UEFA Champion's League

mis5dis6gis7

• Members

Yeah the training ground was so ridiculous it was untrue. Basically they sold their old training ground to the local government at what was a massively inflated price. It was investigated at the time by the EU, but surprise surprise they couldn't find any incriminating evidence. Although this is of course the same EU who couldn't find their arse with their index finger.

Blatter and Platini are both detestable too. I've seen an interview with Platini criticising debt in one sentence, and then when asked why he only seemed to be referring to English teams and what about Real Madrid, replied that what Madrid was doing was OK because they can afford to pay off the debt?! Mmmkay, except United's operating income is double Madrid's because we're far more profitable so what exactly is he talking about?

They just hate the Premier League

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well .. Don't think that any club is totally clean this days.

Madrid tried to make a good team this year, last year one was crap, so I don't see the problem about buying good players. Maybe envy??? Wouldn't you like to have Kaka in your favourite team? Wasn't Zidane good and decisive?

But I know that to have the players working as a team is much more difficult than to just pay for them.. And that's the risk for Madrid this season.

Ah, no hooligans ranting please.. I have enough of that when I go to Spain

• Members

Yeah, exactly, they are trying to buy the title.

I can understand that a team needs to buy players if they're really in need, but Real Madrid is just overdoing it. And now they don't let Raul nor Van Nistelrooy start.

I really like how Barcelona still can kick their ass, without spending 200+ million euros to buy players. They do it the right way : let your own players grow, help them become the best, instead of throwing them aside to buy the next 50 million football star...

• Members

Because they try to buy the title buy spending zillions, they upset clubs buy constantly saying they will buy their star players and go unpunished and dont show any real team spirit as far as im concerned. I would chuck in Chelsea and Manchester City into that bundle too...

:idk:

I get sick of all this whining about Real Madrid or Chelsea or Man City spending money. It's all relative. Man U outspends at least 90% of the teams they face each year, but Man U fans always want to cry foul when another team spends more than they do. If it's perfectly fair for Man U to spend more money than say, Aston Villa, then why isn't it fair for someone to outspend Man U? It's just such hypocrisy. I'm fine with a salary cap, if FIFA wants to institute such a thing, but as long as it's an uneven playing field anyway, I don't see a problem with Real Madrid spending as much money as they can to get whomever they want.

• Members

I get sick of all this whining about Real Madrid or Chelsea or Man City spending money. It's all relative.

This.

Can't see the difference in spending 60mil on Kaka

and

spending 69mil on Ibrahimovic (trading Eto'o for 20mil [although he's at least as worthy as Zlatan!!!]).

All top european teams spend ridicoulus money on players.

• Members

I get sick of all this whining about Real Madrid or Chelsea or Man City spending money. It's all relative. Man U outspends at least 90% of the teams they face each year, but Man U fans always want to cry foul when another team spends more than they do. If it's perfectly fair for Man U to spend more money than say, Aston Villa, then why isn't it fair for someone to outspend Man U? It's just such hypocrisy. I'm fine with a salary cap, if FIFA wants to institute such a thing, but as long as it's an uneven playing field anyway, I don't see a problem with Real Madrid spending as much money as they can to get whomever they want.

What a load of {censored}e. For a start United spend money they have earned and nothing else, and if Madrid can buy using a bank's money and with UEFA's blessing, then I'm damn sure they can have absolutely nothing to say about United's spending.

Secondly, since the Premier League began in 92, United are third in the list of spending behind Chelsea at the top and Liverpool in second.

Chelsea

• Members

The only team i really enjoy watching is Arsenal, and this year with Arshavin (one of the 10 best football players ever imo) they have more chances than the last edition

But, since i'm italian i heavily support Inter (also because i think Balotelli is one of the more promising talents of italian football) :)

• Members

What a load of {censored}e. For a start United spend money they have earned and nothing else, and if Madrid can buy using a bank's money and with UEFA's blessing, then I'm damn sure they can have absolutely nothing to say about United's spending.

Secondly, since the Premier League began in 92, United are third in the list of spending behind Chelsea at the top and Liverpool in second.

Chelsea

• Members

What a bunch of double speak. Last time I checked, there are 20 teams in the Premier League. Even if United is only the 6-8 in terms of net spending there, they're still outspending most of the league. If it's cool for them to spend more than Portsmouth, then why is it a problem for someone to spend more than them? Oh, because United "spend money they have earned and nothing else"? Then I guess they don't need to worry about being 700 million dollars in debt. I don't care if the money came from fans or investors, if a club needs to spend money to stay competitive, then where do you get off criticizing them? You would rather there was less competition? I just don't get that.

United are also earning more than anyone else in the league and have been more successful than anyone else in the league. If someone earns 150k a year should he be criticised if he spends more money on a house than someone who's on 20k a year? Your argument is meaningless. The figure show that our spending has been considerably more frugal than maybe 35-40% of the league in recent years despite being much more successful than any of them. I don't think that singles United out for any criticism at all in anyone other than a bitter rival.

And United's debt is also meaningless for this argument. Glazer took out a

• Members

United are also earning more than anyone else in the league and have been more successful than anyone else in the league. If someone earns 150k a year should he be criticised if he spends more money on a house than someone who's on 20k a year? Your argument is meaningless. The figure show that our spending has been considerably more frugal than maybe 35-40% of the league in recent years despite being much more successful than any of them. I don't think that singles United out for any criticism at all in anyone other than a bitter rival.

Your house analogy is silly. If someone offered the guy who makes 20k a year an extra 200k, he shouldn't take it? A business that has a small customer base shouldn't be allowed to take an outside investment that would allow them to compete at a higher level? Man U may only spend what they make in revenue these days, but if you look back, there was a time when they had to spend more in order to get to the status that they currently enjoy. It seems silly when all you Man U fans want to prevent others from doing the same thing and growing their franchise through investments.

I may be a Chelsea fan, but I'm a soccer fan and a Premier League fan more than anything. I want there to be a higher level of competition. It's a joke that Man U or Chelsea or Arsenal play so many games against the likes of Portsmouth and West Ham that are practically glorified exhibitions. Sure, there is the rare loss or draw here or there, but the results are usually quite predictable, because the other teams don't have the money to get the talent and depth the big four have.

I'm not a Man City fan, but I'm glad they're spending money and I want them to do well. The more competitive teams, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I just don't get why fans of any of the big four (and it seems like Man U fans are the most vociferous in this) criticize others for spending money. If you don't like to see competition, then why do you follow sports at all?

• Members

I'm not a Man City fan, but I'm glad they're spending money and I want them to do well. The more competitive teams, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I just don't get why fans of any of the big four (and it seems like Man U fans are the most vociferous in this) criticize others for spending money. If you don't like to see competition, then why do you follow sports at all?

I'm glad they're spending money too, it makes it much more satisfying when we beat them. You do seem like a lot of blinkered ABUs though and see criticisms from United fans that aren't really there. But then even if you disagree with it, you've got to argue for the mass cash injection no matter what the implications because you're trying to justify the way your team has tried to build their business. Like I said, I don't care how much you spend or Real, and if Abramovich pisses off next year and leaves you with zero money and a negative income then I'll obviously laugh a lot, but that's the risk you've taken so I don't care about it as it will never affect me or my team who are financially incomparable.

As far as competition is concerned, I love it. Unfortunately no one has been good enough to offer long term title winning opposition and despite a couple of anomolies, we've continued to dominate. But that makes winning all the more sweet for us, it wouldn't be as satisfying if we were 15 points ahead at the end of every season. If we're beating a team to the title who's spent as much as Chelsea then it's obviously that we're doing something right.

• Members

This argument is getting old. It seems like you're twisting yourself into knots to justify why it's cool for Man U to outspend most of their competition and why it's not cool for others to outspend Man U. Man U was built with outside investments and now you criticize other teams for trying to build with outside investments. It makes no sense to me.

• Members

This argument is getting old. It seems like you're twisting yourself into knots to justify why it's cool for Man U to outspend most of their competition and why it's not cool for others to outspend Man U. Man U was built with outside investments and now you criticize other teams for trying to build with outside investments. It makes no sense to me.

No it isn't getting old, there's still lots to mileage here, and to be honest I have nothing to justify. United don't out-spend most of our competition because our usual competition nationally is the top 4, two of which have spent more money than we have since the Premier League inception AND in the last 5 years. I see no reason at all why I would need to justify us spending more money than Portsmouth (who really aren't our competition as their current position will testify). It's like asking why a Ferrari costs more than a Punto.

I'm still extremely interested in you pointing out where I've criticized other teams for outside investment. United have built season on season through revenue thanks to their massive fan base and success, and have never needed a bank loan or a oligarch to buy players, but if that's what you need, then go for it.

• Members

Sooo... who has a team strong enough to win the Champions League this year?

For what I see in the premier League all the Strong teams are doing so so, while the small ones are winning unexpectedly.

Juve seems to be strong this season

Madrid and Barsa started very well the season, but they did some bad matches recently. Madrid losing and Barsa having a difficult time with the first round of the Champions, they need to win the next 2 matches to go to the next round.

Where did the german teams go?

Archived