Advice for my next synth?

• Members

So I'm deciding to get rid of a few things and found I would have a little bit of money to spend on some equipment. Normally I'd just get some more effects pedals :love:, but I figured if I sold my Ion I'd have close to $1000 and a new keyboard might be a better and more fun plan. Now the question is, if I do get a new synth, what the hell do I get?

So, where do I start? First, it must have a lot of knobs, without it, I get nothing done really and end up just using presets :mad: (as I learned after buying the Korg Poly-800). Second, when I bought the Ion I thought I would use tons of presets which it was great for, but I'm learning now that I've maybe saved one preset when I first got it, and haven't saved any since...so presets aren't a huge deal like before.

I really can't think at the moment what else I'm looking for. So can anyone help me out on this one please?

Thanks

• Members

I was going to say keep your Ion and get a good fx box for it, BUT:

board.jpg

:lol:

Really - for $1K, I don't think you'll get something better than the Ion - just something different.

Some of the obvious ones are from Access, Clavia, Waldorf, etc.

BTW: I like your setup. :thu:

• Members

Really - for $1K, I don't think you'll get something
better
than the Ion - just something
different

agreed. if that's all you want, there's the usual suspects to pursue: Yamaha AN1x, Roland JP8000, Korg MS2k/Radias/R3, Access Virus, Clavia Nord Lead, etc...

• Members

If you can't swing a Radias, the MS2000 is a knob lovers keyboard that you can occasionally find used at a bargain price. I prefer the assignable knobs of the R3 and I use the editor/librarian software to build patches, plus it's got the same basic synth engine structure as the Radias, with 8 poly and 2 timbres. Another knob lovers keyboard is the Roland SH-201 and it has a VSTi interface for good DAW integration and patch building. The SH-201 has the best layout of any VA synth.

• Members

If you can't swing a Radias, the MS2000 is a knob lovers keyboard that you can occasionally find used at a bargain price. I prefer the assignable knobs of the R3 and I use the editor/librarian software to build patches, plus it's got the same basic synth engine structure as the Radias, with 8 poly and 2 timbres. Another knob lovers keyboard is the Roland SH-201 and it has a VSTi interface for good DAW integration and patch building. The SH-201 has the best layout of any VA synth.

I thought the MS2000 was very similar to the Ion? At least that's what I heard when I was deciding between the two, and decided to go with the Ion. And the MS2000 is cheap enough that I wouldn't have to sell my Ion which might be a possibility.

• Members

If you really want classic, inexpensive, and just chock full o' knobs, go find youself a used DX-7. You'll be awestruck with the virtual sea of knobs on that thing!

(Disclaimer: You may have to press a few buttons to actually get to each knob.)

:poke:

• Members

What's your budget if you keep the Ion. I'll bet it's enough to get something fairly decent, keep the Ion, and end up with 2 synths. :idea:

Unless you really don't like the Ion for some reason, I'd suggest keeping it.

• Members

Well, if I don't keep the Ion, it'd be around $500. Which is why I was thinking of possibly getting the MS2000 and having two synths like you said, but I don't know if it would be better just to sell the Ion, or get something else completely. I could also save up more in addition to selling the Ion. Summer is approaching, so a summer job should bring in a decent amount of money, I hope. In that case I could save up more and get something closer to $1500-$2000, I just don't know if it's worth it.

• Members

There's a lot of stuff you could get for $500.

Korg - microkorg, ms2000/2000rack, R3, electribes, etc.

Access - Virus A or B (maybe) desktop

Clavia - Nord Lead 2 or NL2 rack

Novation - KS4/5, Xiosynth, X-station

Waldorf - micro-Q (not up on the other prices, but I think there's some at $500 or less).

DSI - mono evolver

Yamaha - AN1X, AN200, DX200 and so on.

If you're considering stuff besides VA's, there's some analogs you can get for that price.

There's also a whole lot of rompler rack units and samplers you could get for that amount.

What are you thinking of in the $1500 - 2000 range?

• Members

A used Roland V-Synth (the first one not the new one) might give you some diversity and would be within your budget.

Totally! The V-Synth is by far the best synth you can get for under $1k. Stupidly underrated IMO. Sounds much better than a Radias too.

• Members

I'm not looking for anything specific key wise. The 49 keyboard right now has been nice. I also have used a 76 key and it seems to big, so I'd rather have something closer to 49. Do you mean new as in condition or new as in year released? Doesn't matter either way I guess...No matter what I buy, I'll probably buy used. I've had better luck with the Ion than the Poly-800, but I don't think that's really a good comparison, especially since the Poly was my first synth.

Everyone's made some great suggestions, and given your criteria, the only things that I didn't see that I think are worth mentioning are the Roland Alpha Juno series (they came in 49 and 61 key versions (the Alpha Juno 1 and Alpha Juno 2, respectively - and though they didn't have any knobs (well, ok, just one big one) if you get a PG300 programmer to go with it you have a TON of control over a huge amount of parameters, with sliders taking the place of knobs) and the Ensoniq ESQ1...I would definitely second everyone else's suggestions of the Yamaha AN1X, the Korg MS2000 and the newer Roland synths like the SH-201 and JP8000.

• Members

A used Roland V-Synth (the first one not the new one) might give you some diversity and would be within your budget.

+1 Not as many knobs as many others, but definately an AMAZING Synth, too much synth for me, I sold mine to focus on learning synthesis on my Roland SH-201. I will get another one, once I complete the course....:idea:

It also has touch screen, great for editing......

• Members

Another thing to add, is I might want something that relies less on lcd screen like the Ion. Don't get me wrong, it definitely has it's benefits, but I think it ends up getting in the way, as I spend too much time looking at the screen, rather than really listening for what I want. I don't know if that explains it well, but I'd rather get another synth with less focus on a screen.

Also, the synth doesn't have to be virtual analog modeling either, it could be analog too. I'm still trying to decide how much polyphonic I rely on, and if a monophonic might be considered. I am looking for good pad sounds, but thinking about it, most pad sounds I've used so far, aren't initially pads, but just have lots of effects on them.

I'm kind of thinking of something more simple than the Ion. I don't need presets really, and I'd rather have something that I could just turn on and immediately turn the knobs to get the sound I want and go from there.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far, I'm still going through them all and seeing which ones I like best.

• Members

Alright, I've narrowed it down a little. I decided to spend less money instead of spending close to 1000. The two choices I'm considering are, selling my Ion and getting a Korg MS2000 or keeping the Ion for a little longer and just getting a cheaper synth, the Xiosynth. The Xiosynth I know very little about besides some youtube videos and reading through threads, whereas the Korg was recommended to me when I bought the Ion based on what I told everyone I'd be doing with it. What I'd be playing I guess would be considered, ambient or idm. So any advice on which one I should go with?

• Members

Alright, I've narrowed it down a little. I decided to spend less money instead of spending close to 1000. The two choices I'm considering are, selling my Ion and getting a Korg MS2000 or keeping the Ion for a little longer and just getting a cheaper synth, the Xiosynth. The Xiosynth I know very little about besides some youtube videos and reading through threads, whereas the Korg was recommended to me when I bought the Ion based on what I told everyone I'd be doing with it. What I'd be playing I guess would be considered, ambient or idm. So any advice on which one I should go with?

Neither!!! You'll be disappointed :cop: :arg: :arg:

I owned a Korg MS2000 and was :mad: at it, such a poorly designed and sounding instrument. Not sure why the Xiosynth is even a contender, thought you needed knobs.

Keep the ION and get the new Roland SH201, you'll be much happier. Check out the Roland site for more info on their synths...

Archived