Recommend me some fuzz pedals

eddidaz

• Members

I've been using an American Big Muff Pi for a while now and it's just too much, I want to scale back my fuzz a little for a more bluesy Hendrix-style fuzz for use with a strat (and a wah).

The Fuzz Face would be an obvious choice, but I've been looking at the MXR Classic 108. How is this pedal? What else should I consider?

• Members

I've been using an American Big Muff Pi for a while now and it's just too much, I want to scale back my fuzz a little for a more bluesy Hendrix-style fuzz for use with a strat (and a wah).

The Fuzz Face would be an obvious choice, but I've been looking at the MXR Classic 108. How is this pedal? What else should I consider?

hendrix version fuzz which is basically same thing both have bc108 chip i believe in them which is good enough for analogman to use in his sunface.

• Members

Wow, I just started a similar thread just yesterday. I'm on the lookout for a tamer Muff pedal too, or something fuzzy but not too over the top.

Check it out, I got some good suggestions here:

Great thread! I tried searching but I can't seem to get search results for any search terms I type. Is it borked?

• Members

Great thread! I tried searching but I can't seem to get search results for any search terms I type. Is it borked?

Yeah, the search function on this forum is lousy. I usually use google to search the forum, I get better results that way.

By the way, I have a Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face too, just got it a few weeks ago. As far as I know this pedal is basically the same as the MXR, but in a smaller package. I tested the MXR at the same time when I bought it, and noticed the Hendrix FF has a slightly better tone. Can't say exactly what it is, but I liked it more so I got it.

It nails the Hendrix tone, and is an awesome pedal in general. I've been using it all the time, for a light fuzzy vintage overdrive with the guitar volume down, and for warm, thick fuzz with the guitar volume cranked.

I've found that the Big Muff stacks very nicely with the Fuzz Face, and after playing around with volume levels, I can tame the muff quite a bit.

• Members

The Fuzz Face sounds good, but I was attracted by the modernness of the MXR. I'll have to test them out to see if they sound any different to me, because they're supposed to be pretty similar.

Anyone have a Fuzz Factory? Those things are ridiculously versatile and look like a lot of fun, but I can imagine getting a specific tone you want could become a pain in the ass. A bit gimmicky maybe.

• Members

The Fuzz Face sounds good, but I was attracted by the modernness of the MXR. I'll have to test them out to see if they sound any different to me, because they're supposed to be pretty similar.

Anyone have a Fuzz Factory? Those things are ridiculously versatile and look like a lot of fun, but I can imagine getting a specific tone you want could become a pain in the ass. A bit gimmicky maybe.

I was actually planning on buying the MXR for the same reasons, but when I tried them both at the store, I liked the Fuzz Face. Either one is good, because the difference was very small. The MXR sounded very good too.

Anyways, let us know what you get. Because it seems like I'm looking for something similar too.

• Members

They're a bit spencive, but I was dicking around with my bandmate's Fulltone 70 yesterday after practice, and fuzz face type fuzz + Tele neck pickup with tone rolled back is pure sex. And the OD with the volume rolled back is so nice.

i believe word on street is they are discontinuing the fulltone 70 pedal, but possibly making limited run of the 69 i think.

• Members

For $35 I think the Dano Cool Fuzz is worth checking out. I'm not a huge fuzz fan but I've enjoyed mine.

I have one too and would recommend it. It likes single coils well and is very smooth. I'm sure it'd do what eddidaz is after and it costs 1/3 of the price of practically everything else (or 1/5 the price of a fuzz factory).

Archived