Kurzweil PC3X vs. Roland RD700GX [ROMs]

GigMan

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I should point out that when I say I figured it out, what actually happened is that I posted in the Kurz forum at Sonikmatter, and one of the Kurz developers replied within the hour with a long post detailing exactly what I was doing incorrectly and how things really work.

Excellent support.

That is really cool...

BTW, DP - where'd you acquire your PC3X and what'd they rap you for it (how much)?

• Members
Just under $3K from Musician's Friend. They're barely in the next state, so I tend to get stuff overnight from them. I usually use Nova or Sweetwater, but the GAS was kinda brutal this time...
:)

aye - and what kind of case did you get for it?

• Members

Case? I'm NoGigsMan! :D

p.s. It's worth downloading the manual from the Kurzweil site. Lots of stuff to dig your teeth into, there. Might give you an idea if it's the sort of workflow you can dig. I'm pretty happy now - took me a while to understand the way it operates. I think it's quite logical, actually.

• Members
Case? I'm NoGigsMan!
:D

p.s. It's worth downloading the manual from the Kurzweil site. Lots of stuff to dig your teeth into, there. Might give you an idea if it's the sort of workflow you can dig. I'm pretty happy now - took me a while to understand the way it operates. I think it's quite logical, actually.

Ha - it would never occur to me to buy a keyboard w/out a case... funny, how each/all of us are wrapped up in our own little worlds... :p

Manuals are fine - "work flow" is wonderful... but what I need is a 'board that feels good to the fingers, has great sounds and doesn't take me 10 minutes to navigate while the band and (more importantly) the bride+groom wait impatiently for me to pick the right sound I need, going from song-to-song on the bandstand... :facepalm::bor::lol:

• Members

Ah. You'll like it then - it has this thing called "Quick Access", which lets you set up banks, each of which can contain up to ten programs/setups. So, you could have Quick Access banks called "Set One", "Set Two" etc., each of which is preconfigured for songs in your sets. Skim to the Quick Access section of the manual.

• Members

Tell me about the PC3x a little more - it has piqued my interest because I can get one brand new for about US$2200 at the moment.

I'm not a player as much as a programmer / tweaker. That said I've been looking for a ROMpler to give me bread and butter pianos / EP's / guitars / orchestral stuff. Obviously I'm wanting a tweakers machine also.

How is the PC3x to program, and how twisted can this board get?

• Members

Ah. You'll like it then - it has this thing called "Quick Access", which lets you set up banks, each of which can contain up to ten programs/setups. So, you could have Quick Access banks called "Set One", "Set Two" etc., each of which is preconfigured for songs in your sets. Skim to the Quick Access section of the manual.

I play in band that doesn't do set lists, leader calls the tunes on the fly - I never know what's coming next...

Though I suppose I could put my favorite patches into the "Quick Access" bank - I think the S90ES has a similar arrangement... ?

• Members

Tell me about the PC3x a little more - it has piqued my interest because I can get one brand new for about US$2200 at the moment.

I'm not a player as much as a programmer / tweaker. That said I've been looking for a ROMpler to give me bread and butter pianos / EP's / guitars / orchestral stuff. Obviously I'm wanting a tweakers machine also.

How is the PC3x to program, and how twisted can this board get?

Download the manual. I'm not being flippant - really - it'd just be more enlightening than anything I'm going to be able to waffle on about!

• Members

I play in band that doesn't do set lists, leader calls the tunes on the fly - I never know what's coming next...

Though I suppose I could put my favorite patches into the "Quick Access" bank - I think the S90ES has a similar arrangement... ?

I also play gigs like this. The Kurz is quite easy to navigate w/o using quick access too. It has dedicated category buttons within each bank for Piano 1, Piano 2, E. Piano 1, E Piano 2, Pop Keys, Clav, Organ, Brass, Strings, Voices, Synths, Pads, Guitar, Bass, Drums, and Percussion. It's pretty easy and painless to find bread and butter sounds on the unit even before you set it up.

Archived