Overrated/over-appreciated Gear

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've had a lot of different versions of the Virus, and I'd agree - they are overrated.

They sound good, and the programming options are fairly decent, but it seems
everyone's
just gotta have one.

:confused:

good sound + many users = overrated

• Members

Man, sometimes it seems people forget completely about sound and get way too caught up in USB compatibility... And Im not suprised considering the synths you have- youre a TI fanatic correct?

Hmmm.... I really don't care about USB compatibility, although I generally prefer to work with synthesizers that have MIDI and patch memory.

I have a TI but I hope no one considers me to be a fanatic about it (or about anything else, for that matter). Many of the features I appreciate on the TI simply aren't available on vintage synths (or most modern synths), such as 16-part multitimbrality with completely independent and simultaneous multi-effects for each part (EQ, reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, distortion, etc.).

In working with more complex synth-only compositions, I find it easier and faster to create/assemble pieces within the framework of a MIDI sequence before ultimately printing all of the parts to audio. This allows me to retain 100% flexibility with regard to all of the various parts, as I often make many changes to previously recorded (sequenced) parts while adding new ones and/or doing re-writes.

Points of view on all of this stuff are affected by so many different things, including someone's personal creative process. Within the context of how I compose, and the process that has evolved for me across several decades, a monophonic, monotimbral synth like the Minimoog with no MIDI and no patch memory just doesn't have much to offer.

• Members
cigar box & rubber band banjo

-no sustain

-plonky sound

-hard to keep in tune

-and have you priced vintage cigar boxes lately?!?

C'mon, Doug! Nothing else has the tone you can only get from one of these!

cigarbox_95.jpg

Or, if you're willing to spend a little more cash, this baby:

mb0103b.jpg

• Members

Methinks there are two ways that certain things become overrated:

1. When a manufacturer writes checks (i.e. ads) that their asses can't cash.

2. When an instrument becomes so beloved that folk will insist that it's got THAT SPECIAL TONE THAT IS NEEDED BY [insert genre of music] AND THAT NO ONE ELSE CAN {censored}ING COP.

There are two instruments that fall under both definitions: the TB-303 and anything with the name Gibson or PRS on it.

(okay, that was obnoxious, but have you ever spoken with a guitar collector before? sheesh...)

• Members

cigarbox_95.jpg

I can't believe you people buy this sh*t. I once managed to eat half of cigar but felt terrible for the rest of the day.

But then... i dunno... maybe i did something wrong. See, i don't do drugs, alcohol, LST, cigar, etc...

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

Other than the occasional bickering, this has been one of the more infomational threads I've ever read, anywhere.

Here's one to chew on..."Expensive gear".

It's been said (here) something to the effect of the last 80% of the cost of something only netting a 20% improvement in quality/sound. Something like that...

So, along those lines, something that costs 20% as much only sounds 20% worse...It sounds like entry level (pro) gear with talent, time/patience and experience can net nearly equal results to the most expensive rig out there...

...At least I hope that's right. :)

• Members

I think almost all gear is overrated -
when it's first released

It takes time for a lot of people to get it, discover its flaws, and to be able to look back on it and tell whether it was
really
overrated, given what else was available at the time.

Lamest response ever.

Archived