Amp advice - long story

Lock

• Members

I've started playing in a band again and I need some advice on a new amp (well, maybe). I'd ask the amp forum, but I really don't care much about amps - I just want it to be affordable, sound good, play nice with pedals, and, ideally, have reverb.

The only amp I own is a super champ xd (previous amp was stolen), which I love. It's perfect for practicing, the tone is good, and the reverb is decent. However, it does not have enough clean volume to keep up with a band. It can almost do it, but not without some break up and compression, which is cool, but not all the time, particularly when running delays into it. It also sounds a bit thin/weak at higher volumes - probably a result of the smaller speaker.

For now, I'm going to try and borrow a blues deluxe for practices, but my question is, since I'm 90% satisfied with the scxd should I try adding a new speaker and tubes, or a 1or2*12 cab to it to try and get a bit more juice out of it? Maybe buy another small amp and run it in stereo? Or it time for me to buy a 'real' amp? If so, what would you recommend? A drri seems like the standard indie-rock/effects dude choice, but it has a few redundant features and is too pricey for me right now.

I use an old 100+ watt SS roland with the jazz band that I play in and don't mind it at all, so I'd be open to a SS that takes pedals well.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

• Members

Do you NEED an amp? If you guys are always practicing or playing live with a PA, then for a good, clean platform that will take pedals well and translate accurately into a good FOH mix, you might want to check out the Tech 21 character pedals. Burgs did some videos showcasing how well these things work, and it seems like you could pop one onto your pedalboard and have an excellent low-maintenance and clean foundation for your sounds.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I agree with Hot Rod Deluxe if you plan on going out and playing in small places. Love the sparkly cleans. Dirt Pedal in front of it also.

Super Champ xD is good sounding modeling amp. Actually, really good, but too small for anything except home playing and quiet rehearsals.

• Members
Peavey Classic 30? Cheap, reliable, good cleans, enough power for your needs.

I'll look at that, the blues jr (tried it before, was alright), and see if any HRD come up used in the area. Is 40 watts overkill though?

I tried a princeton - it sounded amazing and had more clean headroom, but that was playing in a store, so I'm not sure. It did seem more sturdy and fuller sounding. The nice thing about it would be that if it could keep up with a band, I'd sell the scxd as the princeton would be good for practicing. If there was a 20 watt 2*10 princeton, I think that would be basically perfect.

The PA where I'm practicing is broken (we're screaming instead of singing :facepalm:), so a sansamp is out for now, but a decent idea.

• Members

I checked around for used amps:

There are a few clean HRDs available for 650-700 here and a vibrolux reverb for 800. There is also a Peavey Delta Blues (1x15) for 400 - any thoughts on that model? (These are canadian prices.)

• Members

the peavey delta is held in high regard around here.

I might low-ball on the delta and see what happens. I just made 360$ for playing teh jazzzz, so a 300 offer and a 350 compromise would work out. An HRD or anything 500$+ would require some real job money and budgeting.

Archived