M9/13: pioneering effects desegregation

dandy13

• Members

i'm obviously really bored, but in reading over some of the discussion in the BOTB threads i got to thinking. Before these units came along, multi-effects almost seemed in a separate classification from pedals. Just like rack units v individual pedals. I know Boss for instance has tried to make their multi's more pedal-like in the past with the interface and what-not but I'm curious as to why Line 6 has succeeded where others have failed. What is it about the M13/9 that has allowed it to become accepted by stompbox users, or even considered more or less a stomp box as opposed to a multi-effect? Just curious

• Members

I think the ability to route the effects in any order is a big part of it - most other multi-effects (including the other Line products, line the PodXT line) pretty much dictate the effect order. Also, building on a couple of widely accepted pedals (the DL4 and Verbzilla) helps - many people have justified buying them on the theory that it's like buying a couple of DL4's and getting everything else thrown in for free. The looping function is also implemented very well (at least on the M13 - have not tried the M9).

• Members

The ME50 came "close", but this one is "better".

It's famous and well loved effects being put in a cheaper than before package.

It's the improved but well known looper.

It's the "No Menus" interface that appeals to pedal users.

It's the encouragement to use your own effects still.

It's the ability to program any footswitch with any effect, therefore wasting none.

It's the free downloads.

It's Rich Renken on this forum asking for feedback and answering questions.

Off the top of my head, these are some of the things the M Series has over Boss.

And that Boss has Johnny DeMarco....

• Members

What is it about the M13/9 that has allowed it to become accepted by stompbox users, or even considered more or less a stomp box as opposed to a multi-effect? Just curious

The DL4.

It really was a landmark pedal, and I think very shortly after it came out, people started to want a bit more, in the same sized package. Hey, processors are always getting faster, surely they can fit more fx in the same space.

Also, I think the quality of the fx, and the menu-free interface are hits (not that other multis don't have knobs and simply displays, it's just one reason why the M9's experiencing uptake).

Also notice, the M9 had generated WAY more buzz and interest than the M13. It fits ON a pedalboard. Big plus.

• Members

The ME50 came "close", but this one is "better".

It's famous and well loved effects being put in a cheaper than before package.

It's the improved but well known looper.

It's the "No Menus" interface that appeals to pedal users.

It's the encouragement to use your own effects still.

It's the ability to program any footswitch with any effect, therefore wasting none.

It's the free downloads.

It's Rich Renken on this forum asking for feedback and answering questions.

Off the top of my head, these are some of the things the M Series has over Boss.

And that Boss has Johnny DeMarco....

this but also the depth of stompbox parameters. a lot of multi fx have shallow parameters, for example no 100% wet reverb, no mix for phasers, no tone for delay, etc.

the M9 is a hit because it improved known pedals that are well loved and used in a small package.

• Members

^^ it has six possible spots, up to three at a time... all controllable via universal tap-tempo...

what, up to three at a time? So I can have 18 modulation effects going at one time...elaborate upon this 18 fx at one time concept kind sir before GAS erupts through my pants!

• Members

Whoops, I answered my own question. The 3 effects at once is simply 3 separate footswitches at once. I thought you meant each footswitch acted as a mini bank that could hold 3 presets each because that would be beastly...so yeah...I have NO NEED for an M9 at the moment. It's just a big DL4/MM4/FM4/DM4 all rolled into one, thats great for some people, but not necessary for me.

• Members

Whoops, I answered my own question. The 3 effects at once is simply 3 separate footswitches at once. I thought you meant each footswitch acted as a mini bank that could hold 3 presets each because that would be beastly...so yeah...I have NO NEED for an M9 at the moment. It's just a big DL4/MM4/FM4/DM4 all rolled into one, thats great for some people, but not necessary for me.

There are tons of improvements though. The Keeley mods have been added to the M9/13 I was told, also you can use 3 effects at the same time with the M9, whereas with the DL-4, MM-4, etc. you can only use one at once. Plus the looper is much improved, extra added effects, global tap tempo, presets blah, blah, blah.

• Members

There are tons of improvements though. The Keeley mods have been added to the M9/13 I was told, also you can use 3 effects at the same time with the M9, whereas with the DL-4, MM-4, etc. you can only use one at once. Plus the looper is much improved, extra added effects, global tap tempo, presets blah, blah, blah.

verstion 3.0 will also feature a WIIO emulator.

• Members

so for those who run dirt pedals with this, are there loops so that you can place them "in between" the 3 effects on the m9? Or are you stuck running the other pedals on your board all before or all after the m9. Also, do the delays sound the same as on a dl4? Is their expression pedal control over the delays?

thanks

• Members

so for those who run dirt pedals with this, are there loops so that you can place them "in between" the 3 effects on the m9? Or are you stuck running the other pedals on your board all before or all after the m9. Also, do the delays sound the same as on a dl4? Is their expression pedal control over the delays?

thanks

no loops on the m9.

delays are better than the DL4 and the looper is a lot better.

exp pedal: yes, if you can control it by knob, you can control it by exp pedal.

• Members

thanks

Stuck?

If you need and fx loop, get the M13. This is supposed to be small, streamlined, with essential features.

The dirt models might surprise you too.

• Members

I think the M series is succeeding because they have been designed and marketed in a stompbox aesthetic rather than a "patch" aesthetic.

I can't tell you how much I HATE having to program a patch with compression, chorus, reverb, and dirt... and then having to program another patch next to it with compression, chorus, and reverb JUST TO TURN OFF THE OVERDRIVE. If you look at my RP200, it's set up so strange. My first patch is totally clean with everything off- it's named "BIPASS" (to differentiate from the real bypass). I had to do that, or inevitably I'd have an effects-laden patch stored there, making noise every time it powers up. After that, it generally goes dirty, clean, hi gain, effects (modulation, chorus, etc). Rinse and repeat with lots of variations, but I had to do that to make it usable live.

Unfortunately, it means that my "clean" patch sounds completely different than my "dirty" channel- EQ, effects, amp modelers, cabinet emulation- it's all set completely differently from patch to patch. Why? Because I've had to tweak the cleans for some Sunday service or tweak the dirt patch for some scratch recording. Over time, I've ended up with some nice tones, but the whole package lacks consistency.

Where the M series succeeds is that they abandon this idea of 24 simultaneous effects, amp emulation, cab sims, and all that ridiculous nonsense. Instead, they give you the advantage of 3 super stompboxes (step on it to turn it on, step on it to turn it off) plus the nifty advantage of 3 more that automatically turn off the other. Want to switch from overdrive to distortion? No need to tap dance, just hit the distortion and the OD shuts off. Now put those 3 (or 6) pedals in a magical box that lets you put ANY pedal in any of those slots.

I honestly can't wait to pick it up myself. My pedal board's back row is a flanger, 2 EQs (one cutting mids for acoustic and br00tz, the other boosting mids for lo fi), volume pedal, Small Clone, and Echo Park. This pedal can replace all of that, and add everything that I've been GASing for but couldn't figure out room on my board. I've wanted a reverb- M9 has it. I wanted a good phaser- M9 has it. I want a step filter- M9. Envelope filter- M9. Looper- M9.

Additionally, if I need a pedal that I don't want to buy in order to get a sound I don't normally use, the M9 can handle that, too. It can give me a pretty convincing Mesa tone (or so Crxsh's video seems to indicate), and it should be able to handle fuzz decently (my Big Muff is broken). Heck, if I want to add a second compressor to my board with a different setting, the M9 should be able to accommodate.

In short, instead of attempting to capture an entire tone in one setting, the M series presents itself as a magical series of stompboxes to go right along with your other stompboxes. Because of this, and because they follow through on their marketing hype, they succeed.

Archived