Advice for my next synth?

• Members

Damn, back to square one. I was thinking the Xiosynth cause it's cheap and simple, which would be fun just for messing around, and I could sell it later, and it alows me to not sell the Ion. I thought a lot of people liked the Korg MS2000. I wish I could try it out somewhere near. Oh well, I'll have to give it more thought. I'm thinking of leading more towards something analog rather than VA.

• Members
Alright, I've narrowed it down a little. I decided to spend less money instead of spending close to 1000. The two choices I'm considering are, selling my Ion and getting a Korg MS2000 or keeping the Ion for a little longer and just getting a cheaper synth, the Xiosynth. The Xiosynth I know very little about besides some youtube videos and reading through threads, whereas the Korg was recommended to me when I bought the Ion based on what I told everyone I'd be doing with it. What I'd be playing I guess would be considered, ambient or idm. So any advice on which one I should go with?

You do know the MS2000 can only play 4 notes? That'll limit you even more than the Ion. Didn't care for the MS2000 myself....

If you don't like having to use the LCD on the Ion, there isn't really a VA out there that'll be much better.

Unless you've a good reason to ditch the Ion I wouldn't, at best you'll end up wih something different that's maybe more to your taste.

Sounds like you really want analogue - that way lies madness... :)

• Members

Damn, back to square one. I was thinking the Xiosynth cause it's cheap and simple, which would be fun just for messing around, and I could sell it later, and it alows me to not sell the Ion. I thought a lot of people liked the Korg MS2000. I wish I could try it out somewhere near. Oh well, I'll have to give it more thought. I'm thinking of leading more towards something analog rather than VA.

What about a Juno 60? I've seen them sell for 500 on ebay before.

• Members
You do know the MS2000 can only play 4 notes? That'll limit you even more than the Ion. Didn't care for the MS2000 myself....

If you don't like having to use the LCD on the Ion, there isn't really a VA out there that'll be much better.

Unless you've a good reason to ditch the Ion I wouldn't, at best you'll end up wih something different that's
maybe
more to your taste.

Sounds like you really want analogue - that way lies madness...
:)

Yeah, I am kind of wanting an analog, but it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it works for me. And so far, not many VA synths that I've been looking at are appealing to me right now.

I don't think that anything will limit me really, at least not technical wise (except maybe monophonic, which I'm sort of still trying to decide). Nothing out of my Ion is directly out of the synth and into a song, everything is effected before recording, so there's nothing I need specifically. It's just that the initial sound out of the Ion that gets effected, I've not been too happy with lately. The Ion itself has a specific "feel" to it, and I'd rather get something different. And getting that initial sound to sound right, has been troubling lately, where it's leading me to become uninspired when I finally get in there and make the sounds I want. This is why I really want something new.

Like you said, I may not get anything better synth wise, but I need something I can work with better.

Archived