Old FX market vs. newer FX market

Kassanova

• Members

My own personal observations have been a mixed bag. One of my first pedals, an Ibanez PT-9 phaser, came from a pawn shop. I think I paid about $15 for it.

While I still find deals on some things, I've found that a lot of effects that are called rare really aren't "rare" but rather just "old" are going for abnormally high prices. Also, some newer pedals that probably should have dropped in price by now aren't budging.

Aside from a couple of things, I pretty much have a lot of the pedals I want but shopping seems to have become a lot more aggressive these days and it all seems to be about hype and trying to trigger peoples' gear lust rather than how it used to be - there was good gear and crap and usually the crap was cheap. Now a crap piece of gear can take off like a rocket in sales while good gear can go practically unnoticed. Also, a lot of gear that's mediocre is passing itself off as "quality" by being dressed up nicely. It seems like its much more of a game these days.

I look back on some of my old gear and realize that I got some really cool stuff back in the day; most of which was acquired through pawn shops.

On the other hand, eBay has allowed me to get some things that I would have otherwise never have seen or maybe never knew existed, so there is an upside to them, too.

• Members

Maybe it's just because I lived in a {censored}ty town, but before ebay/craigslist, it was pretty rare for me to see an effects pedal in a pawnshop, and even when one did turn up, it was usually a boss pedal priced $10 less than new. So, I've found many more good deals on ebay than I ever did in a pawnshop.

Archived