Is KORG TRITON the best keyboard?

Woodcs82

• Members

I actually quite like Korg's EPs, though I agree with you about the brass thing.

But to the 5 Tritons guy... do you have a Yanni fetish that you want to get out of the closet?

Quite the opposite, I hate the Korg EPs on the Triton series (M3 is not bad though) but LOVE the brass patches.....yum....

• Members

Each to their own I guess, I just have a thing against sampled brass
:p

I hear ya on that, but it beats splitting the spoils of your gig with a 4-5 piece brass section, though they would sound AMAZING !!!!!!!!

The Triton does the job without the Brass band......

• Members

I'm a Korg guy.

I bought my Triton Classic in 1999 or 2000 - can't remember. I do most of my composing on it, and it's served me well.

Having said that, I don't know that I'd say that the Trition is the best of all, for all time. Best is a relative term - the Trition may or may not be for you. You'll find just as many people here who love it as hate it, and I wouldn't base a high dollar purchase on our opinions alone.

I suggest you play around with workstations from the big 3 and pick the one you like to play. That will be the best keyboard - for you.

• Members

Each to their own I guess, I just have a thing against sampled brass
:p

+1

On those rare occasions I have to play brass parts for some reason I feel really uncomfortable :D

I also dislike Triton EPs and pianos, actually it is the one of the main reasons why Im considering replacing my Triton, cause its just way too impractical lugging a stage piano around...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I own one of the first tritons Even now It serves me fine as a useful musical instrument though it's limited in expandability It still uses magnetic floppies w/ an optional scsi port. the poly programable arp is something that some of the higher end synths are sporting these day's.

• Members

I was a Triton classic user. When it came time to upgrade I seriously considered switching to Yamaha. I went with Extreme and never looked back.

I didn't want the frustration of having to learn to do things the Yamaha way. I really like the Triton touch screen interface. With MOSS exb it is the best synth (of the big 3 romplers not including piano sounds YMMV :)

TRITON hath Spake!

Triton-Classic.jpg

• Members

I was a Triton classic user. When it came time to upgrade I seriously considered switching to Yamaha. I went with Extreme and never looked back.

I didn't want the frustration of having to learn to do things the Yamaha way. I really like the Triton touch screen interface. With MOSS exb it is the best synth (of the big 3 romplers not including piano sounds YMMV
:)

:thu: Yep. I had the fully expanded Triton Classic and the Extreme. It was no contest. The Extreme was a little monster. The 32 meg ROM of the Classic was just enough to cover the workstation basics, but the Extreme had sounds to spare. Paired up with the MOSS, it was incredible.

I used to have the MOSS, before selling it to G-Bus. Awesome synth that was.

• Members

Ahhhhh Yes the Triton Classic, I fell in love with keyboards all over again when Korg introduced the Triton to replace the Trinity (The Trinity was a great upgrade from the O1/W series though).

After the first night on the Triton Classic I knew this board was a must for the series gigging musician. The number of professional board players touring with Tritons speaks volumes in and of itself.

Upgrading to the Extreme was the best thing I ever did. I have since owned 4 (not sure why I sell my Extreme only to buy another one :confused:). I just bought another one this week to put back in the studio..... Ahhhhh I finally feel complete.

Not sold on that new M3 though, what was Korg thinking?????

• Members

Here is the "best keyboard":

barbarellathepleasureorzo0.jpg

Not many of these in good condition today. But if you do get one, replace the leaky caps before powering up and clean out the black gunk that collected under the keybed. Oh yeah, feed Jane, too, she's probably hungry after forty years.

• Members

Maybe the M3 is one of those thing that you have to spend some quality time with to appreciate. I tried to monkey with one at my local GC, and I just wasn't getting it. The UI just had me totally confused.
:idk:

And if you have to spend gobs of time with it just to appreciate it, is it for you? Survey says - no. It's probably better for those who like to do hardcore fiddling and tweaking. I'll do my share of editing, but I don't dive deep.

I was sorely - sorely - tempted this weekend to swap my Pro-X (gasp!) for an S90-ES. Holy cow, but the piano on that baby is sweet! I could actually play ppp on it and hear every note! Seems like it's a better board for composing - a bit more intuitive, plus the guitars and drums are killer. Even went so far as to play one for 2 hours at GC. Thought about it, and called today to ask their best deal. It was on sale for $1699, but that was a special that ended in April. Back up to two grand today. :mad::mad:

Curses! Foiled again!

• Members

I hear ya, but that tube is soooooo SWEET!!!!! What was Korg thinking?????
:confused:

No space for a real tube with the new component system setup. I wasn't to sold on it but now that I have an M3 and think about it, it makes good sense.

Now if you gig with a Korg piece and tear it up, you can just replace the keyboard assembly. The synth section is not what usually gets beat up from extended use, it's the chassis.

• Members

Maybe the M3 is one of those thing that you have to spend some quality time with to appreciate. I tried to monkey with one at my local GC, and I just wasn't getting it. The UI just had me totally confused.
:idk:

I find it pretty easy to navigate but still prefer using the editor to program sounds. What gets a lot of attention is the KARMA and never forget that the Parameter Guide is 700 pages. :eek:

A lot to get to know not counting the Radias option.

The modulation options are VERY extensive. Consider that with just about everything being able to be tied to the Sw1 and SW2 switches, joystick, built in Kaoss Pad, and the Ribbon Controller.

A great deal to learn and do here so you know you won't get bored with it for quite some time if at all. Part of the reason I cleared all my hardware synths besides the P'08 and grabbed some outboard.

Archived