Now, what could this be?...

tape

• Members

Whoa whoa, back it up there.

Epoxy. Esplain.

I use epoxy resin to coat pedals instead of laquer or regular clear. it's a single thick coat that feels like runny honey and hardens into a plastic-like coat with a semi-glassy feel. it hasn't been applied i nthe picture yet.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew you did some artwork yourself, it looks great regardless

you do awesome work man

thanks!

I do my own artwork if I'm serious about a design and am making 10 or 20 of them. if it's a one-off prototype or just a proof of concept, I sometimes just use clipart. the final design of this will probably look very similar anyway. same type of patterns, general shape, choice of insect.....

• Members

today I tried a way to harden epoxy coats like 6 times faster! :o

normally after 24 hours it's handleable, but not super hard. dig your nail in and it'll leave a mark. I have to wait 48 hours before it's considered "done".

this time I waited one hour (just enough so that it stopped being so runny) and then blew theh airdryer on theh ottest setting for a minute or two. not too close or else it would ripple the still-soft epoxy. waited 20 minutes, then went at it again with the hairdryer for another few minutes. this time closer. repeated every 20 minutes about 8 times and it was already harder than it would of been 24h later! left it alone for a few hours and now as far as I can measure it's completelly done!

no more waited till the next day before I can assemble! {censored} yeah! I knew heat accelerated the curing, but I didnt think by THIS much

yes, this was a shameless bump

• Members

Oooh, what microcontroller is that? I really want to muck around with a microcontroller for pedals, but haven't had the time.

an AVR. I use the BASCOM compiler which is in Basiuc, so it's super easy to learn. good support / knowledge base too.

I've recently started tinkering with dsPICs too. ordinary PICs aren't as powerful as AVRs the dsPICs are really awesome! 16-bit!

• Members

What ever happened to the idea of the hollow earth "kit"?

I'm afraid of all the tech support I'd have to supply. it's pretty advanced and is guaranteed to frustrate a lot of people. since not all LED displays are the same, I'd have to show peopel how they work and which MCU-out pin is equals to which segment on the display. also the eeprom chip can simply not work for no reason at all. many guaranteed WTF moments.

though I am toying with the idea of supplying a schematic and a pre-programmed microcontroller with a big "advanced project" warning on it.

I dont know. I 'm tired right now. I just got back from acid mothers temple so I can't think.

• Members
I'm afraid of all the tech support I'd have to supply. it's pretty advanced and is guaranteed to frustrate a lot of people. since not all LED displays are the same, I'd have to show peopel how they work and which MCU-out pin is equals to which segment on the display. also the eeprom chip can simply not work for no reason at all. many guaranteed WTF moments.

though I am toying with the idea of supplying a schematic and a pre-programmed microcontroller with a big "advanced project" warning on it.

I dont know. I 'm tired right now. I just got back from acid mothers temple so I can't think.

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

• Members

an AVR. I use the BASCOM compiler which is in Basiuc, so it's super easy to learn. good support / knowledge base too.

I've recently started tinkering with dsPICs too. ordinary PICs aren't as powerful as AVRs the dsPICs are really awesome! 16-bit!

Cool. What specific model are you using?

I am only really fimiliar with 8051s at the moment because that's what I use at uni. I use C and assembly (as big of a pain as assembly is) for the programming. I think I'll have to look into some 16-bit microcontrollers for audio applications.

• Members

Cool. What specific model are you using?

I am only really fimiliar with 8051s at the moment because that's what I use at uni. I use C and assembly (as big of a pain as assembly is) for the programming. I think I'll have to look into some 16-bit microcontrollers for audio applications.

This one just uses an attiny861

hollow earth uses a mega88 (who comes up with these names)

I have several kinds at hand. I don't always need 2 and a half ports so I sometimes go with the smaller ones.

• Members
NICE!

this is the 2ed bitcrusher to come out of montreal in 2010!
:)
sign me up for one?

where are the jacks? everything top panel mounted!?

{censored}, i can't believe i missed AMT, how was it?

not technically bitcrusher. it's only samplerate reduction with blend control. but that's fine that was the goal. scott's is still way more versatile. ;)

jacks are on the side, like any pedal. I'll try and do a video tonight.

AMT were {censored}ing awesome! better than last year. I was front and center. Kawabata is insane. even with earplugs my ears were ringing.

• Members
Pics of the epoxy'd pedal!

Also, did you print the graphics on tissue paper? What adhesive did you use? Spray glue?

epoxy.jpg

it looks/feels like glass/hard plastic now.

the graphic are printed on lazertran decal paper. it's like printable temporary tattoos., except made for objects and not temp. you soak em in water, a thin transparent film seperates from the paper. the film is wha 's been printed on. it already has a kind of glue when it seperates but I like to put a quick coat of laquer between the pedal and it to help. while it's still wet.

• Members

epoxy.jpg

it looks/feels like glass/hard plastic now.

the graphic are printed on lazertran decal paper. it's like printable temporary tattoos., except made for objects and not temp. you soak em in water, a thin transparent film seperates from the paper. the film is wha 's been printed on. it already has a kind of glue when it seperates but I like to put a quick coat of laquer between the pedal and it to help. while it's still wet.

Wow, that looks GREAT! Awesome job mon frere.

I was planning on doing a full sized water slide decal. Is the lazertran super fragile? Will it rip easily?

And man, that epoxy looks amazing. Is it hard to apply? Is it hard to make it lie evenly, or does it kinda "self set"?

• Members

There's plenty of sample rate reduction pedals out there though. Although most are sample/hold based. It would've been tits to have a sample rate AND bit reduction pedal.

I know of a few, though I wouldn't say plenty.

although turning this one into a true bitcrusher wouldn't of been difficult, one big reason why I'm failing so hard with the hollow earth is I started making a really complex pedal in numbers right from the start. I want to start simple here.

I make 10 of these for $140. then much later I'll make several more with added bitcrush and sell them for $150.

• Members

Wow, that looks GREAT! Awesome job mon frere.

I was planning on doing a full sized water slide decal. Is the lazertran super fragile? Will it rip easily?

And man, that epoxy looks amazing. Is it hard to apply? Is it hard to make it lie evenly, or does it kinda "self set"?

lazertran is fragile, but if you're gentle it won't rip. I think I've had it rip only once or twice out of like 80 times. just be careful as you remove it from the water that it doesn't fold into itself and stick. it's a little tricky to seperate it from itself.

the epoxy is self-set, yeah. it looks like that with no polishing whatsoever. gravity does the job to smooth off the top. I just smear it right on with a plastic spoon. after a "first pass" 15 minutes later, I usually drip/smear some more on the sides because it will have dripped off a bit more there. like all things DIY, the first times are a little rough, but you get better if you keep doing it. the first couple times I did it, they were less even, too thick, and there was a lot of waste because too much would drip off on the side.

I really should to a youtube tutorial. so many people have asked for a guide.

• Members

I guess plenty was an overstatement, but if one wanted a sample reduction pedal, they are out there. There aren't really small bit/sample pedals.

I hear where you're coming from as far as features running away from you though.

Pedal looks great, as always.

• Members

Okay better idea. Adding "bitcrush" control is really easy, since its foundations are already there. Really easy. Like, 3 extra lines of code, three wires and one potentiometer easy. I wouldn't even have to change the PCB layout for more than 5 seconds.

I can't change this one because the enclosure's already done, so I sell this one for $125 and the rest will have bitcrush/samplerate/blend for $150.

Yay for improvising.

Archived