Modular synths for signal processing

kwote

• Members

Hey everyone. I was just wondering how many of you do or have considered using synth modules for processing your guitar, etc.?

I kinda go back and forth between pedals and modules guitar wise. Turntable I just use the modules.

• Members

The problem with using synth modules, as I understand it, is that they operate at line level, so you can't plug a guitar directly into most of them, and depending on your signal chain they may be too hot for certain pedals further down the chain. I'm not exactly sure what you need to use, but you need some sort of amplifier to boost your guitar signal to Line level and then input to the synth module. You could get around the lack of a stomp switch by using a bypass strip of some sort and could be quite a cost effective way of building a guitar synth, but just a couple modules might not react well in a 'regular' set up; I haven't really looked into it and could be off base so feel free to correct me if so. Also as Phil noted, some synths have inputs for use of their filters and other onboard effects, like the Alesis Ion/Micron, Moog Minimoog, and others.

Archived