Who uses a Tim or Timmy with an EL84 amp?

• Members

I've tried my Tim with two AC15TBXs, a Bad Cat Cub II, Laney VC15 and VC30, and now a Cornell Rambler, and I've not managed to get to a point where I like the Tim with any of them. Pedals like the Screwdriver and RAT work great, the RAT especially going great with EL84 amps. The Tim just doesn't gel for me. There's a lot said by people how the Tim doesn't suit Fender amps, which baffles me as I love it with Fender-type amps, but EL84 amps are a different matter.

If you use either of these pedals with such an amp, the posting of settings and general discourse on the pedal-amp relationship would be much appreciated. Failing that, post bewbs :)

• Members

the two pedals you said you like with el84 amps are vastly different from the tim.

i happen to love my tim through my AC30

Yes, I know they're different. That's why I was asking for people who use the Tim/Timmy with El84 amps for their settings. I love the Tim with 6V6 and 6L6 amps and it's still my favourite overdrive, but I've never got it right with EL84 amps.

• Members

Dano TOD (ssh), gain between 9 and 10 o clock, treble at 2, bass at noon, volume set for a slight boost. Running it into a Hayseed 15 as a light od. Sounds great to my ears with a tele, strat or LP.

• Members

I have a Tim and Timmy and use them with a TopHat CR and AC15.

I'm getting board with EL84 amps as of late. I've been using my Fender and Gibson a lot more.

With the CR and TopHat, I tend to cut the treble a bit. I find that this works for me.

What is it that you don't like? Too treble-y, bass-y maybe?

Archived