Anyone know of any drum plugins?

Bill Cosby

• Members

$$$

Seriously?

For $350 you get Superior. The mics and outboard gear used to make these samples probably cost more than any house you'll ever own!

Meticulously recorded'd, treated, and organized. Amazing features to tweak and tailor the sounds to your liking. A really great "humanize" feature that works well, and keeps midi drums from sounding like a robot is playing.

The Toontrack stuff is some of the most authentic sounding drum sample libraries I've ever heard. I really like the Steven Slate stuff, but that's better for layering, to add more smack and punch.

As a standalone drum library, EX Drummer and Superior are the best, and are dirt cheap.

NS Kit used to be free, but it's not anymore. But compared to Superior, it's not worthy paying for.

If you're serious about getting down song ideas, selling a few dumb overdrive pedals to get something like Superior is well worth it.

• Members

There's not much out there that's useable for free - most of them aren't much easier than programming the drums yourself on the piano roll in your DAW.

There's iDrum and the new Tattoo from audio damage - they cost, but are relatively inexpensive, but the grid's look pretty simple to me and I'm not sure if they are all that easy to program.

• Members

Seriously?

For $350 you get Superior. The mics and outboard gear used to make these samples probably cost more than any house you'll ever own!

Meticulously recorded'd, treated, and organized. Amazing features to tweak and tailor the sounds to your liking. A really great "humanize" feature that works well, and keeps midi drums from sounding like a robot is playing.

The Toontrack stuff is some of the most authentic sounding drum sample libraries I've ever heard. I really like the Steven Slate stuff, but that's better for layering, to add more smack and punch.

As a standalone drum library, EX Drummer and Superior are the best, and are dirt cheap.

NS Kit used to be free, but it's not anymore. But compared to Superior, it's not worthy paying for.

If you're serious about getting down song ideas, selling a few dumb overdrive pedals to get something like Superior is well worth it.

I wasn't complaining. I have EZdrummer, and like 4 of the expansion packs. The OP just said he would prefer something that was free, which rules out EZ and Superior Drummer.

What DAW program are you running?

Most DAW programs these days include at least a "lite" version of a virtual drum instrument; or more than one... plus, just about any "General MIDI" or general purpose VI is going to have drum samples in it that you can trigger via a MIDI controller, or "draw" the patterns in via the grid mode on your DAW...

• Members

I think the problem that you're going to run into is that the cheap or free drum machine plugins sound like toys, and the higher end ones are expensive with a steep learning curve. Unless you program drum vsti's everyday or have a big midi drum library that will cover all of your styles, you're going to get pretty frustrated.

The answer for me is/was Rayzoon Jamstix. Inexpensive, killer drum sounds, easy as pie to get up and running with, and fun to work with. If you play guitar, that's where you really want to focus but Jamstix gives you the drum backings you want and need. My 2 cents worth. ;)

Archived