Do I want an AC4TV?

LR Weizel

• Members

Basically I'm looking for a good clean amp for pedals, for recording and bedroom jamming. The AC4TV seems to fit the bill but I'm not sure how good it is with Fuzzes and high gain distortions.

It would also be nice to have a giggable amp so I'm considering looking for a JAzz Chorus or saving up for cheap used Tiny Terror instead. The JC has no dirt of it's own though and the TT probably doesn't take pedals well.

I was thinking an AC4TV would be good as I like fuzz throug my AC30 amplug, and I was thinking it might give me Joy Division, Bauhausy kind of dirt. I do like the tone of the Orange a lot too but it's more expensive and from what I've heard not great clean.

The AC4TV does look cute too so that makes it very appealing.

There's quite limited selection as to what I can get here sadly too. Any ideas?

• Members

I'm not sure it's really a clean amp - it breaks up pretty early, but it takes pedals extremely well. If you really want clean, the Champ 600 is pretty good (though it sounds much better through a separate cab and not the little speaker it comes with), but even that breaks up at around noon-1.

I have the Vox and love it. It's a great, great amp.

For giggable clean amps, look for a Princeton Super Chorus - I think it was built to compete with the JC-120, so similar capabilites, sounds good and typically very inexpensive - regularly see them here for $200-$275

• Members
I'm not sure it's really a clean amp - it breaks up pretty early, but it takes pedals extremely well. If you really want clean, the Champ 600 is pretty good (though it sounds much better through a separate cab and not the little speaker it comes with), but even that breaks up at around noon-1.

For giggable clean amps, look for a Princeton Super Chorus - I think it was built to compete with the JC-120, so similar capabilites, sounds good and typically very inexpensive - regularly see them here for $200-$275

This gentleman has provided you accurate information.

It isnt clean at higher volumes, buy does sound very tasty with pedals.

I still say, DO IT.

P1020517.jpg

• Members

I think I want one. Or the Night train. I have a Valve Jr/ cab as my surround amp, but this Vox is enticing.

There's always this discussion too, about the combo or head. I would probably go head, as I have a can already I could use.

• Members

It depends what you mean by "clean" though. Most clean tones I'd use would be very slightly dirty. If it takes dirt well and doesn't colour it too much that's all I care about.

My main concern would be that it's too "blues" voiced. I'd like to get slightly overdriven to mid gain tones like those of Joy Division, Bauhaus, the Chameleons, etc. Post Punk kind of stuff.

• Members

i kinda found the complete opposite witht he champ 600 compared to the ac4. the champ 600 was too muddy for me and just didnt do it for me. i really likethe clean on my ac4. it breaks up a very nicely and somewhat early but the clean tone is a high enough volume for me that i dont feel like i need to turn up more. great bedroom amp and for recording. i dont know if i would ever gig with it though... that said i still absolutly love mine. great little amp for the price!

EDIT: at higher volumes it is a dirty dirty amp but it sounds really awesome! and it takes pedals pretty well. the natural drive when turned up is just sooo nice! if you like a little dirt in your clean then this would be a good choice

• Members

I really like these kind of lower gain tones -

http://www.box.net/shared/asilcvtg2z

Though that's kind of a bit more Fendery I think but it has a The Edge kinda vibe so I'd be more inclined to say Vox. Hard to tell with all the delay! The bell like "clean" tones at 5:00 or so until the end I really like.

http://www.box.net/shared/2ptyrdsgtd

This is my favourite clean sound I've gotten. You can hear a small amount of dirt when I play 3 or more strings harshly at once but mostly it's very clean I guess.

• Members

i kinda found the complete opposite witht he champ 600 compared to the ac4. the champ 600 was too muddy for me and just didnt do it for me.

The Champ 600 is pretty muddy through the little speaker - it sounds much better through an external cab (I ran it through a 2x10 with 30W ceramic Jensens).

• Members

The Champ 600 is pretty muddy through the little speaker - it sounds much better through an external cab (I ran it through a 2x10 with 30W ceramic Jensens).

maybe thats why... i was just playing some stock one at a local shop. maybe i need to take another look at this little guy. you can usally pick them up for around 100 bucks sometimes.

• Members

Can anyone compare this amp to the Valve Jr? Specifically the two heads, and how tonally similar or disimilar they are to each other?

Owned both at the same time.

The VJ stayed cleaner longer, but overall the tone was much muddier, and just not as good, clean or distorted.

• Members

Maybe a Vibrochamp or something. I hadn't looked much at Fender's lower end tube amps.

Sounds like you might want to track down a vintage Princeton.

Small, lower volume, as clean as it gets.

They can be had for under $500 all day, just got one myself.

• Members

The VJ stayed cleaner longer, but overall the tone was much muddier, and just not as good, clean or distorted.

Good to know. I like the demo I've heard from the Night train head too, but it's a few more bucks. Could be worth it though.

• Members

Good to know. I like the demo I've heard from the Night train head too, but it's a few more bucks. Could be worth it though.

The Night Train is a LOUD 15W. It sounds amazing, but if you are playing on playing at low volumes, you will be sad that you can't crank it. If you need something for gig volumes, though, it's great amp (not sure how clean it stays at full volume, though)

• Members
The Night Train is a LOUD 15W. It sounds amazing, but if you are playing on playing at low volumes, you will be sad that you can't crank it. If you need something for gig volumes, though, it's great amp (not sure how clean it stays at full volume, though)

I would still recommend the NT for home practice. You can knock it down to seven watts and just keep the master and gain low. Not ideal, maybe, but you'll have an amp you can still crank up when available :thu:

• Members

The Night Train is pretty expensive though. People keep recommending this stuff but for the same price I could probably pick up a use JCM2000 or something. Yeah I'd need an attenuator too but still, a lot of these "cheap tube amps" aren't necessarily all that good value.

• Members

yeah this is very true. the VJ was muddy and it wasnt really specifically good at either dirt or clean

Archived