Moog Guitar

Kaux

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Woah! Not only is Moog catering to the mullet crowd, but they've stooped to audiophile BS as well.
:lol:

The strings are part of the excitation mechanics, they probably have a much higher iron content than regular strings. Not an "audiophile" thing at all.

a quote from Amos over at Moogmusic:

...it is an all-analog feedback loop... it's a balanced analog servomotor feedback loop using hundreds of discrete transistors.

The pickups do each have an electromagnetic driver per string, but unlike an

ebow the drive is frequency-dependent as it is getting its signal from the

string and then feeding this vibration back to the string, in phase for

sustain and opposite phase for mute. So there's no signal processing

happening to the audio... it's all analog physics happening between the

pickup and the string.

If the "standard edition" streets under 4K I know a couple guitarists that are definately getting one.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

• Members

YYYYEEEEEEEESSSSS!:)

Damn, I've been playing for years with E-Bow and slide trying to do such stuff.. But that looks and sounds wicked!:thu: And I find the blue one rather pretty...

That's a whole new level in playing! Almost like a brand new instrument..at last! At last room to try new ways of playing :)

Can't wait!!!!

I can't imagine what it would give with wicked effects behind (Hi Fli, Lovetone, MurF, ...by the way, Pigtronix Mothership, when are you coming?????)..

But Damn it, i said I would stop buying guitars:mad:

Just hope they'll convert the price in Euros properlly this time!

But yeah, that's good news, GREAT news!!!

V

• Members

Couldn't they just come up with a MIDI-ready axe that has an awesome tracking (piezo pickups or something) + built-in USB 2.0 audio interface for $1500. I'd buy that, plus it's an incentive to buy more synths for some people, and maybe even Moog synths.

• Members

Infinite, controllable sustain is one of the holy grails for guitarists. I would love to see what Robert Fripp and Allan Holdsworth would do with one of these. I would definitely consider a sub $2K version....

• Members

Well I suppose this technology replaced the need for a usable midi guitar (which was taking too long to invent anyway)

In five years we'll all be able to buy a $300 squire version so i suppose I'll wait for that.

It is ugly as sin. It wouldn't be that bad if it was just all black.

Hopefully we'll see some moog basses soon.

• Members

guitars through MIDI interfaces controlling synths - really terrible

In what sense? Allan Holdsworth made a not-so-terrible :D career out of guitar controlled synths, AKA synthax. Al DiMeola made quite a few wonderful things with the Roland VG thingie.

• Members

the SynthAxe is a pure MIDI controller and the VG units are very sophisticated guitar processors.

both of the artists you name do a great job with those very cool tools.

however, Robert Fripp became nearly unlistenable when he threw away his GR-300 and started playing {censored}ty piano parts on a GR-50.

• Members

There are a lot of guitar guys out there that have 20+ guitars. You know, two or three of each flavor- strats, Les Pauls, Ricks, etc. This will give them a new thing to collect.

I resemble that remark... but ain't likely to ever buy one of these, unless they come out with a sub-$1000 version.

• Members

I resemble that remark... but ain't likely to ever buy one of these, unless they come out with a sub-$1000 version.

If this guitar is as great as lou reed says it is I'm willing to bet it will largely replace the electric guitar over the next 20 years, and as I said before I'm sure we'll be seeing some knock offs soon.

• Members

Upon giving this a harder look, I'm seeing six vibrating strings with a little more ADSR control. Is this really going to be that amazing?

It depends on how it's implemented. The person whose opinion from that video I value most is Vernon Reid's, and he seemed most impressed with the way the the strings muted, rather than the sustain.

To me, being a guitar player who used to do looping with lots of sustain and effects before it was hip, the most interesting thing in the spec list is the ability to control harmonics and the built in Moog filter. I mean, getting a lot of sustain is not too hard when you are using fuzzes, overdrives, and/or distortion. Sustain of an un-processed guitar string is really not too interesting sounding to me, although I can appreciate jazz players, mainly, digging on it.

The Fernandes Sustainer system has been around for a while and IIRC Fripp has used it for years. So, I'm curious to know just how significant the usefulness of the Moog system is beyond the Sustainer system.

• Members

however, Robert Fripp became nearly unlistenable when he threw away his GR-300 and started playing {censored}ty piano parts on a GR-50.

Don't be hatin' on Fripp.

Maybe you haven't listened to too many of Fripp's Soundscapes, either live or recorded. Though I agree that on the rare occasion when he uses a percussive synth sound - especially piano - it sounds like ass, but it is very rare. I like most of the sounds he uses, and it's often hard to tell if it's a GR or a VG. I don't know what his current setup is, but it seems he ditched the GR-300 when he started using the VG-8 since you can get similar sounds from it.

And yup, the Moog guitar is instant Michael Brook! I love the stuff he does with his infinite sustain. Have you heard the Fripp/Sylvian live CD where Michael Brook plays with them? Fripp and Brook together is quite a combination.

• Members

Don't be hatin' on Fripp.

Maybe you haven't listened to too many of Fripp's Soundscapes

i don't hate him. i have every soundscapes record and have been to 3 soundscapes concerts. i've probably spent more time listening to his soundscapes records than anyone in this forum.

this gives me the right to say my informed opinion is that his tone was better when it was the SansAmp PSA-1 and the GR-300. i also think that the post-ROMPler soundscapes recordings are not as good.

and yeah, Damage (the proper one, the first version, not the one that Sylvian {censored}ed up a couple years ago) is the most important album i ever heard. i even have the laserdisc (!!) of that tour.

• Members

And yup, the Moog guitar is instant Michael Brook!

Pointless attribution rocks the house again. I don't even know who the guy is, but if some "new" instrument makes me sound instantly like some other guy, I'm even less interested. "Dude, this strat is instant SRV!"

There should be a really expensive, rare Vintage Aged version, so you can pretend that you have a moog guitar from the early 70's with authentic finish wear, cigarette burns, and fripp-marks.

• Members

Upon giving this a harder look, I'm seeing six vibrating strings with a little more ADSR control. Is this really going to be that amazing?

I think it's more than ADSR. The transducers inject energy back into the string at the proper frequency and phase, so that the string can sustain literally forever. Or, an out-of-phase signal can be injected that kills the string quickly. That's why the strings need that special metallurgy: they need to vibrate when the transducers tell them to.

They mention using the foot pedal to pull harmonics out of the string, which I think might be done by setting the transducer frequencies to harmonics of the string's fundamental.

• Members

Sounds intriguing and sensible. Given that (for partially extra-musical reasons) guitar is king of instruments these days, it's low hanging fruit for any change that significantly expands its range.

I'm puzzled by the 'ugly' comments. Okay, it's ugly. But this is largely a synth forum and synths are among the homeliest collection of instruments I've ever seen. anyway, if you're coughing up $6500 why not toss out another $1000 and have some artist repackage it in an attractive body. It's only money.

• Members

They mention using the foot pedal to pull harmonics out of the string, which I think might be done by setting the transducer frequencies to harmonics of the string's fundamental.

As a guitarist I have to wonder why that's cool. On paper it reads like extracting the most annoying aspect of a guitar's sound and making it the controllable focus.

I'm not just completely downing the thing, it's just a very puzzling idea to come out of Moog and as questionable as the Freqbox. To the hype level of the musicians in the video; if someone invited you to Moog with the intent of showing you the new secret thing, I don't think it would matter if they showed you a Moog foam cup - you'd still be saying, "Omg, this changes everything!".

• Members

As a guitarist I have to wonder why that's cool. On paper it reads like extracting the most annoying aspect of a guitar's sound and making it the controllable focus.

See, I love the idea of having more control over harmonics. A larger range of harmonics off the guitar, through fuzz, OD, distortion, maybe a phaser, into a delay or two, would sound pretty sweet. Just not on every song.

• Members

Moog is really jerking people around. First people believed the Moog guitar was real, then it was admitted it was a fake April Fools type hoax. Now it's real again? Don't know what to believe anymore.

Too bad the synthesizer has become a forgotten and neglected instrument, an instrument that can create any sound imaginable, yet there are people getting all hyped up about the billionth model of primitive folk instrument, the guitar. I don't get it. Forget about the Moog guitar or any guitar and look into something called the synthesizer.

All Moog is doing is releasing all kinds of diversionary or rehashed products because they can't continue forever on recycled Voyager synth technology no matter how many times they come up with new color schemes, signature models, or new packaging of the same thing.

-Elhardt
"The synthesizer. The forgotten instrument."

• Members

If I ever got a crapload of extra cash sitting around, I'd consider picking one up. Imagine the wicked fun you could get patching in different CV sources into that one CV input of the Moog guitar.

I probably won't have much use for it myself, but would enjoy seeing/hearing someone else fark around with one in this manner.

• Members

Too bad the synthesizer has become a forgotten and neglected instrument, an instrument that can create any sound imaginable...

Except a really good electric guitar.

Or apparently, if one is to believe these forums, piano.

Archived