new to this forum...a couple questions?

need more gain

• Members

I am usually on the amps forum but there is a lot of hate and i figured out that amps will not do what i need so i turn to pedals. I have been checkin this forum and you guys are pollite and informative so i have a couple questions. I have a vox ac4tv10 and want to know what a good pedal is for distortion. i play van halen, metallica, scorpions, whitesnake and so on. i use a strat with humbucks. I hate fuzz. i like powerful crisp clear distortion. I know clear and distortion do not go together but i like to hear my notes and chords. I have been lookin at some pedals, but damn there is a ton of them. I tryed a zvex box of metal-close but way to fuzzy. So any help is very thankfull.:wave:

• Members

welcome from teh Maps.

First off. I'd say your amp is completely the wrong amp for that type of music.

Second. Isn't it dimed on the 1/4 switch enough gain?

Third. Miaudio crunch box. Basically a tigher gained JCM800

And you say you hate fuzz. This is definately not the place to hang around to often then. B/c this forum loves three things pedal wise. Fuzz, Reverb, and delay.

• Members

Yea, definitely check into a different style amp... if you want to keep it small I bet the egnator rebel would do a better job of what you're after.

You need a pedal that bridges the gap between straight distortion and clear overdrive. An OCD cranked up could do what you want I think... the Crunchbox is also a great choice.

Maybe a Rat? Freakshow Effects Brown Rabbit?

• Members

well i do not totally hate fuzz, and that is why i figure pedals are better cause i can switch up my sound from blues to hardrock/metal to early fuzz type grind. but my heart is in the supper tight modded marshall area. the vox is a killer little amp but it needs more gain even dimmed at 4 watts. i also have a fender vibro champ new in box that i have not opened yet. still thinkin about returning cause i found out its like a digital modeler. i want pure tube tone then i will add what is needed. thanks fellas.

• Members

Yea, definitely check into a different style amp... if you want to keep it small I bet the egnator rebel would do a better job of what you're after.

You need a pedal that bridges the gap between straight distortion and clear overdrive. An OCD cranked up could do what you want I think... the Crunchbox is also a great choice.

Maybe a Rat? Freakshow Effects Brown Rabbit?

I tried the ocd and it was lacking to me. just not enough oommpphhh. i was lookin into goin with a small fender tube amp to get more into the realm. what are you guys using?

• Members
I am usually on the amps forum but there is a lot of hate and i figured out that amps will not do what i need so i turn to pedals. I have been checkin this forum and you guys are pollite and informative so i have a couple questions. I have a vox ac4tv10 and want to know what a good pedal is for distortion. i play van halen, metallica, scorpions, whitesnake and so on. i use a strat with humbucks. I hate fuzz. i like powerful crisp clear distortion. I know clear and distortion do not go together but i like to hear my notes and chords. I have been lookin at some pedals, but damn there is a ton of them. I tryed a zvex box of metal-close but way to fuzzy. So any help is very thankfull.
:wave:

I must say the amp does seem a bit of an odd choice, you'd probably be better off with a little Marshall or something...

...anyway for a distortion I'd say a 'metal muff' would be exactly what you are looking for... or a turbo rat is really 'clear' sounding even when cranked... like you say though there is too much choice, I suggest deciding how much you want to spend first.

• Members

I must say the amp does seem a bit of an odd choice, you'd probably be better off with a little Marshall or something...

...anyway for a distortion I'd say a 'metal muff' would be exactly what you are looking for... or a turbo rat is really 'clear' sounding even when cranked... like you say though there is too much choice, I suggest deciding how much you want to spend first.

price is no object....i need to get the sound out of my head. i will look into the mi audio crunch box. i am lookin at the marshall class5 or whatever they call it. maybe better for pedals?

• Members

Hmm... the odds are against you when it comes to getting any sort of oomph out of an open back 10" speaker. I'd look for something with at least 15 watts, and a 12" speaker... the most oomph I've ever heard come from a small combo (astounding really) was from a Nolatone CL15, it's a 15 watt EL84 amp based off of an AC15. I'm fairly sure the oomph came from cranking it into the combo's 12" Alnico Blue though.

• Members

Hmm... the odds are against you when it comes to getting any sort of oomph out of an open back 10" speaker. I'd look for something with at least 15 watts, and a 12" speaker... the most oomph I've ever heard come from a small combo (astounding really) was from a Nolatone CL15, it's a 15 watt EL84 amp based off of an AC15. I'm fairly sure the oomph came from cranking it into the combo's 12" Alnico Blue though.

this also. 10'' will give a little to no oomph.

• Members

If moneys no object get the Marshall class5(was going to be my suggestion) and get the head/vox(the 12" speaker sounds much better)

Run them both.Get a Rangemaster for the vox. Pro valve for the marshall.

Change my mind still do the vox thing but scrap the Marshall get this instead.It has enough gian to do the bands you listed with out pedals.

• Members

otay, i see now. that makes good sense. then i should go the typical fender deluxeish route. my old amp was a peavey 6505 combo which was way way way to loud and buzzy sounding so a little package and pedals is new to me sorry. i am not in a band any more so thats why i am down sizing.

• Members

I don't wanna hijack this thread, but mention of the CL15 really makes me want to post this... I WANT a CL30 2x12 so badly (in this color combo too...)

[YOUTUBE]wDQBmFw2-jk[/YOUTUBE]

I know this amp isn't what the OP is looking for, but this video and this playing makes me :love::love:

Though I do think this amp with a nice Marshall style OD (crunchbox, DLS, or any of the aforementioned pedals) could get some AMAZING classic rock tones.

• Members

I know this amp isn't what the OP is looking for, but this video and this playing makes me
:love:
:love:

Though I do think this amp with a nice Marshall style OD (crunchbox, DLS, or any of the aforementioned pedals) could get some AMAZING classic rock tones.

man that is a great amp. great clean!

• Members

Eventually you should get some kind of closed back one or two 12 inch speaker cab. A closed back cab gives a much tighter bass response. That's why all the metal guys use them.

As far as distortion pedals go, I've been into one of these lately. Very smooth gain:

maxondist.jpg

• Members

Welcome to HCFX :wave:

Yiu should really check some other amps if you only play the brutalz. Pedals can get you there occasionally but if it's your main sound you should check out a Mesa :-).

If you really want a pedal check out the Wampler plextortion or the new Emma pysoydiwut or whatever it's called

Archived