So Ebay Is A Rip Off These Days I Find...

mikeoxlong

• Members

I find it's more the selling fees that put me off. As for gear, people can charge what they want. Different real and online stores will have different prices. They're probably trying to cover their seller fees. Unless you're looking for something rare/used then you don't have to use ebay shops.

• Members

That's only evidence that your local music store owner isn't very smart. I'm sure he's not selling them $100 cheaper out of the goodness of his heart.

well long and mcquade is easily the biggest chain of music stores in Canada so they must be doin something right

• Members

out of curiosity what 2 pedals did you buy that were $50-100 cheaper? I suppose you just have a good local music store, the places around where I live don't usually have good deals so buying online is the best for me.

I bought a memory lane 2 for over $100 cheaper than I could find it anywhere (even pro guitar shop), and the store had one in stock (maybe something to do with Diamond being a Canadian pedal company)

Just ordered a Woolly Mammoth for $50 cheaper, if you consider the currency conversion rate

this is all off the actual selling price and doesn't include the shipping and duty I would have had to pay on top.

• Members

New stuff is hard to find deals, but alot of times you can find some gems on EBAY for a steal. I bought 2 Keeley pedals (normally found from $140 to $200), an old Ross Phaser and another vintage Screamer and paid no more than $200 for all 4 pedals. Its just a matter of what ur lookin for I guess, but Ive lucked out.

now if I had to replace my Whammy WH1 or some of my other pedals, Id be totally screwed for price.. this collectors priced market has thrown some gear into stratospheric (ridiculous) pricing. But for the most part if u have some patience and take some time looking for what u want, u can be surprised what u find.

• Members

I think buying crap on ebay isnt so bad. But selling junk is even worse.
So many freaken fees. They charge a percentage, and basically charge you again for the paypal transaction.

+1

Ebay was AWESOME about 6 years ago. I sold a few things as a very minimal cost (less than $10 total fee for >$200 auctions) back then. Now, however, it's gone WAY downhill. It's ridiculous how greedy they've become.

BUT, if you wait, you can occasionally find that killer deal of someone auctioning what you want with NR. It's a lot more rare than it used to be, though.

Archived