and instead of singing, just spouted rubbish for most of the set... he couldnt hit any high notes either. The rest of the band seemed distant too, but played well.

The sound wasn't too great, which i couldn't believe considering it was the albert hall.

I know its not the same, but I seen UNKLE recently and Ian Astbury sang a song with them (Burn My Shadow) and was mindblowingly good...

• Members

Sonic Temple

I think
Beyond Good and Evil

The Cult

Dig it.

Very true stuff.

The self titled album is far and away my favorite. That's a great album. Beyond Good and Evil was bitchin as well.

As for Ian singing- he has great nights and then he has off nights (like most people). His time spent singing for The Doors really helped his singing a lot. One thing I noticed when I was following him with The Doors- he gets sick a lot. I saw The Doors 10 or 11 times and Ian had some kind of bug at 5 of those shows and it effected his performance.

Archived