OT: Indiana Wind Fields

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

People may be down on nuclear power, but I'd rather have a nuke plant than a coal plant any day. SO much cleaner!

Nuclear waste may be some nasty stuff, but at least it's a material that has potential to be re-used in some way; though bombs are certainly not what I have in mind.

I think wind farms are a great idea too. They could probably get a ton of power from the plains.

I guess the best energy source might be something that collected the cosmic background radiation and all the random RF that floats around the universe all the time.

• Members

People may be down on nuclear power, but I'd rather have a nuke plant than a coal plant any day. SO much cleaner!

Nuclear waste may be some nasty stuff, but at least it's a material that has potential to be re-used in some way; though bombs are certainly not what I have in mind.

I think wind farms are a great idea too. They could probably get a ton of power from the plains.

I guess the best energy source might be something that collected the cosmic background radiation and all the random RF that floats around the universe all the time.

Yeah, give me nuclear power over any of this {censored}.

• Members

That's not possible, it violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. There's a difference between energy and exergy. A gallon of gas has contains a lot of energy, but also a lot of exergy, which is the potential to harness that energy to do work. After you burn up the gas in your car, the energy still exists. It has been turned into heat that radiated out into the pavement (friction) and the ambient air, and possibly a change in the gravitational potential of your car. You can't recapture that energy and make a gallon of gas again though. Same deal with background radiation. Entropy is a one-direction thing.

• Members

Nuclear has three major problems:

1) The waste, which we still haven't figured out what to do with.

2) The cost. Nuclear plants are incredibly expensive. They also tend to always take longer and cost more than projected. Investors are pretty damn wary about putting money into nuclear at this point, for good reason. Check out this article and be glad it's Finland and not the US on the paying end of THAT bill - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/29/business/energy-environment/29nuke.html

3) Nuclear may not emit CO2 from the plants, but it's still dependent on an extremely rare mineral that must be mined and processed. Uranium mines are horribly dirty. They pollute waterways and leave permanent scars on the landscape. Furthermore, because Uranium is a commodity, nuclear power will always be subject to price fluctuations as the cost of uranium rises and falls. Ultimately it is a finite resource just like coal and petroleum. Wind, sun, waves, and geo thermal are all free once the infrastructure is in place.

Also, the cheapest form of energy in terms of $ per KwH is EFFICIENCY!!! We don't do nearly enough to save energy in the US.

• Members

The Chicago to Indy drive might have been the most boring ride known to man. The wind fields are definitely the highlight and make that trip tolerable.

Oh no. I much prefer the Chi-town -> Indy drive to the South Bend/Elkhart -> Indy drive down 31. Gah. Nearly killed myself a number of times due to zoning out. . . Can't imagine what its like where the landscape is truly barren.

• Members

The Chicago to Indy drive might have been the most boring ride known to man. The wind fields are definitely the highlight and make that trip tolerable.

Oh yeah, it's terrible. And my friends in Chicago wonder why I don't come up and visit more often...

Hopefully, now that I'm living in the Circus Capital, it will be a quicker drive because I'm slightly further north than where I was.

Actually, taking the train from Lafayette is probably the best way to go, but it's not good if transporting gear is involved with the trip.

• Members

Oh yeah, it's terrible. And my friends in Chicago wonder why I don't come up and visit more often...

Hopefully, now that I'm living in the Circus Capital, it will be a quicker drive because I'm slightly further north than where I was.

Actually, taking the train from Lafayette is probably the best way to go, but it's not good if transporting gear is involved with the trip.

You moved to Baraboo?

• Members

Since I'm from Dayton, OH...went to school at Purdue in West Lafayette, and currently live in chicago I've driven that stretch of 65 countless times, and I have yet to see them. I'm actually very curious to see them on the trip back to Dayton for christmas.

Can you see them easily from 65?

• Members

I make this drive about once a week. Its hell.

But nothing's worse than I-80 through Nebraska. Nothing. Nothing.

• Members

They have those all over ontario, there massive, a lot of people that live near them complain about the noise they make, most people dont believe them.

Yeah, I see them all the time. They just put a bunch up outside of my hometown. I think they're great!

Archived