Moog Guitar

Kaux

• Members

Too bad the synthesizer has become a forgotten and neglected instrument, an instrument that can create any sound imaginable...

You can get any sound imaginable by stacking sines if you want, too. The issue with keyboard instruments in general (and that's what I play) is the interface--how to pull all those sounds out expressively. The guitar allows the player to touch the sounding element and that gives a wonderful immediacy to expressive playing. Keys can do many things far better than guitar, but self-expression in that sort of tactile sense isn't one of them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a guitarist I have to wonder why that's cool. On paper it reads like extracting the most annoying aspect of a guitar's sound and making it the controllable focus.

I'm not just completely downing the thing, it's just a very puzzling idea to come out of Moog and as questionable as the Freqbox. To the hype level of the musicians in the video; if someone invited you to Moog with the intent of showing you the new secret thing, I don't think it would matter if they showed you a Moog foam cup - you'd still be saying, "Omg, this changes everything!".

I think it largley depends on the type of music you play...as a guitarist for 25 years I could care less about it....it looks ok i guess....but the primary thing they seem to push in the videos is the sustain...there are many cheaper ways of getting sustain....sure its not endless like the moog guitar....but unless your doing ambient music with one note sustaining for eons - who cares...the other tones I heard could also be had for much cheaper ......dunno ....for the price it just does not match the excitement for me ....but then again I play jazz and other more traditionalist types of music rather then making my guitar sound like anything but a guitar.

• Members
As a guitarist I have to wonder why that's cool. On paper it reads like extracting the most annoying aspect of a guitar's sound and making it the controllable focus.

Harmonics are the most annoying aspect of a guitar's sound? :freak:

• Members

Fareed Haque is a relatively traditional (jazz, classical) guitarist, which makes his little Moog guitar demo all that more interesting - like sustaining a note with one finger and playing other non-sustained notes around that sustained note.

The sustain tech also appears to work beautifully with slide guitar techniques.

Areas of improvement for the Moog guitar though, include being able to use a wide variety of strings, and a wider selection of body and neck styles/shapes. Also, a wider selection of finishes that are not curly maple (my least favorite guitar finish).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
an instrument that can create any sound imaginable,

-Elhardt

"The synthesizer. The forgotten instrument."

If I can have a conversation with a synth in ANY language of my choosing, then I will belive your comment. :rolleyes:

Synths can only make sounds that their controls allow them to. They can't do what a larynx and voicebox can do! :poke:

• Members
If I can have a conversation with a synth in ANY language of my choosing, then I will belive your comment.
:rolleyes:

Synths can only make sounds that their controls allow them to. They can't do what a larynx and voicebox can do! :poke:

i do hope you're not expecting a reply from him

• Members
Moog is really jerking people around. First people believed the Moog guitar was real, then it was admitted it was a fake April Fools type hoax. Now it's real again? Don't know what to believe anymore.

Too bad the synthesizer has become a forgotten and neglected instrument, an instrument that can create any sound imaginable, yet there are people getting all hyped up about the billionth model of primitive folk instrument, the guitar. I don't get it. Forget about the Moog guitar or any guitar and look into something called the synthesizer.

All Moog is doing is releasing all kinds of diversionary or rehashed products because they can't continue forever on recycled Voyager synth technology no matter how many times they come up with new color schemes, signature models, or new packaging of the same thing.

-Elhardt

"The synthesizer. The forgotten instrument."

Although the delivery is a bit harsh, I agree with the point here. I find myself having to click the sound off when I vist the Moog Website, with that annoying Moog Guitar video..I find the sound of it gets on my nerves, I hear many people say it not realistic for Moog to develop a polyphonic synth because it would be too much $$$ ...this guitar for over $6k does not make much sense then. :confused:

• Members
Although the delivery is a bit harsh, I agree with the point here. I find myself having to click the sound off when I vist the Moog Website, with that annoying Moog Guitar video..I find the sound of it gets on my nerves, I hear many people say it not realistic for Moog to develop a polyphonic synth because it would be too much $$$ ...this guitar for over $6k does not make much sense then.
:confused:

That guitar video does indeed start out with a very unmusical, annoying sound. Yuck...And who woulda thunk Lou Reed would start doing infomercials? :lol:

As for the guitar, it really seems like the kind of move that could ruin a company financially. I hope it's not.

• Members

I bet Moog makes more money off guitarists via the Moogerfooger line than they do off keyboard players. Also, the guitar is actually made by Zion Guitars, using electronics made by Moog. For these reasons, I doubt the Moog guitar will sink their ship.

• Members
I bet Moog makes more money off guitarists via the Moogerfooger line than they do off keyboard players. Also, the guitar is actually made by Zion Guitars, using electronics made by Moog. For these reasons, I doubt the Moog guitar will sink their ship.

Sadly I think you may be right, Moog is becoming more and more a guitar oriented business, Bob's absence has become very evident. :cry:

• Members

Moog is becoming more and more a guitar oriented business...

what? No it isn't. Most of the past two years has been spent building and improving synths. Moog released a new synth this year (Voyager Old School), a new version of the Little Phatty this year, the Little Phatty Stage Edition the year before last, and the first Little Phatty the year before that... what more you want from a company of like 20 people?

• Members

Moog is just good at recognizing a potential market. They saw a potential for repackaging analog synth modules as guitarist-friendly pedals, and voila!

They'd make stuff for drummers too if they ever determined there was a potential market and knew they could make some money off of it.

A Moog Bass would be the shiznit.

• Members

what? No it isn't. Most of the past two years has been spent building and improving synths. Moog released a new synth this year (Voyager Old School), a new version of the Little Phatty this year, the Little Phatty Stage Edition the year before last, and the first Little Phatty the year before that... what more you want from a company of like 20 people?

Agreed. And they tend to design their keyboards to be at least factory upgradable, and user-upgradable in some cases.

• Members
a new version of the Little Phatty this year, the Little Phatty Stage Edition the year before last, and the first Little Phatty the year before that...

huh, so is that 3 different colors :p Its funny how people give a company like Yamaha {censored} about repackaging the Motif line year after year but for Moog its ok. :confused:

• Members
huh, so is that 3 different colors
:p
Its funny how people give a company like Yamaha {censored} about repackaging the Motif line year after year but for Moog its ok.
:confused:

Can you send an old Motif back to Yamaha to be upgraded to the latest one, for $400 or less?

I think even the oldest Voyager can be upgraded to V3.x.

Phatty situation might be a bit different.

Archived