Home recordalizers: what's the difference between...

english_bob

• Members

"Studio monitors" and regular hi-fi speakers?

If I had to guess, I'd say that studio monitors would probably have a flatter, more "un-flattering" response than hi-fi speakers, and probably beefier drivers to put up with rough home recordings rather than the compressed, mixed, mastered and generally professional sound you'd expect to hear on your LPs, CDs etc.

• Members
"Studio monitors" and regular hi-fi speakers?

If I had to guess, I'd say that studio monitors would probably have a flatter, more "un-flattering" response than hi-fi speakers.

I think that's the general idea, but to be honest top hi-fi speakers should be fairly neutral too.

...actually that's the word 'neutral' ..... as in they put out exactly what you put in without unnaturally boosting the bass or treble like crappy speakers do in an attempt your crappy stereo sound better. :lol:

• Members
Did you know there is another guy on this forum named English Bob? He reviewed a schematic I made up.. good guy.

I was not aware of that dude.

philip-seymour-hoffman-biglebowski-4.jpg

...new {censored} has come to light.

It definitely wasn't me. My opinion on your schematics wouldn't be worth a damn, I know nothing about electronics.

• Members

Yes, studio monitors should be uncolored... whether they actually all are or not I'm not sure. I have a set of Edirol's that sound great and really let me hear everything. Their sound is so strong that it sometimes makes me think the bass is boosted a little, but I think it's just because the seperation between sounds is so clear that I can focus on the bass more than I can in the car or on my home stereo. Also, as you mentioned, in the studio the sound is raw and uncompressed much of the time, so it sometimes sounds strong because of that too.

• Members

Good timing, I've just been trying out different monitors and made a big scary purchase on some good monitors this very week.

The flatness thing is one element, a lot of speakers, as well as headphones, still hype the bass and treble. Having said all this the most popular studio monitors you'll see in many many studios are NS10s, which were actually designed originally as hifi speakers, and look like this:

monitorsns10.jpg

They're known for being 'unforgiving', so they don't necessarily sound nice, but they show all the glitches and faults well. People say if you can make a track sound good on those it will soudn good anywhere.

I guess there are a number of other differences, most of the time 'studio monitors' refers to near-field monitors, designed to be listened relatively closely to, whereas a home hifi is generally designed to fill a room.

• Members

hi fi speakers are normally made to "sound awesome". or what the majority of peopel consider to be "awesome sound"

monitors are made to sound acurate with a straight-line frequency range. or if not, then the curve is with a purpose.

after that "good sound" is purely subjective. I prefer monitors for casual listening because I get a kick out of texture rather than punch.

Archived