Suggestions for customizing a pickguard

• Members

After years of searching, I finally found someone selling a spare pickguard for my Fender USA S-3 Bullet. It's my first guitar, bought when I was 13. I love this guitar, and I'll never sell it. But I've always wanted a spare pickguard so I could swap it out with my original intact.

Question is, what are some suggestions for fun things to do with the spare?

Enamel?

Embossing?

Just use it as a template and get a custom made pickguard in anodized gold like the Squier Duo Sonics?

Treat it with something?

What would be fun and look good?

!BjS9RJw!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKi8EslKtufkhBLS9Two

930793735_747e8e3654_b.jpg

• Members
Def. try to make a template of it before you do anything else. Then you can have any custom pickguard you ever dreamt of
:thu:

yeah, do this for sure... I know it's a bit boring but tortoise or black would be nice. )

• Members

i like what i did to my jazz bass - i printed a picture i found (its a painting called The Mud Bath by David Bomberg) onto watercolour paper, this is thick paper that won't curl up when it gets wet, it has a nice texture too.

luckily a jazz bass pickguard fits on a piece of A4 paper, you'd have to find an A3 printer for anything bigger.

i glued the paper onto the pickguard using PVA glue - the white glue you get in school - put a few books on top to weigh it down and left it to dry. the edges can be trimmed with a scalpel and another layer of PVA painted on top - it dries clear and protects the paper somewhat.

as you can see its been worn away where my thumb rests on the pickup, but its been on for ten years. it'll just peel off if i wanted with no damage to the plastic, the glue has corroded the tops of the screws a little though.

dxeaur.jpg

:thu: for the bullet by the way, i'm currently doing up one myself, an '87 korean squier, and i'm halfway to a working guitar after a year :lol:

i got given the body, neck and bridge free and i've partially refretted it, found a pickguard on ebay (which took forever but it came loaded) and some lovely guys here, namely melx and heartfeltdawn, gave me the tone knob and switch tip. another year and i might have a decent guitar :lol:

14wzkew.jpg

• Members
for the bullet by the way, i'm currently doing up one myself, an '87 korean squier, and i'm halfway to a working guitar after a year
:lol:
i got given the body, neck and bridge free and i've partially refretted it, found a pickguard on ebay (which took forever but it came loaded) and some lovely guys here, namely melx and heartfeltdawn, gave me the tone knob and switch tip. another year and i might have a decent guitar
:lol:

14wzkew.jpg

I'm a maple neck type a guy with strat-style bodies, but that looks really great. All your hard work should really pay off, and you'll have a very unique guitar. :cool:

• Members
That's a really cool technique! Well done
And great food for thought.

I'm a maple neck type a guy with strat-style bodies, but that looks really great. All your hard work should really pay off, and you'll have a very unique guitar.
:cool:

thanks, i prefer maple necks on guitars but it was a freebie so... :idk:

Archived