To plexi or drri?

Neon Soul

• Members

I don't know what to do amp wise at the moment.

Right now I'm playing a 1987x Plexi ri (with the bright cap clipped) into a 2x12 with G12T-75's. It's good but gets real loud before it gets some good breakup going and I don't get as many chances as I'd like to crank it up when I'm gigging.

I'm thinking of selling it to get a drri. I've been liking fendery cleans recently and am leaning this way.

I'll be running a ts-9 or variant infront as well as a fuzzface/muff depending on mood and some delay, analog or digital depending on the gig.

Things to take into account:

- Plexi has an effects loop which is helpful when it's cranked up

- How will delay sound going into a breaking up drri?

- I have a real heavy handed drummer and loud bassist so will the drri be able to keep up without micing (cause micing might not always be an option, we do some diy party gigs.)

What do you reckon. Sell the plexi and get a drri? Keep the plexi? {censored} em both and get a different amp?

Recommendations are welcome.

• Members

i had a plexi 1987xl for a while but it was just too loud... it sounded so so so so so so so freaking good cranked though. most of the places i giged though couldnt handle it that loud so i sold it and picked up a JCM800. i absolutley love my jcm800 and still play most gigs with it but i picked up a DRRI too and it pretty much stole my heart. its not going to sound the same cranked at all but i just use some OD pedals and it sounds amazing. but idk... it sounds like you might want something like a JCM800... if the gig setting is right you can crank it and get some awesome marshall drive or you can play it clean with pedals or whatever you want. if i dont know what im up against at a gig i take the jcm800 because i know that no matter what i can dial in a sound i want.

but that said... the DRRI and teh 1987xl are awesome amps and beasts all their own. if you want fender cleans get a DRRI or a Twin. i just love the way my DRRI sounds clean and then overdriven with some pedals. try one out!

EDIT: i realize that that whole post doesnt really help at all because i love both of the JCM 800 and my DRRI but i gig more with my JCM800 because its easier for me to get my sound with it when i gig even though i love the sound of my DRRI more. I record, and practice with the DRRI!

• Members

i had a plexi 1987xl for a while but it was just too loud... it sounded so so so so so so so freaking good cranked though. most of the places i giged though couldnt handle it that loud so i sold it and picked up a JCM800. i absolutley love my jcm800 and still play most gigs with it but i picked up a DRRI too and it pretty much stole my heart. its not going to sound the same cranked at all but i just use some OD pedals and it sounds amazing. but idk... it sounds like you might want something like a JCM800... if the gig setting is right you can crank it and get some awesome marshall drive or you can play it clean with pedals or whatever you want. if i dont know what im up against at a gig i take the jcm800 because i know that no matter what i can dial in a sound i want.

but that said... the DRRI and teh 1987xl are awesome amps and beasts all their own. if you want fender cleans get a DRRI or a Twin. i just love the way my DRRI sounds clean and then overdriven with some pedals. try one out!

EDIT: i realize that that whole post doesnt really help at all because i love both of the JCM 800 and my DRRI but i gig more with my JCM800 because its easier for me to get my sound with it when i gig even though i love the sound of my DRRI more. I record, and practice with the DRRI!

The 1987x does sound awesome cranked but I only get the chance do do this every couple of months.

So what do you reckon about the drri holding up against a loud drummer and bassist without micing?

I'm leaning to drri if it can keep up but will need to take a trip to the guitar store to try it out.

• Members

The 1987x does sound awesome cranked but I only get the chance do do this every couple of months.

So what do you reckon about the drri holding up against a loud drummer and bassist without micing?

I'm leaning to drri if it can keep up but will need to take a trip to the guitar store to try it out.

it will definitely hold up against a drummer and bassist. i played a show once when i first got it... literally days after i got it and wasn't really used to it at all yet because my Marshall was broken. we played basically in the middle of a big ass room unmiced and all i had was the DRRI and my biggest problem was i couldn't hear my guitar at all. it was a mainly because i didn't have my pedals tweaked tot eh right settings and because it was a huge room and didn't have the amp pointed at me/ears... after the show everyone said i was extremely extremely loud (because i kept turning up to try and hear my self) i wouldn't really worry about it not being able to stand up but you just might want to angle it toward you if you dont have monitors. one time for kicks i hooked up a 412 cab to it and it actually sounded and worked really well for hearing my self. we were miced but im sure it would have kept up with the drums and bass.

i absolutley love the sound of my DRRI.

• Members

Keep the Plexi and save up for an attenuator. Use a SD-1 or something like that for now.

the attenuator ideas arn't bad at all... if you do get a DRRI youre going to need an OD pedal to get it to sound like your marshall an attenuator would be a good idea if you can save up for one.

• Members

I've got a similar setup, 1987x going into a Vox 2x12... only I have a Marshall Powerbrake attenuator taking off about 6-9dB, same sound without killing peeps.

If you're used to the Plexi, the DRRI will be a struggle. It's a great amp, but you'll miss the headroom and power/presence of the Plexi if that's what you are used too.

I've tried numerous lower powered alternatives and I can always get them good sounding for rhy sounds and riffs, etc, but, when I want to step it up they saturate more rather than kick in...

Attenuate. :)

• Members

I like my DRRI but it could barely be heard over my last drummer and bass player (who uses the tube SVT).

Do you place your amp on the floor? The thing I found with small combos and 1x12 setups in general is that you have to sit them up on a chair or table. Get them off the ground and you'll be able to hear yourself a lot better.

• Members

You should not sell your Plexi. You should save up and buy a used DRRI.

They are totally different beasts. You'll miss your Plexi when it's gone.

I like my DRRI. It's a good sounding amplifier, but not a truly great sounding amp in it's stock form. It's a pretty good workhorse that works well with a bunch of pedals, and you can make some simple improvements to it to get it in the "very good" category.

It will have enough power to play small to medium clubs, and it definitely helps if you can throw an SM57 in front of it.

It will not be able to hold it's own if you have a drummer who is very loud. I don't know of many open-back, 1x12" 22 watt amplifiers that can.

Again...I'd advise saving up for a used one, instead of getting rid of something that is tried and true for you.

• Members

SOT, but how does one perform the clipping of the bright cap mod?

I have a late '60's super lead('68, I think -serial number filed off before I got it) as well as a reissue. The reissue is so damn bright that I'm going into the low input of CHANNEL TWO!

Easy mod? Trained amp techs only?

• Members

Do you place your amp on the floor? The thing I found with small combos and 1x12 setups in general is that you have to sit them up on a chair or table. Get them off the ground and you'll be able to hear yourself a lot better.

It was better on a chair. But still, when I played rhythm (I'm the sole guitarist, with no keyboards) it got too mushy, so I switched to my Marshall JTM45 with a 2x12 closed back cabinet.

• Members

20W Lead and Bass?

idk if this will give him what he wants... it sounds like hes looking for the change of a fender clean. but its a good suggestion. i had one of these after i sold my plexi and it was just too muddy for me :idk:

Archived