The BEST pedal for smooth, liquid leads?

ben_allison

• Members

Apparently, I'm looking for a fuzz... but fuzzes often sound grainy and "fizzy" to me.

I want a totally smooooooth, non-grainy pedal, for lead work. I want to good touch response (more and more I'm tending to play with the gain cooking, and adjusting volume/intensity with my attack). Good note definition. Loads of sustain.

I tried the BB Preamp a while ago... it seemed pretty good. Anything option might be boosting my Riot, and putting a compressor after.

But new pedals are more fun.

• Members

The Flying Tomato is very smooth and flutey. It totally meets the criteria you're looking for.

I've been thinking "Meh, I don't think I want a fuzz," but then I keep thinking about the Flying Tomato for some reason.

I know you used it a bunch on your EP, and I likes the tones... maybe it's worth a shot! Thanks brah.

Do you stack it with the Timmy, or just run it straight?

• Members

Tomato for leads yes

Chords no

I learned the hard way

Agreed. I'll probably switch it out to a RAT soon because it's just not tight or chunky enough for rhythm. But it sounds really nice on leads, very touch sensitive, cleans up beautifully from the volume control.

• Members

Agreed. I'll probably switch it out to a RAT soon because it's just not tight or chunky enough for rhythm. But it sounds really nice on leads, very touch sensitive, cleans up beautifully from the volume control.

I dunno about the Rat, {censored} always sounds to me like the first Deftones album

Id get a muff for what Allison wants, even if it lacks mids he can dime the tone knob

Live screeching treble always wins

• Members

Id get a muff for what Allison wants, even if it lacks mids he can dime the tone knob

That's the thing... Gilmour's lead tone is pretty ideal, and he uses Muffs. But he's stacking them with a Tube Driver, and sculpting the {censored} out of them with a GE7.

So I've thought all along that a Top Fuel, or now the Pig Mine, might be ideal, since it's a Muff, Gilmourified.

• Members
:lol:
Yeah, I have a Rat. It's ok for some stuff I guess. Just too grainy for me, most of the time.

That's the thing... Gilmour's lead tone is pretty ideal, and he uses Muffs. But he's stacking them with a Tube Driver, and sculpting the {censored} out of them with a GE7.

So I've thought all along that a Top Fuel, or now the Pig Mine, might be ideal, since it's a Muff, Gilmourified.

Gilmour used a fuzz face till like 1975. That said, the leads you're probably thinking of are from The Wall.

• Members

Probably get flamed for this but I still don't think there is a better tool for this then the good old fashioned Ts-808 or Ts-10.
Even better, two of them.
I think the same company that makes the route 66 (visual sound?) makes pedal called the double trouble which is two of them chained together.

Archived