U2 delay pedal

Guitarboy48

• Members

I have been playing a lot of U2 lately (Streets, Still havent found what i'm looking for, Bad, with or without you, etc.) and am looking for a delay pedal than can help me get the Edge's tone. He uses two delay pedals, so preferably I can get a pedal that has two separate delays in one. My budget is $200, so what is the best pedal i can get?

• Members

He has used Nova Delays in the past, however, I can't say if this THE best pedal for the job. There are so many other choices. Eventide Timefactor, Boost D.L.A., Empress Superdelay...the list goes on. You need a pedal that can do modulated delays and dotted eighth notes.

• Members

Boss DD-20 will get you the dotted 8th note stuff The Edge uses on Streets... you can set it to let you tap in quarter notes, and out will come the dotted 8th, rhythmically AWESOMENESS.

Also has good modulation, and I believe 3 presets, along with the option to plug in an external tap tempo, which I strongly recommend.

You can find a used DD-20 anywhere from $150-$200 used. :thu:

EDIT: I should also add that tap tempo is a MUST for doing U2 stuff; will often keep the whole band in time. :thu:

• Members

I have been playing a lot of U2 lately (Streets, Still havent found what i'm looking for, Bad, with or without you, etc.) and am looking for a delay pedal than can help me get the Edge's tone. He uses two delay pedals, so preferably I can get a pedal that has two separate delays in one. My budget is $200, so what is the best pedal i can get?

The reason Edge's delay sounds different than how most people normally use delay (mostly) isn't what he uses, it's how he uses it. And you don't NEED two pedals, although you can thicken your main sound with a really short slapback like he does if you can afford that.

The main factor in all of the songs you mentioned is a digital delay, timed to repeat a note 3/16 of a beat (a dotted eighth note) after it is played, which creates its own rhythm effect. Plenty of digital delays have a tap tempo mode which allows you to tap quarter notes and the chip inside the pedal automatically times the repeats to 3/16 based on that. The cheapest pedals that do this are the Boss DD-7 (5 and 6, now discontinued, also do this and can be snagged real cheap used) and the Line 6 Echo Park. Both of those have other cool features and will fill your needs just fine. If you're not looking for an expensive pedal than don't get one just because you think you need it, you can get either of those for $150 new.

I especially wouldn't get an analog delay or a digital delay without tap tempo. Obviously, you can dial in the delay time control yourself to get the rhythm, but that involves being on your knees moving from the knob in between songs if you want to go from playing Bad to playing Streets. With regards to someone's suggestion of a Deluxe Memory Man, it is true that Edge used that, but only on the first three albums and not on any of the songs you mentioned.

One minor factor that does give Edge's delay a bit of color is the fact that the Korg rack delays he uses in the studio date back to the very beginning of digital delay and have a 12-bit sample rate which gives the repeats a bit of a crushed or darker sound. But this is really not very noticeable.

• Members

eventide timefactor. hands down best delay pedal (some people will push for the empress, but i think the LCD screen is very important) on the market. it also operates in the fashion you speak - it is a 'twin delay' pedal - meaning that instead of running in series (one delay line fed into the next), they are running parallel (one signal going into two independent delay lines).

the TC Electronic units will save you money, and are good themselves.

• Members

so, I am thinking about getting the DD20, but how does the "dual delay" actually work? how many cables do I need? where they go? can anyone briefly describe the setup that it would involve? thanks

you only need 1 cable it just runs two delays in a row and you set different times for each one

not sure on the dd20 but other pedals you can use 2 cables and run it in stereo

Archived